Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ranchero build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sarahSERENADE, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Turns

Turns

Cool build with family history.

I am just finishing a low budget rebuild of a 1964 Ranchero. I really didn't have experience or a background in this era Ford prior but have worked through most things okay.

If I can help by providing input I will - keep going as you will be inspiring others

Regards Turns

2. Marcia

Marcia

How is it going?Can you post some pictures?
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like she's gone MIA. Last time she was on here was 10/27/20. Her dad @39chevymd hasn't been on since 9/20/20. As a transplanted Pennsylvanian and former Falcon 2 dr. wagon owner I always enjoyed her posts. Hope everything is OK and life just got in the way of progress on the Ranchero.

4. Marcia

Marcia

I'm slowly moving to Pennsylvania and only work on my truck on the weekends.
    I hope she doesn't get discouraged.
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. She was working on it pretty regularly and making progress so hopefully there is nothing seriously wrong. Her husband and little shop inspector were throwing in their hands to help too.

6. Hopefully just life got in the way for a while.

7. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

HELLO FOLLOWERS! I am back!
    Sorry for being MIA. Life has been a little difficult on my end, but persistence is key to a finished product! So far in the colder months we have been mostly collecting parts for the Ranchero, slowly growing an arsenal of car parts.. its actually insane. Not much physical work has been getting done however. Found out I have some medical issues that make it hard to deal with cold (not that it really was fun to deal with before) and makes me fatigued quite easily. Promise this is not the last you've heard from me tho! There will be more to come. Today I just went out to get the door panels made. Hopefully I can do that soon and when I do, I'll be posting the progress. I think that will mostly be inside so should be good to work!

8. Welcome back, Sarah. Your good health is the most important thing. Take care......Don.

9. Glad that you made it back and as LOTHIANDON1940 said "life just got in the way". We were a little concerned that something happened so take care of yourself first then do what you can when you can and the Ranchero will get done. Stay in touch here and we are glad that you kept in touch and let us know.

10. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

It's car season!!!! (Don't worry, I already apologised to my neighbors lol)
    So just some explanation of what's going on in this picture, I brought the door inside to try to get started for the season. It is still too cold for me in the garage, in fact just bringing the door inside I most a lot of body heat which took me a while to replenish, but it was still worth it. I'm going to be making a template for the door panels since mine were completely rotted when i took the doors off. I might get some flack for this, but this is what I did.. went to home depot to get some particle board or some kind of thinner wood board to make the (very) square door panels. I got some foam and marine leather from joann's. Once I get this process actually moving, I will show pics. Let me know if you are interested step by step of what I am doing. I will try to get pics of every step if there is any interest of how I am completing this, but I will need to know beforehand. So thankful for the warmer weather ahead! IMG_20210313_162743201_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my motorola one 5G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sporty45, AHotRod, loudbang and 9 others like this.
  11. Sarah. So glad to see to back posting.:) Damn I thought you gave up on us.:eek:

12. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

I'd never give up! Quitting is for quiters!
    Unfortunately been dealing with a lot, but with warm weather approaching there will be more posts. I have been gathering parts in the "off season" so that I can be a little prepared for working on the ranchero more. Hope I didn't scare anyone, it's just how it works out for me!
    With my job when I am working I can be there for 13+ hours a day, so when I come home from work or during the weekend it's hard for me to stay motivated when I also have a family that needs me as well. But summer months get less hectic and it's a lot nicer to be in the garage anyway!

Just got back from the dollar store to get poster board to make templates for the door panels and realized they're slightly too small. Don't have cardboard big enough either.. so I'm going to have to figure something out here, but yes I am still working lol

13. Glad to see you're still at it! Just tape two or three of those poster boards together and march on. :)

14. Good to see you back and your inspector is telling you to wash the window.;)

15. Aww come on mom, you know I have to inspect each step of this build.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

There's a plus to that picture.... He's not licking the windows. :D

17. Sarah, I have never used it but if you can find the corrugated plastic, like cardboard. I have read that several people are using it instead of anything that water could effect, wood. Check into that material before jumping in and associated moisture ruining your work in just a few years.

18. ......I think a lot of people are using tempered hardboard for door panels (and other panels). It's similar to Masonite, but I believe it's even more moisture resistant. I would avoid particle board, Sarah, as I would think, unless coated with something, it might attract moisture.

19. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

^^^X2
    Seal the opening with good plastic before installing your panels then if you are not using anything real water or moisture resistant just imo.
    Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

X3
    Used heavy plastic, like for greenhouse walls. sealed it to the door with 3M strip-caulk. Keeps mine water tight and durable.

21. Sarah. Home depot or a hardware store like Ace should have the thick plastic for a moisture barrier. Well worth doing for the door area.

22. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Thanks for the input guys! I actually have whiteboard material and want to see if I can get that to work.. I have water proof sealer for under the tiles for showers.. was going to put a layer of plastic under that as well. Way more sturdy than the original particle cardboard that was originally in there to begin with. Unfortunately the door panels do not cover the whole door panel, so sealing just the door panel I am making will not keep anything out. Mac has a seal set for a little over $500 that covers the whole car. Thank you, stimulus, I'll take that! Lol

23. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Just here to post an update picture!
    Obviously I didn't take it so it doesn't have as much detail as I'd like, but you get the idea image000000_01.jpeg

Gammz, loudbang, coupe man and 6 others like this.
  24. Just use masking tape to add additional poster board for larger sizes. HRP

25. Did you wash that window yet the inspector pointed out to last week?:mad: Or is that the sun glaring on it to look so dirty?:confused: Keep going girl.;) You are doing real well and doing what you like and want.:cool: I like what you are doing and just a little every week to keep it moving.:)

26. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

If memory serves me, on my '61 door panels there are a few holes at each end on the door opening that will accept the plastic christmas tree style fasteners used on modern stuff. We drilled the door panel board at those spots and inserted them before the upholstery to hold the door panels on when the panels were done. Works slick. Wish my panels were simple rectangles. That little channel they have to go into is a pain, especially with a curve.

Now back to the upholstery show!

27. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Lol didn't realize my dirty windows would be such a talk of the town, so to speak. Honestly it's a little of both. It's right near the window that directs the sun into our house, so there's definitely some glare going on, but at the same time it does have a little dust on it from working in the garage. Guess I didn't think it would be a big deal
    Thanks ok, if that's the most of my worries, I'm doing pretty great!

28. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

This is really interesting to me because the only thing that was holding the panels in on mine was the rails that were on top and bottom and gumby putty. I'll definitely have to check..

29. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Gammz, skot71, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  30. Not my issue at all but it sure is for your shop inspector.:)
    Inspector.JPG
    That is the one you need to keep satisfied so he will stop pestering you and let you get some work done.:p
    Really, you are coming along and making good progress.;) Will you get to drive it this Summer and take the shop inspector for some ice cream?:D Those inspectors all love ice cream.:cool: Even mine.:eek:
    106_0091.JPG
    She absolutely loves vanilla.