Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 GMC Glove Box Latch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatblack13, Jan 25, 2013.

1. flatblack13

flatblack13
    from Austin, TX

I'm stumped on stupid little thing. I've got a 64 GMC 1000 pickup. It didn't have a glove box door when I got it. The first mistake I made was assuming that a chevy glove box door would fit...no. Then I found a correct GMC glove box door that does fit. However, it needs a latch.

The holes in the Chevy and GMC doors for the latches are totally different. The opening on the Chevy is a large hole sitting on a box shaped hole. The cylinder slides through the hole. I can get those latches all over the place.

However, the GMC door only has a small hole for a screw to fit through. I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't find a GMC glove box door handle/latch. I can find plenty of pictures that confirm that the latch is different, but no one who sells them.

Any suggestions on where to get one? I'm ready to paint my dash and want to have the glove box sorted out when I do that.

I supposed I could cut my GMC door to accept the Chevy latch, but if I'm going to resort to that, I should to do it before painting.

2. 66gmc

66gmc

I have a 66 gmc and it doesnt have a latch, the hinge is spring loaded.

3. Danog

Danog

If I remember correctly, in my dads truck we used the latch assy. From Chevy Car it was smaller dia.

4. Join the best Chevy/GMC website on the planet, introduce yourself, and post up a Wanted Ad in the classifieds. Lots of GMC guys on there that can hook you up in a jiffy.

www.67-72chevytrucks.com

Don't be misled by the site name. It caters to all years of Chevy/GMC trucks.

5. flatblack13

flatblack13
    from Austin, TX

Thanks, I'd looked at that site, but never delved into it because I'd assumed I was pretty much excluded because of the year.

I'll definitely go there. I'll look into the car latch option also.