Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 64' galaxie wagon swap to 300 with AOD POSSIBLE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nellynel07, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

I picked up a rust free 64' galaxie wagon with the stock 223 i6 and 3 on the tree. That combo believe it or not can barely make this thing move. Not to mention this thing has terrible gearing my guess 4.10's or something crazy. She is a 45 mph cruiser but can run up to 60 if it has to but shes screams that little 6 at that 60.

Ive been wanting to build a stout 300 i6 for a few years now and just never had the right car to put it in. I think a 300 tourqe monster will move this big heavy wagon pretty good and strap a AOD behind it and she will be my daily driver so i can stop beating the crap out of my new ecoboost f150.

YES i know " just throw in a v8" well i dont want to. I WANT A 300! ( a turbo will be added eventually)

SO for my questions
    1. do the the big and small i6's share the same motor mounts?

2. will the AOD fit in the trans tunnel with out cutting it all up?
    (i did a 302 t5 swap into a 50' shoebox last winter and dont really want to do another trans tunnel)

3. gearing ideas with the 300 aod combo for a daily driver?

thanks guys!

2. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

Here's a pic of the old girl

Attached Files:

3. Fingers

Fingers

I don't know if the AOD will fit, but a 300 with a C4 and tall gears should work great, especially with the turbo

4. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

Ok thanks for the info.
    C4 is my second choice as an aod w/ overdrive would be nice for my drive to work but like you said the the c4 with taller gears would be a ok compromise.

Any idea on the motor mounts between the 2 diff i6'@?

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The AOD is not that big physicaly, and I would think it would fit, they had a fairly big transmission tunnel

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have a '33 Willys coupe with a 300 / C6 / 9". It uses 3.50 gears with 31" tall tires. I also have a '48 Anglia w/ a 240 / C4 / 9" w/ 3.08 gears and 27" tall tires. Those ratioswork well on the street and would probably be even better with an overdrive.

I do not know if an AOD will fit but since a C6 was available with the bigger V8s I'm guessing the AOD will clear with maybe the relocation of the trans crossmember.

By the way, if you want a peppy six that astounds folks at how well it moves your longroof try an RV cam (with metal timing gear upgrade), a 2 x 2 intake with small Autolite 2Vs or a 390cfm 4V, factory castiron EFI exhausts.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I have an AOD under the floor in my '62 Monterey Wagon (Same chassis and floor as your '64). It fit just fine with no mods required to the floor. The trans mount is about 2 inches further back on and AOD then the original Cruis-O, so plan on modifying the trans cross member. I would be more worried about the height of the 300 fitting under the hood of the Galaxie then anything else, especially towards the front when the hood starts to come down. I believe the 300 is quite a bit taller (and longer) then the original 223.

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

300 is the BIG SIX. It's related to the 240, not the SMALL SIX Falcon/Mustang family. 1964 should have been the first appearance for the 240 in the Galaxie, but that may have been in the 1965 model year cars.

I believe the mounts would be the same as a V8 on the frame side. There are a couple different mount styles for the 300, the common angled ones and a flat style used in the Bronco (as I recall) with a biscuit type mount (these are hard to find).

Have you searched on fordsix for info?

9. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Where do you guys get this 300 Ford 6 torque monster crap at ? I had a new 76 F150 4x4 300 6 with a 4 speed in Florida and it was fine there but when I came out west to work it was worthless, I spent my time in third gear when I came across any type of long hill, You will wear out an AOD trans when it spends its time shifting back & forth between high and OD in a wagon

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Check the height of the 300 first, the 223 nearly touches the hood. I would keep the stock rear gears, you need low gears to get that barge moving and the OD trans will cure the screamy feeling on the hiway.

Didn't like the idea at first but I think you have something there.

My brother had a 62 Galaxie convertible with six and automatic. It would take you anywhere you want to go at up to 65 MPH but performance was not in its vocabulary.

11. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

Ive got a line on a 300 out of a running van with only 80k on the dial. But I will tear I'd down have the block gone through and have my buddy ( recent SAM graduate ) play with the head.

It will be built to hold boost for a turbo in the future but will be NA for the time being. So not sure on what cam I'll run yet. But it will have a offy intake, longtube header if I am going with a rear mount turbo. Or the efi cast iron ones for a front mount.

Would also like to run a Holley plug and play eazy EFI or one of those options just have to contact one of the company's and see which is blow through capable or able to learn from na to a turbo. Doing this for ease of tuning. If I can't scrounge up the extra dough I'll have to get a blow through 4 barrel or the frenchtown suggestion.

Mtkowboy good thing I live in the Midwest and it's flat as pancake!

I measured the length of the 223 (32.25") didn't even thing about height. So Height is a good question.

I'm pretty sure its a 223 as was said to be original and intake and exhaust is on driver side.

I have done a little searching on fordsix but haven't dug into that sight too much yet.

Thanks everyon! Keep the conversation going!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  12. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

Here's what she is currently packing

Attached Files:

13. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

A little more background on what entails for the "slagin wagon" this winter is a rear 4 link if I have time if not the cheap easy way out in 2" blocks

Front I'm going with a 2" drop spindles and disk brake swap as well with a power booster.

Stereo ,
    speakers,
    rims and tires ( 15" chrome cragar Supremes I think )
    Some new glass
    Window seals
    And other goodies

14. finn

finn

65 was the first year of the 240 version of the big six (240/300) family in the Galaxy.

The 300 in my Econoline really woke up when I regeard it from 2.75 to 3.50.
    Shrill no barnburner, though.

15. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

I'm getting mixed dimensions on the 300 I measured my buddy's and from the bellhouing to the fan clutch was 35" which should work but would be tight I'd have to use a electric pusher fan Instead of a puller Or mech fan.

If it's 37" then it pretty much a no go. That would put me tight against the firewall and the radiator and I'd be back to square one of putting a v8 like every other galaxie in the world.

My 223 is 32 1/4 from the bellhousing to fan bolts

And 27" ish from pan to top of breather cap.

16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Don't forget that the 300 is mirrored with respect to the 223. I.E. the 300's exhaust and intake are on the passenger side, and the dizzy on the drivers. Makes it nice for steering clearance, but the exhaust and starter clearance can get tight.

17. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Okay, I'll help as best I can. I like the idea. If you look close at my avatar that's a 300.
    The measurements I got putting it in was 37" from the water pump pulley to the bell housing face. Yes, an electric fan will help. I don't know about the AOD but with the C4 attached the driveline measured 63". The height I'll guesstamate at 28 to 30" not including the height of the carb & air cleaner.
    The 240 & the 300 share the same block. The only difference is the crank & rods for the stroke. The heads are the same except the combustion chamber size & shape. thanks.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Look at moving the radiator forward some..I put a 300 in my OT 71 Torino with a 4spd, used stock trans monut and engine cleared firewall ok but radiator had to go forward..Height was close but everything cleared the hood..You may have to alter the oil pan for crossmember clearence..

19. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

seb Fontana is right, Ford made 2 oil pans for the 300 that I know of. A center sump one & a rear sump one. Both interchange with the right pickup tube. The center sump is the usual pan you will find. The rear sump pans were put in Broncos. thanks.

20. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

well my buddy just offered me a stout 390 that was built for a mud truck that was only ran a few times before the truck got wrecked. Comes with brand new eldelbrock preformer intake still in the box as well.
    everything for 500.00

i mean the intake was prolly 400.00 alone brand new.

so i think its a pretty good deal for a easy drop in. just need to figure out a trans that will bolt up to her and let me run highway speeds and still fit in the tunnel. prolly have to put 3.55's in it to help with that.

but he also has a 78 f100 2wd long bed rust free with a 300 in it siting in the garage next to it so maybe i can steal them both for a package deal and have both motors to play with lol