Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Galaxie... hacking the floor for a gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madgrinder, Mar 24, 2011.

1. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

ok, I remember I saw the other thread about the isuzu frame. You must have dug that car out of the ground lol

2. madgrinder

madgrinder

close :)

It came from a pasture north of Nashville. That same place was under 20 feet of water the next week in our flood.

I saved it :cool:

3. flat_mountain

flat_mountain

I'm in the process of doing this same install on my '64...small world :) Anyhow, I figured I would show a few pictures of what it looks like for those wanting to see. No intent to hijack, just inform those curious on the process. My floorpan is pretty shot so I just made a ladder frame to support the tank under the floor. If your floor is in good shape, this may not be necessary but I would recommend at least welding some sort of lip around the opening.

4. flat_mountain

flat_mountain

well, normally the pictures load ok. lets's try again...

Attached Files:

5. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

That looks sweet. Well when I have to replace mine I think I will go the same route. That is were mine is rusted as well.

6. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

not to highjack, but do you guys know if thers a tank smaller than the mustang but that is still flat on the top side so that i can use it as trunk floor?

7. madgrinder

madgrinder

The 16-gallon '64-'68 Mustang tank is flat on top and the '69 filler tube will almost mate with it without cutting. I chose the 20-gallon for the extra range... that 2" loss of depth in my trunk won't matter much.

What I'm trying to decide now is whether to make the flat flange on the back for an exposed gascap or make the gas-filler pocket a "sealed-deal" with drain holes to the outside. Since the filler pipe is now exposed in the trunk, the stock open filler tunnel won't work.