Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 galaxie 3 on the tree to floor shift ???'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54BOMB, Mar 11, 2007.

1. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I just got a 64 galaxe with a bench seat, 390 / 3 on the tree and would like to change to a floor shift, the previous owner gave me a still in the box hurst truck floor shift kit with the car but today I stuck my head under there and cant seem to see how it would fit with out a huge hole in the floor and Im pretty sure it would pop up under the seat. Any ideas, previous experience? I would like a floor shift but I might just buy the new collar (old one is cracked causing the shifts to be really sloppy ) for the original shifter so it will at least shift smoothly untill I can swap for a 4 speed or something.

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I converted to 3-speed floor shift in a '58 Ford. Happened to have the engine/tranny out when I did it, which made it much, much easier. I used a Hurst Indy 3-speed shifter/linkage kit. I had a bench seat, also, and the shifter location was still fine, ahead of the seat.

I'd say - try pulling out your tranny, mount the shifter and do some measuring before you end up cutting a big hole in the floor and possibly end up w/ seat interference anyways.

Just my $.02 - hope it helps.
    (See you at the LSRU?)

Malcolm

3. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Well there something very cool about 3 on the tree. You just don not see it much anymore. Call hurst and see what the application for your car is. I'm sure there must be one...

4. bohlsd

bohlsd

I have used a lot of floor shift kits over the years. I would try to get a quality shifter made for your application. The cheap, universal kits fit everything, but fit nothing right. A quality shifter is a pleasure, a universal is more aggravation than you can imagine.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. twofosho

twofosho

Before spending the money on a floor shift conversion, what about investigating the possibility of adapting in a Mustang world class T5 after doing the Jeep or S10 tailshaft/shifter adaptation? A little research (on the net and otherwise) coupled with judicious shopping and/or networking for the parts could probably get you there and with the right shifter handle it could look like a factory 4 speed installation unless someone crawls under and looks. Admittedly it wouldn't stand up to drag race like tire burning starts all the time, but overdrive with 5 gears forward would do wonders for the drivability/economy.

6. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Id like to work with the stock stuff for a while before I have to worry about what tansmission will fit with what pilot bearing, tail shaft ect. maybe later. Right now I just want to cruise it around with out having to hop out at stop lights pop the hood and yank the shift rod loose. I think its got high gears in the back maybe 3.08's so Id have to change that If I went with a 5 speed or something. I tried calling hurst but they havent answered yet. thanks for the answers so far.