Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Ford wont start, solenoid/coil question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54BOMB, Jul 9, 2007.

1. 54BOMB

54BOMB

My car ( 64 galaxie 390 ) drove to work this morning ok , then it wouldnt start at lunch, cranked and cranked but no spark, the "I" terminal on the soleniod looked pretty bad so I put a new solenoid and still nothing, can I run a jump wire from that terminal right to the coil and try that to see could get it to start, am I correct in thinking the "I" wire goes from the solenoid to the coil? any info would be helpfull , thanks.

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Dont have a schematic handy but that could just be the wire from the ignition switch to pull the contacts inwhen you turn the switch to start..
    Dave

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ya, the I terminal is the trigger wire from your key switch. The wire on the (+) coil should be hot on the key and in start. Check that first before changing any wiring.

4. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Thanks , In the process of testing stuff I realized my new F'n coil is cracked, Ill replace the coil and then retry it.

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The wire on the I terminal goes directly to the + side of the ignition coil. It bypasses the resister to give the coil more voltage while starting.

6. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I just wanted to jump those two together to see if that wire was the problem before I took the harness apart , If I made a jumper wire hooked the two posts up and it started then Id know Id have to start some wire repairs, but since I found my coil cracked I ll start with that. Its good to know, Ive not have had a car with a seperate solenoid before, so I didnt want to do it wrong.