Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Ford headlight questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54BOMB, Mar 23, 2007.

1. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I just got a 64 galaxie and the headlighs flicker on and off after about 10 mins of driving, some times you can gently wiggle the knob and they pop back on but once it starts happening it does every few mins untill you stop driving. I reached behind the dash and felt the switch and it was really hot. A previous owner changed the headlights to the newer style replaceable bulb and they are really bright. The same upgraded headlight they sell in the parts catalog say you dont need to change anything just install the new headlights , plug in the bulb and go.
    So my question is is this headlight switch thing normal for the old fords or is it because of the newer bulbs? Im thinking I should run a relay for the lights to prevent it from overheating. Sorry for the long winded question.

thanks

2. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

There is probably a circuit breaker in the headlight switch. The lights go off and on as the breaker trips and then resets.
    The breaker trips because of too much current flow. That may be due to the current requirement of the new lights. Any corrosion on any of the connections may make the current go up.
    The best solution would be wiring relays that are switched by the headlight switch.
    You can check the connections on the dimmer switch as they are subjected to corrosion and bad connections because of their location.

3. You got too much light for your wireing/switch.

Run the lights on a relay with a heavy gauge wire run either from your battery or alternator hot side ( or regulator hot wire). When you pull the light switch it trips the relay then the relay lights the lights.

4. Ed has it correct. There is a circuit breaker in the headlight switch that trips and resets. It's worn out basically. You could get a new switch or a better way is to run your lights fused directly to the battery and have them switched by relays. The load on your switch wil be reduced and most likely won't trip. The bonus is you'll get a full 12v to your lights so they will be brighter. There is a huge voltage drop associated with the wiring into the cabin on those cars.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Do I need a fuse between the relay and the battery, or between the relay and the lights? If so what size?
    Im also thinking of just replacing the lights with a normal headlight, you can get a good amount of light out of those and it would be closer to stock. I hate dealing with funky wiring "add-ons". I ordered in a new headlight switch but it hasnt come in yet.

6. You can use a circuit breaker also.

This site has a good write up diagram and parts list for the install.

The new switch will fix the problem of the "tripping out" but you'll still get a nasty voltage drop and if you ever change to halogens or other non stock lights you'll want to do this

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WiringHeadlightRelays.htm

Good Luck

7. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Thanks for the help.

8. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Ok I got the new switch but how do you take the knob/rod off the old switch and transfer it to the new one? The new switch doesnt have a knob on it?

//// ok I got it, button on the bottom ///

Attached Files: