Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Falcon V8 motor swap questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 215slowpoke, Jun 10, 2006.

1. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Has anyone here personaly done a I6 to V8 motor swap in a 64 Falcon?

What is all needed to do this?

I have a 302 and a c4

These are the things that i know of.
    -v8 throttle linkage
    -v8 motor mounts and brackets to frame
    -Ill make a bracket for the Trans

Do you need to run the V8 steering?
    I will be converting it to 5 lug so i will change to the V8 steering center link if its needed but im not positive. Is it a oil pan clearance issue?

Thanks,
    Travis

2. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

www.falconparts.com got all the engine + trans mount parts you need for 289/302 +c4... check them they got trans mounts aswell

maybe you knew of them already but still, i haven't ordered from them so no idea if they are good or anything but still..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963...ryZ34200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

incase you wanna run an grant steeringwheel....

i got an 1961 falcon futura 2dr that i probally will put an 260 or 289 into if i keep it, i will probally get the stuff from falconparts.com...

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

I've done a '63.

Same thing...

I got the Motormount Brackets from a Junkyard ( The part that bolts to the car, I copied the ones that bolt to the Mount itself out of stout Angle Iron )

For steering I first tried '64 Mustang Steering parts with the original Steering Box ( I believe they come in two spindle sizes, the Car had the right one )
    Bad Setup... Lots of bumpsteer.

Replaced that with R&P setup based on a Hyundai Rack.
    Nice light steering, no bumpsteer.
    But the box had to be offset from the center for clearence, and that limited the lock to one side.

Replaced that with the original Steering setup out of a '65 Mercury.
    Rare, expensive, but really the only way to go...

Front Brakes off a Granada.
    Brake Booster, and mount off a Torino.
    8" Rear out of a Maveric ( bolted up to the original Rear Springs at first, untill I broke one, replaced with deached aftermarket )
    Front Springs off the Granada that donated the Front Discs, cut to length.
    Front End kit from PST ( They will assemble the kit for you to match the parts you used, different taper on the Granada Rod Ends, etc...)
    Aftermarket 1 1/4 Front Swaybar, 3/4 Rear, Good Shocks.
    Aftermarket Dual Exhaust for a '64 Mustang ( exelent deal at $150 without the hardware, had to modify it a bit...)
    Stock Wheels off a Granada or LTDII ( cant remember which one...)

Turned into a really nice Driver...

4. On my 60 I have 65 V8 Falcon center link, idler arm, strut rods, etc., Grenade spindles, discs, etc., Mustang rebuild kit from Canadian Mustang (I think), and the stock 60 steering box. All this for a turbo 2.3L swap.

Thanks,
    Kurt

5. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Ya, there are two different steering boxes.
    Do you think the problem with the mustang steering bumpsteer was because the angle of the tie rods changed when you lowered it?
    Did you have the 65 v8 falcon centerlink that is suposedto be the thing to have?

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

No, the Mustang Rails are not in the same place as a Falcon ( farther apart, I believe)
    So the V8 'Stang Centerlink is very different from a V8 Falcon/Comet.

First year of the V8 Falcon was the '63, so the '63/'64/'65 Falcon/Comet V8 parts will work. ( 6Cyl stuff looks way to light...)
    '66 was completely different again.

I put the Mustang pieces on because a guy who Road Track Raced a Falcon Sprint V8 told me that was the hot setup.
    Maybe with super stiff Springs & Shocks it is ( not much suspension movement )
    But for the street I did not think it was acceptable...

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Will suspension pieces from a '63 V8 Fairlane work on an early Falcon?

8. kentucky

kentucky

I think the falcon parts are the only ones that work properly. The Mustang centerlink is about 2" or so wider than the Falcon, and not just wider in the center, it's also wider between the tie rods and pitman and idler arms.

I have a 64 1/2 Mustang pitman arm and 65 Comet centerlink with new V8 64 Falcon tie rod ends and sleeves. All lying in a neat pile in my garage:eek:

9. The Granada spindle geometry also adds to the bump steer issue on early cars too. It is the same on '65/66 Mustangs. The geometry changed in '67 on Mustang ( 66 on the intermediate and Falcon) and more closely matches the Granada. Stu