Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 chrysler newport power steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadWarrior13, Oct 25, 2010.

1. RoadWarrior13

RoadWarrior13
    from Louisiana

[​IMG] 64 chrysler newport power steering
    <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> o'reilly says they cant rebuild my pump and my steering box is going too. what are my optoins? tried searching couldnt find it

and another thing the doors are sagging is that usually a bent hinge issue or is it just an adjustment issue?

2. lorodz

lorodz

a friend of mine has a steering box and steering column complete with pit man arm if it will work from a 65 newport let me know ill hook you up with him

3. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

the 65 steering wont work in the 64. been there done that. bolts in fine but turns opposite direction. rebuilt one 1966 and put the 65 worm and piston in the 64. had to take it back apart because when i turned left it went right.:eek:

4. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Sagging doors on a mopar are usually because of worn bushings in the hinge assembly. There are rebuild kits available from any good mopar related resto part vendor--Herb's Parts, Stephen's Performance, Year One, etc...

5. RoadWarrior13

RoadWarrior13
    from Louisiana

Thanks for the door hinge kit companies ... What about the Steering Box.... ..Are there any other aftermarket non mopar parts that I can substitute in for the original steering box on my 64 Newport .....

6. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

You might look at a company like Firm Feel for the steering box... You can get a box that would feel more like a modern car rather than the typical super light '60s and '70s power steering. They are kinda pricey but worth it. That and rebuilding the front suspension with poly bushings and adding some good gas shocks and radial tires will make the car drive and handle far better than it did when new.

Here's the Firm Feel page for C-body Mopar power steering:

http://www.firmfeel.com/powerst_c.htm