Register now to get rid of these ads!

64-66 Chev-GMC pickup Tach dash questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I just picked up a gauge cluster with a tachometer in it for a 64-66 Chevrolet pickup at the Goodguys in Scottsdale.:D

I have a few questions about using it.
    I'm planning on using this on my '64 C10 with a 292. It is currently running the first gen HEI unit for that engine.

I know most aftermarket tachometers are V8 or 6 cylinder specific. I think most of these clusters came in 2ton trucks, so, I am wondering if I will be able to use the tachometer on my 292. I know some of the 2 tons came with 292s, but, some came with 409s too. This tach has the 4 grand redline.

[​IMG]
    1: What am I going to need to do to tell which engine this tach is for, and will I need to adapt it for my use? OR, am I overthinking this?

2: Since I switched to HEI, what do I need to do to make this tach work with HEI, or will it be ok as is?

Thanks

2. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i don't think hei will bother it. i think they used a sun unit under dash with the gauge and that is where you select cly's. i might be wrong, but i had one with this setup and i think it was original. good luck!

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

67-72chevytrucks.com

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I had an old tack from a 63 Impala and if I remember correctly it was stamped 8cyl on the back.

5. F&J

F&J

Also, that redline is an adjustable tab, it can be reset anywhere because it slides.

The earlier 60s truck tachs needed the Sun transmitter box, later ones were stand alone. A I recall, the later ones, if you peek indide from the back, it will be crammed full of components, where the transmitter type tach head is quite empty :)