Register now to get rid of these ads!

64-65 Riviera parts needed and questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRDDETROIT, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Happy New Year HAMBers,

My 63 Rivi has developed a slight rod knock so I am pulling the motor. I have purchased a freshly rebuilt 64 or 65 Riviera 401. Rebuilt from pan to intake. It also has the 3spd auto trans with it. I need to have that gone through But, it Looks to be in good shape.
    My questions... Does anyone have or know anyone with a 64-65 crossmember and will it bolt in place of the original 63? Or will the 63 crossmember work?
    Also, I need a 64-65 shifter and console indicator.
    And a 64-65 front drive shaft.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated.
    Anyone who has done this swap, I would appreciate any help and wisdom.

Thanks

Dave

2. (cue superhero music) "This sounds like a job for Flat Top Bob! :cool:"

Call Owens Salvage Co 800 798 2581. Talk to Bob. He should have the parts you need ;) (I know he had a coupe Rivis last summer)

3. The shifter is the same if you have the 64. The 65 is different. They had a special shift body for 64 only so they didn't have to change the shifter (Trying to figure out how that was cheaper).

4. slacker1965

slacker1965

try the riv forum @ AACA... it has been discussed over there....whatcha doin w/ your old drivetrain?
    http://forums.aaca.org/f177/
    I have a 65 parts car, but think you are better off sticking w/64 parts....

5. Thanks guys. The new motor is bored 30 over, balanced, bearings, new cam, rebuilt heads. The trans is an ST400 that goes with it.
    As far as the original motor. I havent decided yet what to do with it yet. It runs great (except for the very slight low knock at idle) it has 117,000 original miles. Its been well maintained over the years. I've driven the car to Detroit and back and its my daily driver. I still drive it occasionally to keep the seals from flat spotting. Its a 401/445. The trans works great and I had new seals put in it about 8 months ago.
    If I decide to sell, You guys will be the first to know. As for now when I get the new motor out here, the original will be put on a stand and stored.

Thanks again for the help

6. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

On the console indicator isnt the pattern P N D L R for the dynaflow trans?
    The ST400 is normal right? P R N D L1 L2

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. The 64 is PRNDL

8. The engine and trans i am selling is: 63- 401/445 with the original dynaflow.
    The engine and trans I purchased is a 65- 401 rebuilt top to bottom with a 65 trans.

The original motor and trans are in really good shape. I had new seals put in the trans about 6 months ago. I still drive it around town but, Like i said It was gonna cost me more to rebuild the original motor than what I paid for the new motor and trans combined.