Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

On the Mustangs there was a one year only D code 289 that the super stock guys like to use as a loophole for weight breaks etc.
    It was an early 289 4 barrel rated at 210hp.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. There was a lot of very low number 'specials' built back in those days. While the 'D' code Comets were never NHRA stock legal, Ford of Canada built 50 271HP Falcons that were. These were also the only Falcons ever available with a 4-barrel motor from the factory until the very end of production when Ford switched to the stripped Torino body for the 70 1/2 models.

3. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Scott, Cannot make it to Flint.Dave said he's bringing his BFX car,which I believe has the 289 w/webers.Not the cammer car. Have a blast if you go.
    Myron_

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Picked up this latest Elapsed Times to find a nice Ford/Mercury feature you all might like to check out.

Attached Files:

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm looking forward to seeing the B/FX car too.Im really looking forward to speaking with Dave if he has the time to answer a few questions about the cars.....I absolutely love those A/FX and B/FX cars....The 'golden age' of factory backed racing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I have a 1964 Comet Cyclone with the Daytona Package and it does not have a D code. It does have a K code with a 6 digit DSO designating the Daytona Package. There is no D code in the 1964 Comet and the 1965 B/FX Comets had an A code.

7. Falconred

Falconred

It has always been my understanding that the figure was more like 7 or so of the Canadan HiPo Falcons. There were some 289 4 barrel Ranchos built in the US, 210 hp I guess. I don't know about wagons, did they get the 4 barrel engines?

8. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

[​IMG]
    Taken from a link on Facebook. I cannot recall seeing any pictures of this car...

9. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Also, I have a pair of nice driver-quality rear '64 lenses for sale. PM me if interested, would rather they get used on something, then sit. THX.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;there is an 850 Holley DP [not a HP] for sale up here on Craigs list,$200.00.I got one header tube repaired,fired up the Comet,still have a slight exhaust leak,can't seem to find it [I hate exhaust leaks] !!. ROY.

11. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Next time you're on FaceBook check out Canton Automotive Machine Services.Go to their photos.They have pictures of it,especially at the bottom of the page.

12. 65COMET

65COMET

I think there was one photo on here waaaay back in the posts,taken from about a 3/4 front shot.It obviously is not a factory B/FX,they were Cyclones,not Calientes,cool Comet though! ROY.

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Yeah, I like this one. It has a real nice patina to it....

14. frankie3555

frankie3555
    from Leeds, Al

I used to live in Littleton, Colo in the 60's and went to several drag races in the area. Once..maybe at the Mile High Nat's I saw a father son team running what I believe was a turqoise Thunderbolt named My Fair Lady and a 67 Cyclone with a SOHC 427 painted metalflake red called Frivolous II. I think the t-bolt was A/MP and the Cyclone B/MP. I found this pic of Frivolous I sponsored by a Denver based Joffer auto body. Anyone know any more or seen pics of these cars? After more research , I found that Bob Joffer raced a SOHC mavrick in 1970 maybe he is who owned these cars. He has passed away so...[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  15. apound

apound

Saw this at a local cruise night last night.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      489.2 KB
      Views:
  16. 65COMET

65COMET

Alan;looks like a beautiful 65 Cyclone!Very Nice! ROY.

17. SOHC427

SOHC427

Frankie3555, get ahold of Ken, mercuryjunkie, on the board, as he has lots of knowlege of the Joffer cars and history.
    Eric

18. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

A little Bob Joffers History. Wish I couldve seen him Race, A true Colorado Ford Legend.

64 Thunderboly My Fair Lady ( Ex Marv Youngman Courtesy Ford Thunderbolt)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

66 Cyclone 427 SOHC powered

[​IMG]

427 SOHC Maverick

[​IMG]

429 Boss Maverick

[​IMG]

A second 429 Boss Maverick

[​IMG]

I Dont have a pick of the Boss Mustang , Cobra Jet Mustang, or 67 Fairlane.

Definetly connected with Denver Ford Dealers back in the day.

Out of all these cars , so far the 427 Sohc Maverick Exsists, Almost done

[​IMG]

Contact me on the side Ken

19. frankie3555

frankie3555
    from Leeds, Al

WOW! I've been looking for those cars forever! THANKS!

20. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Attached Files:

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;thanks for posting,good looking group of Comets!! ROY.

SOHC427 likes this.
  22. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

7.13 @94, on the 1/8th mile. 97 degrees, with a 10-15 mph headwind. I' ve still got alot of learning with this new combination. The new fuel system has totally solved previous issues, but now, I think the 4.55's, connected to those 30 inch tall tires, will be the next project to tame. I've done the 1/8 to 1/4 mile conversions, but the car definately feels faster than an 11.19 car. I wished we had a closer 1/4 mile track.....

23. 65COMET

65COMET

My bumper scraper was quicker and faster than that!!! Dale,I think you just need SEAT TIME!With EVERYTHING being new,you need to just get used to what the beast wants [ a third pedal and a Jerico]!!! ROY.

SOHC427 likes this.
  24. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Myron Woodward had some nice Comets, would like to have seen yours next to that Convertible....

Good Job Dale!!! You and Roy are right -seat time good notes and patience will get you much faster!.......Al

25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Havent been on here much, its been a busy summer. But I was able to get my NHRA License . Finally, and I was able to do it in Colorado on Colorado"s oldest Track, Julesburg Dragstrip. Being a History Nerd I wanted to get it where legends had raced.

Heres myself and friend Dale

[​IMG]

Density Altitude of 7800 ft and a Headwind cant stop the Comet. Love the Flag.

[​IMG]

On the same Date which is also is my Birthday August 23 , 1964 at the same Track Julesburg Gas Ronda, Ed Terry, Marv Youngman, and Rick Hearn Battled.

Gas Ronda v. Marv Youngman

[​IMG]

Ed Terry

[​IMG]

Lightweight out of California traveling with Gas Unknown

[​IMG]

Colorados second Thunderbolt Rick Hearn v Gas Ronda

[​IMG]

Colorados 1st Thunderbolt Marv Youngman

[​IMG]

Getting ready For the California HotRod Reunion in Oct. For those who can go , sounds like a Bunch of Cool Comets are going to be there. Good time to get your butt out there and hang out with us.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  26. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Very nice 1964 Cyclone owned by "Studemike" of Illinois.The paint is Ford Aerostar Jade Green and the engine is a 351W with Trickflow heads.Mike runs a C4 and a 9 inch with 4.11 gears and CalTracs.He runs 12.20 ETs at Nostaglia Events.

Attached Files:

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;GREAT old photos and information! Congratulations on being a "LEGAL" nine second player!!! Steve;nice looking 64! Where is it located? ROY.

28. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Roy, The Cyclone is located in Millstadt Illinois.A little more info on his set up...he is using a Weiand Stealth intake with a Holley 700 and 9.0 to 1 compression ratio.

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;Thank You for the information! ROY.

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;what is with the wheelie bars? I looked at your photos from Julesburg and noticed them! ROY.