Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

MoKanMan;I do not know how I missed your older post! I read through this thread A LOT,guess my OLD brain forgets some things!!! Thank You for the refresher on the car!! ROY.

2. OldColt

OldColt

SLCK64, I just Googled the old F/X weight breaks. All I know would be the general classifications from back then. Heck, I'm trying to remember back to my High School era for 1965. There are probably guys older than me that actually built Gassers, FX'ers, Modified Production, SS & the like around '65 that would have a good knowledge of the rules, or maybe even an old rulebook. You might try some of the drag racing specific forums on the web. --- Steve ---

3. 64Mercury

64Mercury
    from Australia

I have been reading this thread for a while, some fantastic pics & great info, I was surprised to see my Comet & Merc truck on here. As Roy said I have only just finished the truck but the Comets been on the road for over 20 years, nice to hear you like the setup. John

4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

John, I Like Your Style. Any More Pics? How about some Drag Pics of your Comet in Action. Im not sure about that Driving on the wrong side of the car, I dont think I could Shift Left Handed. Ha Ha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;any news on the FE for the 64 Comet? I have my clutch/flywheel out and back to McLeod,that suckers was toast! ROY.

6. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Not Looking Good Roy, The whole year may be lost. I'll have to call you.

McLeod always told me you can get two to three seasons, Funny I cant get to 50 runs

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I'm only getting 40 or so!The flywheel wear ring was so cupped it was holding the disc up and cut a grove into the clutch hub!!!That really sucks about your engine[and money]!!!! ROY.

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

There are some Comet pics in my thread about the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green

9. 64Mercury

64Mercury
    from Australia

Hi Ken, you have a great setup yourself, that photo could have been taken in 1964. It depends on your point of view as to whos driving on the wrong side, I have driven LH & RH it doesnt really make a difference. I am building another 64 Comet similar to yours race only, this ones only a street car its running a 302 stroker & c4, its run a best of 10.88 125mph in street trim on pump gas & street MTs. I usually run Nostalgia drags here, but have been running the national series lately, I was runner up at the Australian Nationals last nov, just completed a 1200 mile round trip to the Winternationals with the Merc truck & comet on the back. heres a couple of more pics of the Comet for you. John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Great Shots John, That is so different seeing the dash backwards like that, The Gas Pedal clear over there next to the Kick Panel. Looks like Fun to Drive.

You will have to keep us Updated on the new Build, Are you Following NSS rules? Are you doing any type of Tribute car

A lot of NSS guys on here , dont hesitate to ask advice.

11. 64Mercury

64Mercury
    from Australia

Hi Ken, thought you might get a kick out of the seeing the reversed dash. The other Comet has been in the family since 1970, used to be the family car & tow/push car for my dads blown hemi FED in the late 70s early 80s. I have been working on it off & on for a while, other projects keep getting in the way, now the Merc truck is done I will have to get back on it. I have a copy of the NSS rules & will build it along those lines, if I need any advice I will be sure to ask, we have no bracket here like that, but if we can get enough cars to suit we may be able to make one, there are a few other cars being built as well. not sure about doing a tribute, I am leaning towards just an authentic white with red interior, I like what you have done with your 64, looks fantastic. John

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;looking good! Make sure you seal up the water transfer holes[both sides],seems to be an issue on a couple of FE powered cars I know of!What is wrong with that pan?Nothing a SKID PLATE won't handle!!!!!! ROY.

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

The transplant is finished. Massive horsepower and compression never sounded better, and the smell of newly cooked on VHT paint is permeating throughout the house, much to my family's discontent !! Roy- get yer clutch fixed........ An epic race is in the making......... Lets not discuss firing order mistakes......:D

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;you still have scrub engine information on the brain!!!! It is all in McLeod's hands,been about 6 working days for them!! ROY.

15. Falconred

Falconred

This was one of the few times that I have gotten on here with out finding any new posts so I thought I would fix that. This is from a Dick Brannon Ford South Show several years ago. They are running on pit road at Atlanta Raceway. The Comet is a Nicholson look alike with added injection, the Plymouth is a reproduction (?) of the Black Arrow-Bill Jenkins car.

Attached Files:

16. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thanks for doing that! We've been a bit dry, lately... Nice picture !!!

17. 65COMET

65COMET

The Comet is part of the 422 Motorsports group,quick car,I believe it is still Fuel Injected,FE powered and with a 5 speed transmission!! Dale;get the "ROCKET" ready,got the clutch/flywheel/trans back in,a few little items left,then on to Irwindale Thurday[hope it cools off some]!!! ROY.

18. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Glad to see you have your parts, hope someone is there to video the race so we get to view the excitement. Does a red light lose or is it a race to the finish line?......Al

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;Dale and I have not discussed any rules yet! On our last match I went red in the second and last round,but it was just for fun for his Camaro Craft article,they wanted action photos,didn't use any!! ROY.

20. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy- remember, I think they are closed this week, for the holiday.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;YES,I finally heard from Bob Beck that they are closed!!I guess I'll find a deserted road[yea right,fat chance]and try and seat the new clutch before I leave for Washington!! ROY.

22. SLCK64

SLCK64

It was really cool to see both of your cars in CarCraft. That's my one car rag I subscribe to. You called it CamaroCraft, which is pretty true lol, but I do like that they cover mid 60s drag racing styles pretty regularly. It was just kinda neat to be like, Hey I "know" those guys! Maybe one day I'll actually see the cars in person!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

It was a year of Comets in Carcraft, that was for sure. Roy's, then mine, then Todd Hoffmans injected black monster. I think we should be inducted into the Mercury Hall of Fame. Or at the very least, Roy needs to be inducted. Not 'cause he is the oldest mind you, but he has owned his car since it was practiacally new!!!!

24. 65COMET

65COMET

SLCK64;I'm glad you liked the Comet issues in Car Craft.I have[along with MANY others]called it Chevy Craft,Camero Craft,Chevy Crap,etc.,I still subscribe,have since the late 60's.Like you stated,they do cover some old school racing,just WAY too many Chevy articles!!!!Like Dale[teddiesnoke] said,I've owned my 65 since spring of 1967,been a race car since 67,started as Pure/Stock,them Stock Eliminator then bracket racing,and like my CC article said,I've spent WAY TOO MUCH!!!! ROY.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;YES,I am OLD,but I've kicked your Young ass on the track WAY TOO many times!!!Lets hope your new engine and slush box can hang with this Old Timer and his 4-speed!!!! ROY.

26. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Those seats are so flemsey,that is why NHRA needs them to be reinforced[like that one is],plus you would need them supported by the rollbar and need a headrest installed in order to use one.They would be OK in a show only type car,I would not want to use one!!! JMO , ROY.

28. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Good luck to Roy, on his trip up the West Coast! I'll be at Irwindale trying to dust off the cobwebs, so I can give him a match race worthy of watching! My car is no longer the zippy little 11.60 car it used to be! Finally had some good seat time in it, out on the big long streets, Hopefully Roy and I can compare times, to see if it'll even be close (I'm thinking he'll be the one now chasing me down???!!)

29. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I saw a post on Facebook today that of the 12,000+ 1965 Cyclones made, only 400+ have survived.Which started me thinking.If only 7,454 1964 Cyclones were made,how many have survived?I would like to start documenting the 1964 Comet Cyclone and start a registry.I will need Data Plate info.If you do not want to post your info on this site,please use my e-mail; [email protected] I will post results(no Data Plate info) on this site and keep every body up to date. Thanks,Steve.

30. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I was digging through a box of items. Anyone need a set of driver quality rear taillight lenses for a '64? Also havew the sunvisors as well...

Thanks, Dale