Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks, I will give these a look over.

2. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I been in this car hobby for a long time. Street rods and Drag Cars are two Differant things.
    The faster you want to go the more it cost. Light weight parts, axles, spools, engines, trans, driveshaft, tires, rims, electronics, special jackets & helmet, seat belts, and they check for Dates. It's just expensive fun. Then they charge a lot to get in the track, even the Gas for the 110 octane, is $77.00 for 5 gals. of gas.
    and there more. AFX DAVE

3. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Falconred

S&W is a great company to work with. They sent me a copy of the CAD measurments of their 11-3570, 60-69 Falcon/Fairlane/Comet roll bar kit. I compared them to my 65 Falcon sedan body and made a few minor changes (main hoop a little wider & taller). they bent it to my specs and it fit like a glove. I couldn't be happier with it. It was right at $300 in EWS. Good luck with your build.....Mike

4. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I had that type roll cage done in my 66 Comet. The Comet nice but the roll cage looks like Crap. Nice looking 66 Comet, those poll cages have to be TIG welded " not Stick or Mig Welded " if your running that slow I guess it doesn't matter. AFX DAVE

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. Falconred

Falconred

What worries me more than how fast I'm running is the car in the other lane may be a second or two faster than me and coming at me at 120-130 MPH. I am going to, as my buddy who started the car said before he passed on, "I'm gonna slow them to death".

I know this is off topic but these are the cars we raced before his health went back and he had to sell the last one. The first car is a small tired car with a pretty good 351 and the second in an old Don Hardy car with a Kassee built 351 that would run 9:90s but we ran it around 10:0s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  6. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Here's a local detroit company producing some Comet metal (and many other makes).I was told they are considerably cheaper than Autokrafters or Dearborn Classics.
    No 64/65 quarters yet tho.

http://c2cfabrication.com/ford/mercury/comet/

7. I used Chris alstons roll bar kit for my 64 hardtop falcon, with the swing out door kit. I'm really happy with it and reasonably priced

8. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Contact Dan Rashley over on FaceBook on the Mercury Comet 64 open group site.He knows the history of this Comet.He posted about it recently.

Attached Files:

9. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

Cool! Will do.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

fiveoh108 is now a Comet owner,may soon be a two Comet owner! I went with him to help pick up a 65 Cyclone,all the trim is on the car,no engine or trans.It needs paint,interior,engine/trans,better wheels[at least four that match],etc.,good,solid body,just a few dings and surface rust.Mike may be heading to Oceanside[CA.] to pick up a 64 Cyclone this weekend!That guy is HOOKED!!!! ROY.

11. SOHC427

SOHC427

Pics Roy, we need pictures! You know the rules!!
    Eric

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;I would Love to post pictures,do not have the capability right now[borrowed computer],Mike has some posted on his 64 Falcon build thread! ROY.

13. [​IMG]

Apologies if repeated.

14. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

15. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

It actually changed hands last week.

[​IMG]

16. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I was wondering if the new owner drag races the Passing Gas Comet or just for show? And who built the 427 SOHC Engine? Yep! I got to get to work on my Comets. I have three 427's to build, all for Comets. ~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~

17. Judd

Judd

Dave
    All he did at the Southern Gassers meet in meridian, MS was put around and make one pass at about 1/3 throttle. It would be cool if the new owner would race it.

18. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Now- If I could only get this thing to install itself.......
    [​IMG]

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;looks great! Floor jack!!Looks like I may need to get busy on my clutch,need to be ready for the match race!!! ROY.

20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Looks like Dale is shooting for you Roy! Dale that's quite the pretty site, your car looks good in background too!.....Al

21. OldColt

OldColt

Wow, thats one good looking rear end. Is it the camera angle, or are those rear wheel openings stretched a little?

22. 65COMET

65COMET

OldColt;They are stretched as are the fronts!! Al;YES,Dale is out to get me,I'm not worried though,I have 60+ cubic inches on him and he is running a slush box!! I'm looking forward to our Match Race,will be on the 1/8th mile track,may need to stick my 5.67s back in there for that short sprint!!!We Match Raced a couple years ago for his article in Camaro Craft,they did not use the race pictures,it was a tie,as I whipped him in round one then went RED in round two,so we loaded up and went for PIZZA,good thing we did,as my 12 year old batteries died when I went to start the Comet!!!! ROY.

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Now, wait a minute there, Roy!! That new ratio is a 4.55 !!! I had to take out the 5.89's just so you did not think I had an unfair advantage!!

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Got mine out and hosed it off the other day :D
    [​IMG]

25. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Very nice 296v8!

26. 65COMET

65COMET

296 V8;nice looking 65 Comet sedan!! ROY.

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;you should have left the big gear in there,you WILL NEED IT!!!!! ROY.

28. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I am looking for a 1964 Comet Cyclone with the VIN 4J27K521200...Thanks.

29. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

This was posted by racer-x on the altered wheelbase thread.

attention all ford and mercury fans. this weekend at great lakes dragway the original tom coward tomcatter comet will be on display. this car has been fully and accurately restored. it is a fully documented four speed car. i think about 20 were made. dont hold me to that. this is the first public showing since last raced in 66. it will be there both sat and sun. this car is so cool even a hard core mopar guy like myself can go nuts over it. original photos from the day will also be displayed.

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This is so cool I cant Handle it. Thanks Jody Wish It Was Mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]