Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

It appears there will be a Match Race between my 65 Comet and Dale Snoke and his 64 Comet next month.I hate Barona Drag Strip,but I guess that is where it will be held[I hope they have water for the burnout box this time]!I do not have a schedule yet but I think it is a best of three match! ROY.

2. cbcafe

cbcafe

The body code for a 202 2 door is 62A. The 404 2 door is 62B for bench seat and 62C for bucket seats.

3. I tried to post a link but it wont work.
    FEForum thread this AM. Titled O/T Flashback Central

There is a post on the FEForum about the photo's in the George Klass collection. Which seems to cover Factory cars from 1959 through about 1967.

Page through all of the Chevy-Pontiac-MoPar photos to find the Factory Ford cars , Thunderbolts, Mustang and Finally the Comet section. A lot of Comet pictures I've never seen.

Movin/on

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  4. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks, I will check. The body I'm thinking of building is kind of a grouping of parts, it has three or so little crome pieces in the center of the cove on the front fenders, trim around the drip rail and trim panels near the bottom of the rear of the top. I don't think it has any other trim on the sides. I'll let you know what I find out when I check the codes.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

All Comets have the three trim pieces on the front fenders and all have the drip rail trim!The sedans all have trim at the bottom of the "C" panel[sail panel]! ROY.

6. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Real race cars have three pedals! Watch the tree Roy!:D

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;it should be a good race,Dale should have time for some T and T before we race,Irwindale [where he tests] is 1/8 mile and so is Barona.I hope to have my rebuilt clutch/flywheel assembly back and installed in time!I may have to setup my 5.67s before the match!!! ROY.

8. Mummert

Mummert

We just ran our y block shootout at barona last weekend. I can verify that there was water in burnouts box:). The track seemed to be prepped pretty well. The coupe had good 60's once we played with the pressure and shock settings.

9. Judd

Judd

I finally have some progress to report on my Comet. I'm to the sand /paint/sand/paint stage. I stretched the rear wheel openings forward 4" and eliminated the top of the lip on the opening for slick clearance.

Attached Files:

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Judd;LOOKING GOOD!!!! ROY.

11. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Whoa Judd,that is very cool looking.Great job! A side view shot would be cool when you get a chance.

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Nice looking car, Judd!!!! Nice to see us all being busy bodies on our rides!!
    I just finished tacking up and adjusting the new set of headers for the new engine combination, after Roy was so kind to let me know his recipe!! I'm sure he left a thing or two out of the info he gave me, just so he could stay ahead!!!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All joking aside, many thanks to you, Roy, for assisting me with the dimensions! I think that these equal-length (tough to do- lemme tell ya!) headers will really help the Rocket put out the mail!!! They ended up at 12 inches primary step @ 1 3/4", 25 inches secondary step @ 1 7/8" for a toal of 37" with 3 1/2" collectors.

13. Muttley

Muttley

What kind of clown would drill a bunch of holes in their splash apron? :confused: ;)

14. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Attached Files:

• C1.png
      C1.png
      File size:
      225.8 KB
      Views:
    • C2.png
      C2.png
      File size:
      202.5 KB
      Views:
    Deuces likes this.
  15. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Your Comet is looking good Judd!
    Myron that car is missing the 9" if it was a real Hi Po. Although its his story and Im not interested in buying it. Nice car to look at though. Hope weather turns out good for the Reunion at Milan, it was just to dark and cloudy for me to strike out for the 2 plus a touch hr. ride.
    Instead I'm installing my tie rods & drag-link, have material to finish covering hole from OEM 4spd., have brackets finished to also install kill switch today, fuel lines are done w/filter to the pump. Need to measure line for filter#2 so I can get that done and mounted. Sometime this month it takes a ride for carpet installation, headliner, and fitment of rear seat, side panels and package tray.....Al

16. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I've noticed your absence from the site....start posting again! And I still think the holes in the splash apron are for aerodynamics!:rolleyes:

17. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

The Comets were out in force today at Milan for the Detroit Dragway reunion & Billetproof car show.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  18. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

more mercs

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  19. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

A/FX Dave...how was the re-union?Do you have some stories and pictures to share?

20. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, I havent been posting much lately. The Comet has been parked for a looooong time due to lack of funds so it's hard to stay motivated. :( The holes comment was just a little jab at Judd because I did the same thing a few years ago. ;)

[​IMG]

21. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nice pictures Myron, your car is looking good. Weather looked decent, I had some sun but biggest part of day sprinkles and rain. Did any of those have FEs?
    Did you notice what Maroon car ran and his ET, the car looks stout.....Al

22. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I did get my work 95% done!.....Al

Attached Files:

23. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I was out at 2012 Reunion at Milan last year with the 65 BFX Comet. This years Reunion was 3 to 4 times the size of last years. I seen people I haven't seen in years, I took a walk around the pits I could not believe how large it was. I needed a larger table to display stuff. I just wasn't prepaired, had to move cars around to get the AFX ready to go. I was Lucky I had Larry & Stan to help out.
    Arnie Beswick was over barroing stuff that they needed for Tempest. I could see the Rain Coming from the West, we loaded up and left for Home. I had good time. AFX DAVE

24. Judd

Judd

SHHHHH Muttley don't tell everybody I'm a clown I'm trying to pass my self off as an expert! LOL.

Ted the headers look great and that engine compartment makes mine look like s&%t.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Judd;what is your wheelbase now?Is the Comet ready for Drag Season? ROY.

26. Falconred

Falconred

Who makes/sales a good roll bar or cage kit for a '65 sedan? The car isn't going to be fast enough to require a full cage so it could use a 6 point but would a 10 or 12 point be a good idea while the work is being done. There is not enough money in the build to take to a shop for the work but I have a friend who is the best welder around.

What does it cost if you farm out the work required to "back half" a '65?

This car is going to be built using about 90% used parts on a very small budget, just a fun bracket car. Paint optional, NOS rust is some places,

This is in GA.

27. Judd

Judd

I put an S&W 11-3070 in my 65 Comet (2dr ht) and it worked great.

28. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I had a 12 Point Full Cage put on 64 Comet Hardtop all Chromoly with the plates bolted to the floor with 4" plates and on both sides the sheet metal also Welded to the Shock Towers with plates. I Designed it at work so everything would fit. It was only $2700.00 about 15 years ago. I had put a new Roll Cage in the in the 65 BFX Comet but it was a Half Cage with Chromoly also only $1700.00. All my other cars have crapy roll cages. Just plain old Gas Pipe like the old days. " You get what you pay for " AFX DAVE

29. http://www.swracecars.com/store/196...et-8-Point-Roll-Bar-OSCARItem_29=11-3070.aspx

hope this helps.