Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Very nice . FE big block or 460 based big block ? either way thats neat !

2. Cyclone64

Cyclone64

Thanks Al, your car is looking sweet as well. Here's some pics of my Cyclone's. Jim[​IMG]

3. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Jim,great looking pair of '64's!
    Welcome to the forum.
    Myron_

4. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nice Jim, what a collection! What do you flip a coin as too which you'll drive today? lol.....Al

5. SLCK64

SLCK64

Well it's a 4 door Caliente. 289 4-speed. I probably weigh a little more thanks yours did so maybe farther down the alphabet than what yours was?

Also should say I wanna keep it 64/65 rules, not sure if they changed the class designations in the later 60s. Thanks!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  6. SLCK64

SLCK64

7. 65COMET

65COMET

If you look under the 64 Comet section,page 4, it shows 4 Door,289,210HP Auto.It looks like M/SA[M,Stock Automatic],as your engine combo with the Automatic.First column shows body style,look over from there to engine size,then look at horse power,then transmission type,then at the top are the class designations,click on "M" and it will high light your information.In 1965,a 289 4V was rated at 225HP,so they would have been classed differently. ROY.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  8. SLCK64

SLCK64

Well, my rebuild was mimicking the 271hp variety. Also swapped in a 4-speed, was told its from a 68mustang(I picked up the correct tail housing), but I figure they didnt change much from 64 up to 69 with those.

Basically its like i swapped in a Hi-Po set up, minus the rear end(for now),. still running the 8" with 3.00:1's.

I am not at all going to be running in actual class racing, just gonna be doing grudge matches at the vintage drag days(i.e. Meltdown Drags and a couple others). Basically want to shoe polish on the markings, like "Joe Schmo from down the road got a hot set up in his everyday car and wants to play with the big boys on Sunday and prove something" from 1965.

EDIT:: Or am i looking at super stock class with that swap?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  9. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Heres a new pic of the Shake, Rattle and Roll Comet. Courtesy of Steve" The Sniper" McBlane . Picked them up at Maple Grove.

[​IMG]

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Another great shot from Maple Grove of a 64 Cyclone From Steve

[​IMG]

11. I'm pretty sure the second shot is the "Cyanide" Comet that has recently been restored.

12. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

"Cyanide Comet is a 1965 this Pic 1964

13. ec164

ec164
    from MI

just a small update: got my shifter frame done and fit, so show a couple pictures. To remove I just pull a pin and slide off post.....Al

14. 65COMET

65COMET

That does not look like a 4 speed shifter!!!!!! Got the old Comet to run a 10.30 at 130 in the heat and altitude today[90+ at 2100'+] unfortunately went .063 RED! ROY.

15. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Sorry about pulling the red, Roy. But, still impressive times, in oppressive heat!!!

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I think the heat caused a short circuit between my brain and left foot!!!!Shreded a trailer tire too,not fun!! ROY.

17. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, not your fault the tree was slow..... 10.30 is only 3/10ths from Godsey..... He better pick it up a notch, or Special Ed will never let it go, a Small block is running with a big block!!
    Pretty impressive, Roy!!!!
    Eric

18. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Right now I just wish I Had a Car that Ran. Good Job Roy

Eric these two cars just came up for sale in the Neighborhood. Damn I wish I had extra cash. The 65, Not only does it have an Original Cyclone Hood and grill its also a 4 speed Car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. FEDER

FEDER

Anybody here from the PNW ? Were gonna have a nostalgia race at Pacific Raceways July 13th and 14th with a N/SS and A/FX class. Anybody interested contact Me @ [email protected] We need Comets. ROY Ill be calling Ya soon!!

20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

The Ole' Comet is making some power Roy, glad to see your efforts are paying off. Positive note on the RED"you were'nt sleeping" if your not ready you can't win, take some air out of those front runners......Al

21. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

That's something to be happy about !..10.30s in the heat...Sweet !

Rooster

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Al,Rooster,Eric and everyone else;thank you for the kind words!! The Comet is a joy to drive,that old truck engine just seems to run no matter the weather!!Now,I just need to tune up the driver!! ROY.

23. Impressive ET Roy and glad to hear the comet is running so good. Hate getting a red light but then I hate being late also. better luck next race.
    Roger

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;Thank You! Is your Comet ready for your opening race? ROY.

25. No, I'm going to start working on it next week. I will work on the tune up, new slicks instead of the Mickey Thomson street tires and then work on lightening the comet. Depending on cash I may buy a new carb. I tried a friends carb a couple years back and gained 3 tenths with no other changes.
    Roger

26. Cshabang

Cshabang

took the ol girl out of the garage for a few hours the other day...Sat there and stared at her realizing its been nearly 10 years shes been in and out of storage...Sorry for the crappy photo

Attached Files:

27. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Cshabang,the ol girl is looking great! Use and enjoy that machine...I've already burned half a tank since spring hit!:D

28. Cshabang

Cshabang

THANKS! Id love to, but I hurt another Dynamic C4 , and storage has been rough on her..>Shes scheduled for a complete rebuild once I get my shop set up, my barn and garage fixed up, my yard cleaned, landscaped, etc- they told me owning a house is a never ending situation...Its finally sinking in .haha..I did take her around the block though

29. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

OK guys

This is a call for help. Do any of you by chance have a 1965 AHRA, NHRA or NASCAR rule book in your memorabilia collection? I'm trying to help a neighbor reserect a barn find back to true 1965 /FX, /XS, /SX, etc and a scan of the rules would be a BIG help.....Mike

30. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan