Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Muttley, thanks for posting that! It showed another delete plate, for a Chrysler, that I have!!! Original! I just could not recall where it came from !!! Nice! Maybe its worth enought to pay for kids college!!! HA!!!

2. the duke

the duke

hate to post something from ebay, but if you search comet radio theres a original delete on there right now.

3. SOHC427

SOHC427

Dale, don't be a puss... -10 here in Colorado, but I didn't work on anything but beer!
    Eric

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;70s here in Commiefornia today!! I tried to contact Dale,he was supposed to run the Rocket last night at Irwindale! ROY.

5. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Dale,you piqued my interest...what do you have up your sleeve? A third pedal?:cool:

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;Dale had a fellow racer help him with his 289,found more power! He also has a stout 351W in the works! No third pedal that I know of,YET!!! ROY.

7. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Roy, did Dale put a tune on the 289? Or did he swap out some parts? Head work,cam and compression? I'm curious because the 289 is one of my favorite engines to work on.I'm always looking at different combinations and tunes for it...Steve.

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;Dale had head work done,complete new fuel system,pump,filter,lines, including a fuel cell,not sure about other tweaks.He is hoping to get some test time in before the March Meet,looking for 11.50s or better. ROY.

9. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I'm glad Dale got it all sorted out.The Rocket is a really nice Comet and I want to see it run just as nice.The 289 is a good engine and can make good power.I really like short stroke engines..they scream.What rear gear is he running?I'm using a third member out of a 65 A/FX Comet with a 4.71 gear and Detroit Locker.I shift the BW T10 at 7,200 rpm.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I'm up in the 5.80's gearsets now. Shifting at 8k. It screams, but seems to like it up there, with the old Alan Root heads re-worked . Valve springs will now be an issue, but after the March Meet, the new match-race Windsor will be installed, and the 289 will sit idle, for a bit. Got another ""secret weapon"" it'll find its way into.... Just took it out on the street for a drive yesterday. No leaks, newly found power, and 'most importantly', a fully articulating full throttle (I've only had 3/4 throttle for the last year and a half!!!!!) will make for some eye opening test sessions in a couple weeks.... Stay tuned....:)

11. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I went through all 325 pages of this thread and can't find what I'm looking for.I'm looking for a post of a 65 A/FX Comet with the specifications listed beneath the car.Please re-post or tell me where I can find this...:confused:

12. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Steve;
    As far as I know there isn't any, originaly they were like the 65 BFX Comets and they got changed not long after that to lift bars like the one shown a few threads back with the round pipe that tied the subframes together. The one in the picture looks good. Where the bars attach to the rear housing are closer to the center like a T Bolt. They were twisting the housing on the 65 AFX Comets. They were also adjustable 2" forward or rearward depending on the track. The 65 AFX Comet had the correct neutral location for that lift bar with that spring. I was a chassis designer years ago and did a drawing of a rear spring geomerty just to see how close it was. It was right on, where the 64 AFX Comets are not on except for Dyno's Dons and Sox Comets. AFX DAVE;

13. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I should clarify that the A/FX specifications were listed under the picture of the Comet.I know I saw the post twice on this thread and can't find it now.If I could just remember whose 65 A/FX Comet was used for the specs...

14. David562

David562
    from usa

Any tail shots? Not a huge Ford fan, but man do I like a Comet of those years...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Hey Muttley! I'm looking for a post that showed a 65 A/FX Comet and the specifications for what the A/FX Comets came with. I'm hoping it was one of your posts and you can re-post it...you always did have the rare stuff to post! Thanks...:cool:

16. Muttley

Muttley

I dont remember posting anything like that but I'll check the archives and report back.

17. Photo by Jdurand, Indy 1964

Attached Files:

18. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Steve keep looking because I want to see those A/FX specifications if they were made before December 1964 or after Feberday 1965 and what A/FX Comet thy came from? I have too many projects going on this year! -AFX DAVE-

19. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Now I know what specs you are talking about! Those traction bars below the rear springs are the same as the BFX cars. That is what twisted the rear housing so the pinion was in the up position. Those were the traction bars that Stropp put on the 65 AFX/BFX Comets. Any body that runs a Original Stropp traction bar setup will twist the housing if your car is hooking up. I bent the housing on my 65 BFX car with a 289ci. Replaced it with a narrowed 63 Ford Galaxie housing to the 64 Comet specs. Then use "Cal Tracks Bars" even hooked better.
    The 64 now 65 Jack Christman Comet is a compleat Differant story. AFX DAVE

20. gasbag

gasbag

Have photos of '64 Winternationals/Pomona with some
    shots of the Ford cars - go to
    quartermileclassics.wordpress.com

21. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

I believe the following to be correct. In 64 Chrismans afx comet was not a mercury program car (I.E. not one of the original 21 or 22). It was a stock comet received from Helen Sachs dealership in Downey, CA, driven to Stroppe's shop nearby and modified as we all know to compete against the Dodge "Chargers" and win. This was authorized/requested by Fran Hernandez. This same frame even went on to be re-bodied as a 66 Comet after Chrisman wrecked his factory/Logghe supplied 66 Comet. Chrisman re-purchased his old 65 from Dee Keaton to finish out the 66 season. Wasn't much left of the original car though except the VIn number.

In 1965 this same car was re-skinned as a 65 with a SOHC motor (but still sporting the 64 VIN #) as noted and became one of the 8 program cars authorized and sponsored by the Mercury Drag Program. The 8th car was Doug Nash's BFX comet.

Also, it should be noted that neither the Moyer car (which by the way was delivered with a medium riser motor) nor the McCormack cars (two different cars by the way) were factory program cars. They were both privateer efforts unsupported by the factory other than moral and phone support. Turner and Hernandez wanted them to run as well as possible so they passed on technical help sufficient to help them run well.

Len

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  22. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Neither of these cars were factory authorized. Sam Auxier purchased his from Moyer who purchased it from Stroppe. McCormack owned the Lagana car and also purchased it from Stroppe. McCormack's car was delivered on the same rail car as the other 3 "East Coast" cars. The factory authorized cars were the Two Nicholson cars, Rachanski, DeLorean, Beswick, Doug Nash's BFX, Chrisman's reskinned 64 to 65 car, and Hayden Proffitts car. The last time the McCormack/Lagana car was seen was around 1975 when it was still sitting beside the dealership. At the time the dealership was dissolved/closed. Alan McCormack does not know what happened to the car nor does Billy Lagana.

Len

23. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I found the spec sheet....

Attached Files:

24. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Steve;
    I have the same spec sheet with the original car, several things aren't correct on the sheet! Those windows on the Comet in the pictures are what on the Comet now have.
    Al Turner made those up for the Rossi / Beswick, Dyno Don, Christman AFX and the Doug Nash BFX Comets, the originals were steel framed w/vent window from Comets with Plexglass. Those Halibrand Rims never came on those cars when release from Bill Stroppe, the 65 FX Comets were the first cars to use Spoke Crager except those special Comet Center Caps. Everybody else got the SS Center Caps. Those Traction Bars were installed on the Factory 65 AFX Comets after those housings started twisting except for Nash's BFX. The rest of the specs are correct, Those 65 AFX Comets were updated every weekend like all the other Drag Cars out there. If I am wrong please let me know, iam still learning! -AFX DAVE-

25. Mummert

Mummert

26. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

How's it going?

27. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

We had a pretty good night. I wasted two runs,not swapping out the plugs that I left in the car from Japan. Stupid me to assume they would clear up. The gas over there did havoc to the car, IMO. So- the third and final pass netted us a 7.69 @90mph. The new plugs showed it fat, but its a good place to start up in Bakersfield next month. Also- it still pulls through the 8K chip, sooooo, time to throw in the 8,200 unit. Listen to the video, and watch the screen vibrate the second I tap the chip:: DOH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuiDFrpMZKA

28. 65COMET

65COMET

8200,I thought you said you were spinning that poor little 289!!!!Sounded pretty good[except for hitting the limiter]!! You NEED that third pedal and a Jerico!!!! ROY.

29. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Dale,do you run the 5.80 gearset at the 1/8 and the 1/4 mile tracks? And is the 289 breathing better now? Steve.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013