Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

No, I did not. Can you send it again?

2. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

OK Dale
    Sent it again.

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

That wagon is plain Badass looking!

5. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Is the Red 64 BFX Comet got the Fiberglass lightweight parts or is it a Steel car. Is it a 289 ci engine with let's say 347 ci I was just wondering! The only BFX comet I ever saw in 1964 was Doug Nash from Garden City, Michigan and he ran at Detroit Dragway and Milan Dragway. By the way I never seen a 1964 Comet on the Dragstrip that wasn't a AFX or BFX Car back then. No Plane Janes!! 1965 was a different story. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

6. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

The 64 was all alone at the car show (owner not around). I was intrigued by the "Nally-Nicholson" sticker on the vent window & the webers. It appears the owner did a meticulous restoration or clone. However, without a magnet couldn't tell if it was glass or steel & I didn't look that close.

7. Falconred

Falconred

"I was intrigued by the "Nally-Nicholson" sticker on the vent window"

For those who don't know, Don Nicholoson ran a dyno shop out of Nalley Chevrolet in Atlanta for a period of time, that is where the "Dyno Don" originated as I understand it.

8. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

You are right about Don Nicholoson running a Dyno Shop in Atlanta Ga. That was when he ran the 1961, 62, and 63 Chevies. After that he went to real Drag Cars not the family 2 door Chevrolet Sedan, He saw the Light, the 1964 Comet AFX with a 427 High Riser. Then he got the first 1965 SOHC 427 AFX Comet Cyclone. After that one of the first flip top funny cars ( Comets ) and so on.
    Before going to Atlanta Ga. he worked in a Dino Shop in Southern California in the early 50's and Drag Raced Chevies out their. The guy that was with him in those years was Tom ( The Snake ) Jones he did all the misc. jobs work. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

9. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Please post any pictures of a 1965 A/FX Comet named Goldfender.I went tnrough this entire thread and found a few,but not many.Paul Rossi was the driver.Thanks.:cool:

10. I have the common picture. It is one of my favorite 65's.
    [​IMG]

11. Here is another one.
    [​IMG]

12. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

[​IMG]

source Detroit Dragway page on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  13. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

This is one clean(& Tough) looking post car I came across on flikr..

[​IMG]

14. speedtigger

speedtigger
    from Florida

I am really thrilled to find this epic thread. The 64 Comet Caliente is my favorite car. It is the only car I would trade my 65 Skylark for. Even though this thread is huge, I will likely read every page.

15. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

And worth every moment you spend reading it..

I still cannot believe the wealth of knowledge, vintage photos, and just plain cool people that are on this thread. Now, I'm leaving to go see if I can whoop some arse on some of them at the track!!!!:D

16. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Whoa...Now them's some wicked ladder bars!

[​IMG]

17. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Good luck Dale!

18. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

19. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

20. I did not know that. I know Rossi was racing it by the end of July of 65, I suppose 66 models may have been at the track by then.

21. 65 comet

65 comet
    from ohio

Im building a 65 comet saden straight axle. I have the choice of putting a 351 cleveland 2x4's or a 302 with a factory 2x4 intake. The cleveland is built more and would be faster, but the 302 looks more correct. Which way should i go? Thanks for the in put. mike

22. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Well, it was a great day for racing in Socal! Lets see- - - many hangovers from the previous nights drinking ,with none other than Junior Johnsons hooch being passed around.

I probably had one of THE BITCHINEST match-ups during qualifying today at Mooneyes Christmas Show, against Scott Duprons black '64 Comet. We schuffled around in the lanes, only to match up on the line, and it was one of the closest b/fx-style matchups going.! I only hope someone grabbed shots of our race. The numbers are so back and forth skewed!! I swear we were across the finish line at the same instant but the timer showed I won by a scant .0325 sec.
    Scott: Dale:

r/t: .700 r/t:.547
    60' 1.750 60' 1.906
    330: 5.137 330:5.30
    1/8th:7.998 1/8th:8.119
    mph: 85.86 86.96

I did lose to the Yankee Peddler Mustang driven by Gary Smith in the first round of eliminations. You could only dial tenth's, so I hit a 8.159 on a 8.10 dial to his winning 7.715 on a 7.70 dial. Bummed out, but put up a good fight the comets did!!!

23. Dale a video and a couple pictures for you! It was a great show and a great day. Sorry my cell phone does not have the greatest picture quality.

http://youtu.be/Kx4YSt6cXQk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  24. 65COMET

65COMET

65 comet;use which ever engine you like best.There are NO rules unless you are trying to make the Comet look like a B/FX car.You already are going against the B/FX look by using a sedan and a straight axle.The factory Comets were hardtops,stock type front suspension,like in the last two pictures in post #4787,that is/was a B/FX 64 Comet. I say build it to whatever makes you happy! ROY.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  25. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Mike:
    First it's your car do what you want! I only seen One 65 Comet Saden in 1965 running a 289 Hipo in BFX in the Detroit area. To make it period correct a 289 (302) engine is the way to go with a 351 Cleveland with the 2x4's people think it should go faster than it went, maybe the 9,s??? I weny up against a lot of Hemi & 440 Mopars, they just don't want to race my 289 BFX Comet. I have have been told by several that they can't win, but they always loose. If they Loose there Buddy's Laugh at him and if they win there Buddy come back to them a saw you got Beat by a 289 comet Ha Ha Ha. By the way I was running 11.25. Mike like I said its your car do what you want. Just have fun with what you brung. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

26. Ernie the Attorney is gonna keep runnin' from me every time I see him now until he pays up. I had my A+ game on yesterday until either electrical or fuel gremlins came to roost. I'm beggin' Dave F to get me into the A/FX sandbox for future races.

27. Damn you guys were passin' hooch and didn't share???? I though y'all were friends of mine LMAO!!!!

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Gary;DF will let you play as long as he needs cars to fill a 16 car field! Look at HIS rules on the ANW website! He needs to add a few,Rules subject to change with out notice,it is my show,so I make the rules! ROY.

29. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, seems the same rules apply in Bowling Green, as well. with the mopar wagon man, too.

Yankee, way cool pics! Thanks
    Eric

30. Hell of alot more fun running Hot Rod elim in Bowling Green!

Roy:

Starting saving your gas money! LOL!!!