Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Was wondering if anyone would know if the wheel cylinders on a v8 comet and mustang are the same.My falcon is a 64 hardtop with 65 comet spindles (I wanted the 5 lug set up) and my rear end is an 8 in. from a 65 mustang and it's finally time to buy a master cylinder and get my brake lines for my drum to drum set up,no disc.
    I do not have a flaring tool and I was wondering what way to go about possibly buying some pre-bent brake lines...?

Thanks in advance,
    Muncie

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Wheel cylinders for V-8 Mustang,Comet Falcon of the same vintage are the same.Get a dual system master for a Mustang too,direct bolt on.The best way on brake lines if you don't have access to a brake line double flaring tool would be to measure each line and get the straight preflaired lines at your Auto Parts store.You may be able to find prebent lines through Dearborn Classics,MACS or Auto Krafters,or you may be able to use some lines from a 65/66 Mustang. ROY.

3. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Classic tube for pre bent brake lines.

4. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Thanks Roy and Money maker for your suggestions!

5. Merritt

Merritt

Thanks b.guggenmos, the springs and bars are Calvert pieces, tires are Hoosier 29 x 10. The front end is stock.

Is the car in your avitar yours? Must be pretty stout pulling the front wheels with Cragars on the car, I wanted to put Cragars on the car but wasn't willing to give up about 60 pounds of unsprung weigth. Merritt

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Merritt;it was all done with mirrors!!!!Kind of like mine!!!!! He didn't start that until I talked him into a Jerico and a McLeod Soft-Lok Clutch!!Yes that is one of Brian's Comets,he has a street version too. ROY.

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

So- - - Now Roy... In order for me to pull wheelies, I gotta put in an extra pedal????? Now wonder you always put the hurt on me at the track, you have been holding out on me, Roy???!!!:D

8. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

MERRIT and Dale. Listen to Roy and your front wheels will leave the ground.

Dale, have you ever drag raced a stick car? If not you don't know what you are missing. A 4 speed in "The Rocket" would be so cool! Right Roy?

MERRITT, my car is not as strong as yours. 11.54 at 116 mph. My car has a tired 351C and a 5:14 gear. I have M/T 28x9 slicks on those heavy Cragars. I like the look so I have to live with the weight. I have ladders bars but if Caltracs would have been availabe 20 years ago I would have used them instead. With Roy's help and some others I am getting the suspension to work right finally. I am taking a few pounds off of the nose with an aluminum radiator and water pump. Brian

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;the biggest weight savings on our Comets is a fiberglass front bumper!!!!On that big ole 351C,aluminum heads would save a huge chunk and give you power!!I get teased about my American TTs,but I like them,so I run them,I doubt a lighter wheel would make much difference.I also don't buy the old tale about automatics being more consistant,I have been as consistant as most automatic powered cars,and a stick is WAY more fun!!! ROY.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;MORE POWER helps a lot too!!! Of course more power costs more money!!!I often think I should have kept the screaming 289 in my Comet,usually 4-5 seasons between rebuilds,we won't talk about how many high strung 347s I used up!!!! ROY.

11. Falconred

Falconred

Stolen from the FE forum: Kurt Neighbors wrecks his '65 Comet NSS A/FX
    "FE,s in NMCA NSS final"<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    "D W Hopkins in his T-Bolt and Kurt Neighbors in his Comet ran in the finals. Curt won the race and Championship but a top end crash ended the Comets race days. Both drivers O.K., well built cars and safety rules, both cars run in 9,s at over 140 mph."
    http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

12. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

My glass bumper weighs 11 lbs.You should gain a tenth for every 100 lbs you shed off the Comet.I am also a 4-speed enthusiast.Love them pedal cars and bangin' gears!

13. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Roy, I am planning on a fiberglass bumper also this winter. I had forgotten how heavy the cast iron water pump was. What a tank. I also had a 4 row crossflow radiator that was quite heavy. I am thinking I have shed 40 lbs. with those two things. The aluminum heads will be on my future stroker motor. I want 10's! Brian

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;a 393C makes a strong package!! I have a friend with a 70 Mach1,show quality car,street legal,runs LOW 10s with a 393C and a C-4!! I blew the clutch on my one and only pass tonight,split the lining off on the flywheel side!! ROY.

15. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

About Kirks Neighbor NMCA AFX Comet SOHC that got Wrecked in the last round. I heard he needs a different ( 65 Comet Cyclone body ). Just go on eBay their is a lot of 65 Comet on there for sale. Unless one of you guys have a free be that you don't need! I Don't. AFX DAVE

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  16. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Was bumming for Roy last night. The break put him on the trailer early.....

17. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Well crap Roy! Didn't that just come back from Mcleod? I don't get it? I hope Mcleod can explain why it lasted only one pass?

A 393 is what I am thinking? I was thinking 408 but a Ford machinist told me he thinks the 408 pulls the pistons down to far in the cylinder and puts to much pressure on the already thin cylinder walls. Sound familiar?

I hope you can figure something out fast for the CHRR. A friend of mine from up here with a 64 Falcon is going down just to watch. I told him to look for all the Comets. Brian

18. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Everyone around here is pulling for Roy. He knows we are just a phone call away. That car is so much a part of the line-up this year.....

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I think a set of front suspension travel limiters would do the trick.Mike got a great shot there,you can see how much the chassis seperated.Move the engine back and the rear forward,another battery,DONE!!! Brian;I have not been able to reach my contact at McLeod,I think the disc material broke free from the rivets,won't know until I get the clutch out,not happy with only six half-assed passes.A 393 seems to be the way to go on a 351C! My Comet will be at CHRR if I have to push it off the trailer and into the "Lineup"!!! ROY.

21. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

22. 65COMET

65COMET

AFX DAVE;not all of us can afford to build a FE that will make the power we want.This thread was started to show case the 64/65 Comets and it has done a good job of that, even though it has show cased a lot of newer built 64/65 Comets,the majority of which, try to continue on the Drag Racing tradition!My 65 Comet was not an original B/FX car but has been a racecar since 1967 and is still raced,Brian's,Ken's,Dale's and many others on here continue to keep the fibe alive!I wouldn't bash these old dump truck engines,they are quick and make some big power fairly easily,besides where did the FEs end up,TRUCKS. ROY.

23. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  24. Merritt

Merritt

The 4 spd thing can be costly, one of the Chev guys in our nostalgia club runs a clutchless 4 spd of some sort, he just fixed it $1500, about 10 runs later he split the case. It was supposed to be good for 1200 HP, he has a 572 chev crate motor. The trans cost $6500 new. Between clutches, 4 spds and down time that's too much for me. But don't take that to mean I can't appreciate a 4 spd can.

Although I've had the converter out 3 times this year and I will take it out again after our last race, I'll stay with the C4.

Looking at the possiblity of a 427 Windsor in the future, I originally wanted an FE until I found out I can build two windsors for the price of an FE.

But we are having fun, arn't we?

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Yes- We are!!!

Just had my late-model 351 Windsor delivered yesterday. It looks like a well-cared for original, with compression from a test written above all cylinders!! Here we go.......

26. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Cool Dale! So what are your plans with the Windsor? What is your best et with The Rocket? Brian

27. classicfins

classicfins

This thing is awesome....

28. 65COMET

65COMET

This thread has had a couple of warnings already about anything newer than 1965! I like the 66/67 Comets/Fairlanes,but I think they may be too new for the HAMB. ROY.

29. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I was wondering how come someone hasn't started a 66/67 Comet/Fairlane Thread. There is a of those cars out there racing show and drivers. That's why I won't put my 66 Comet NSS 427ci FE on this site. I Love the 64/65 cars better!!!! Don't you? Yours truly AFX DAVE:

30. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

I just returned from the "Drag Times Hall of Fame Reunion" in Henderson, NC. What a terrible turn out for the FoMoCo bunch. Not 1 Comet, in fact only 1 Mercury at all (Customized 49/50 Merc). And Ford didn't fair much better (2 64/65 Falcons - Georgia Shaker & a custom street car) (2 64 Fairlanes - a T-Bolt and a 289). All in all a nice show but I would have liked to have seen a couple of nice 64/65 Comets.