Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I think we'll be there as well, Roy. At least you'll have someone in the other lane you can trust.... I'm also supposed to race a red Nova, that I have in my shop right now. Hmmn. Maybe I should hide a few thousand pounds of ballast in the framerails!!!!:eek:

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I think you either need to step up so you can be car poor or leave the Comet as is and just have fun with it!!!! I can not believe I have been down since May!!! Drag Racing IS FUN!!!!! ROY.

3. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

4. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy-
    I'm back in the game! Should be taking delivery of a late model roller Windsor engine next week. Can't let you keep on puttin the smack on me!!

By the way, looks like Roy and I will be pitting with the AF/X group at the Reunion! That means FIVE, yup, FIVE Comets on the main row!!! I hope we get a chance to photog this....

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;we need to talk!!! I have a bitchin crankshaft for that 418,I mean 351W!!!!! I'm going camera shopping next week!!!There may be SIX Comets,3-64s and 3-65s!!!! ROY.

6. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Frog;YES,that is the CHRR we have been mentioning.It is at Famoso Raceway just North of Bakersfield,take the Famoso Road/Hiway 46 offramp from Hiway 99 and head east on Famoso Road.Time Trials and Qualifying starts on Friday morning. ROY.

8. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Well today was the last Race of the season at Bandimere, And we got SNOW. SNOW What the Hell. Good thing I'm heading west for one last race in Bakersville or I'd be moving.

Hope some of the Hambers can drop by the pits and Visit.I'm thinking with 6 Comets we can put a whooping on somebody.

I think Eric got 4 Inches of snow at his house. Good thing he stocked the fridge.

The only thing Snow is good for, is to lock yourself in the garage and work on a new project. I havent said anything over the Summer (long Story) but the Cat or should I say Comet is out of the Bag.Finally after a few years of looking for my own piece of Mercury Real Deal History I finally got to bring something home.

I'm going to have to suffer this winter working on this.

One of the original 1967 Mercury Cyclone Flip Top Funny Cars.

There is only 4 of these original 67 left. Jack Chrisman, Kenz and Leslie 777, Howard Neals Strip Teaser 4, and this one, John Petrie's BP Experimental

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is John Petrie's Car and was one of only 6 Mercury Factory Flip top Comets. This particular car ran in Canada and was sposered by Ford of Canada.This car was the only Mercury flip top to run in Canada.John ran this car in 67 and 68. John Petrie Was the First Canadian drag racer to hit 10 sec, 9 sec, 8 sec, in Canada

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just have to lock the doors to protect it from Fast Eddie

9. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Those 16in. Cragars on the rear Ken?

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Yes I think they are, I'll have to look again. 16 x 13 maybe originals with original Blue Streak Goodyears on them. Too big for this application, This chassis had a 70 mustang body on it and those tires where for that. really lightweight , I was supprised.
    [​IMG]

I am looking for What originally should be on the car 16 x 10 Halibrand Magneseum Sprint big window for the back and 12 spoke 15 x 4 Magneseum for the front.Let me know if anybody knows where i can get a proper set. Heres what they look like.

This is the same car , First paint scheme in early 67.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  11. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I guess I should be proud of myself,I've kept that secret for a long time!! Congratulations!! I know you will do the Comet justice!!!I think you and Eddie need to sneak over to Eric's and bag his cammer!!!That roll cage is SCARY!!!! ROY.

12. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Hi Roy and thanks.

Ken's nephew was driving the car at divisional events a few years ago using parts that according o Ken were last freshened in the mid 90's.

Last time I spoke with Ken he told me that they were finally going to freshen up the motor and trans this year.

13. lt1racing

lt1racing

14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Saw that one this year myself. Damn nice

[​IMG]

15. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Im going to try and make it to the reunion< I need a break from the shop build and get a comet fix....Glad you are all still posting.....JOHN

16. 65COMET

65COMET

John;be sure to stop by,we should be easy to spot!!!! ROY.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Alex;Thanks for the info on the Comet,your family has some FAST Fords!! I tried for many years to get Gary Williams to build me a 289 Super Stock engine,he always talked me out of it!!ROY.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  18. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Awesome Ken...

Just awesome!

Does this mean we can start posting '66&'67 pics? Or is that asking for trouble??:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard

I worked on the car, trying to get the inj straightened out..
    Damn! that's been a looonnng time ago!:eek:

20. Judd

Judd

Alex
    Nice to meet you a couple of weeks ago when I was in LaPorte and see a speed shop full of Ford parts ! I haven't generated any sales for you by breaking parts yet but gave your cards to freinds just starting Ford Builds.

21. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

The pleasure was all mine Judd.

Always great to talk racing Fordspeak with our fellow FoMoCo faithful.

22. Merritt

Merritt

After all the rain in PA I finally got a good outing with the new torque converter, went to Atco, NJ had the best air we've seen all summer. Went 10.87, 121.50. Better than I expected. The converter is still too loose, runs a little more RPMs than I want it too, but it seems to like it. Our nostalgia group has one more race at Cecil County, MD in two weeks. Then I'll pull the converter again to tighten it up a bit.

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Merritt- Those are some good times posted!!! I'll have to go back and read up on your combination if you have it posted somewhere in this thread!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  24. Merritt

Merritt

teddisoke, the combination is a 347, 10.8, AFR 185 hds, Comp .608/.614 hyd roller with the better lifters (good to 6500 RPM), C4 & 4.11, with 29" Hoosiers. The converter is supposed to be a 5000-5200 stall but is going to 5700. It's just too loose, but the motor seems to like the higher RPMs. The motor going to 7000, the valves arn't floating or I wouldn't be seeing 121.5 MPH.

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

You, my Comet brother, are onto a bitchin combination!! Good for you!!

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Merritt;WOW,great times!!! The best my 347 went was a 10.67 at 128 and that was 13.8 compression,672 solid roller,Edelbrock heads,Jerico 4 speed and 5.67 gears with a 29.5X13X15 slick,8500 out the back!!!It sounds like you have more left in it,KOOL!!!! ROY.

27. Merritt

Merritt

Thanks for the support, Merritt

28. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Great score on the Petrie car Ken!

29. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Thanks, I knew where it was at since 04 and have hounded him since. He finally gave in, I cant believe it myself. A little out of my Comfort zone but I'm going to give it a go. Had to stop and sell the T-Bolt project though. Bummed out about that, I really wanted to do that car. Looks like I'm going to have to sell one or two of my Marauders to help with this thing.

Hopefully The Petrie car will turn out as nice as the Gate job Comet.

I do know that the Gate Job 68 Cougar Flip Top is for sale down your way.

30. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

WOW MERRITT. That thing is flying! I have not been over here for awhile so I am still a FNG but that is one fast Comet. Is it still leaf springs and stock front suspension? Also how wide is your rear tire? Thanks, Brian