Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

Stumbled upon your thread and just had to jump in...too many cool cars discussed and shown in one place. This has to be the best place on the web for a car nut like me!

2. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

3. Yes,it is a blast!

4. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

Picture 033.jpg
    It's not a drag car but it's my pride and joy

5. mustangtom69

mustangtom69

Does anyone have pictures of the Four Rivers Linclon Mercury 1964 A/FX Comet.
    Qunicy Mass. I believe. Any information, pictures will be gladly recieved and
    compensated for.
    Thank's. Tom
    [email protected]
    email addy is tom "under score" [email protected]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

A friend of mine in the Indy area named Dave Mcgrane used to crew for Don Nicholson. When Don and Earl would come to town for the Super Chevy shows they would stay at Daves house and even do pre race work on the car at his house. It was really cool to just hang out and watch those guys work. Anyway, Dyno gave Dave a 65 225hp 4 spd Comet as a gift and it had all the documentation with letters from Dyno with it. For some reason years later Dave traded it in at Crossroads Lincoln Mercury on a new car....arrrrgh! Darrell Lewis the general manager at Crossroads ended up with the car then sold it to someone in Ohio I think? All of that to get to this....anyone seen or heard of this car? Been gone around 10 years I think.

7. Barry_R

Barry_R

Hi Ken!

Good to see that the Comet is still running well.

Looks great!

8. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Ken-
    Its great to hear you will be heading out to Famoso! I talked with Dave F. today, and he informed me you are running with the A/FX group, which had me totally stoked!!! There are some great guys in that group, and I'm sure you will fit right in on A/FX row!! Many of these guys teamed up to help me go to the finals in the PSCA Race some month's back, and I could not have won without their help. It'd be cool if we could all pit together, but at Bakersfield, it just does not equate.. So- Roy and I will most likely pit out back, but I hear there will be some serious BBQ's up around your way, and I'm sure we'll get an invite to them!! Sheesh.. I'd say to all of us Comet owners out there, if there was any weekend to see some serious Comets go head to head, this event would be it.. Can't tell I'm giddy with excitement, huh??:D

9. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Dennis

I think those photos are from a fellow HAMBER Bucksnort I think. I got the impression he was there. I think he said they rolled the car back over, That there was minimal damage and finished the Match race. He had some good shots of the Marks Mobile Home Comet running also.

Its interesting that he decided to keep the stock front suspension.

Bucksnort You out there

Anybody else in the North east

10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I also got my newly painted helmet back from Japan.:

[​IMG]

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Dale I was feeling the same way. I cant wait to get out there. I think Scott with the Black 64 Cyclone is going to be there also. Love that car. Talk about a selection of comets to see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Open invite to all the Hambers Drop by the trailer and hang out, Should be a blast.

Also Chalie Morris is debuting his new book at the Show The Ford Drag Team.
    [​IMG]

Some of the stars I have heard might be there. Ed Terry, Hubert Platt, Butch Leal, Gas Ronda , Earl Wade, Tommy Grove, Im trying to get Ron Leslie to go,

If you have never gone and your a Ford Fan this would be a good year to go.

I'm packing my trailer right now I cant wait anymore. West Bound and Down.

Dale that helmet looks awesome. Also My Dad And Fast Eddie may be bring out there Falcons to run in Ex. Sounds like your Pit area may get a little wild also.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Hey Barry Welcome to the thread. Car is running great, Now I just need to work on the driver. You should come out for the reunion and hang out.

Barry Built the beast of an Engine I have in the car. Couldnt be Happier.

Well maybe if I get to the finals at Famosa that would do it.

Barry did you ever find a Comet to buid up yet and race with us. I'm still saving my pennies for that SOHC you have over there.

My 65 needs that Engine.

[​IMG]

13. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Wish I was going to your shootout, I'd have to drive straight there from Cali.

Your right on the video I just need to make it black and white. I think thats how all those guys from the sixties took video. HaHA

14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Good Job Comets Rule

15. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Havent heard of that one, Very Interesting could it be this One?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Back in 1964 all AFX Comets that Mercery Drag Raced were Caliente's!! I never seen a 64 Cyclone running AFX in 64. I don't know if you knew that in 1965 you could NOT run a car that was made in 64 in the AFX class. You had to run A/MP, Gasser or Hot Rod. By the way I never seen a AWB 64 Comet back then, that all started in the 1965 season with Dyno Don's AFX 65 Cyclone. Buy the way the 64's AFX cars did not need roll cages ware the 65 AFX cars did. AFX DAVE

17. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

Here is another picture to look at :)

Attached Files:

18. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Nice picture of the Moyer 1965 A/FX Comet.Is it a Cyclone?

Attached Files:

19. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I don't think so, at least not in 1964. MD North Inc L-M was in Norfolk, VA. According to Drag News it ran at Emporia Dragway VA on April 26 and shows a picture of the car.

The car is also mentioned in DN 12 Oct 64, with "Drano" behind the wheel after throwing a rod in his car and taking over the driving chores.

I've never come across that other dealership name associated with an AFX Comet or probably any race car for that matter.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  20. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I just pulled out my 1965 NHRA Drag Rules handbook: Dave is correct, "FX classes are for 1965 model year stock automobiles only, using manufacturers' optional equipment, ... ". "ROLL BAR: Roll bars are required in all A/FX cars.". I don't think there were any radical WB modifications in 1964. Perhaps, someone playing with it less than an 1/2 inch or so.

Some of the Ford Drag Council T-Bolts had staggered front wheels, but that was for rollout advantage than for shifting weight around.

Regards,
    Dennis

21. skywolf

skywolf

22. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

wow, wish i could get there autographs. i love collecting autographs.

23. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Headed to Henderson, NC for the weekend at the 10th Annual East Coast Drag News Hall of Fame & Car Show. Hope to see lots of Fords & Mercurys from the 60s & maybe meet a few HAMBers.

24. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Alex;welcome on board! What ever happened to the wagon? I have a couple of pictures from Pamona from many years ago. ROY.

26. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

Is there any other way to get a copy of that new Charles Morris book "Ford Drag Team" besides heading to the mainland? Maybe someone could pick up a copy for me and I could PayPal them for it?

27. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

here's a company i pre-ordered mine thru, they accept paypal maybe see if they ship to you, it says they ship outside u.s.

http://www.supercar1.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5760

george

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  28. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

Aloha George,
    Thanks for the info. When Amazon didn't have it, I figured my options were real slim. Almost all local bookstores have closed, such as Borders. I sometimes have to beg companies to ship outside the continental US, but most of the time they eventually do when I remind them we are a state, the US Post Office serves us, and I'll pay shipping costs. LOL, thats the price we pay!

29. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;Thank You for the welding advice,still a pain,but it does seem to work much better!!! I got one side almost finished,then I will clean up my mess on the other side and tack away!!! Trying for Irwindale next week,I still have NO useful data on the Comet,running out of time before the CHRR!!! ROY.