Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I had to post something...This is the only 1964 B/FX Comet Stroppe ever did...and this is how I found it in the owners driveway!

Attached Files:

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;great pictures! It looks like it was fairly complete.Were the wheel well cutouts and axle done while it was in Hawaii? ROY.

3. jamie c lookin 4 a car

jamie c lookin 4 a car

Has anyone seen a chopped top 64'comet running around? If you have pictures or any info please tell me ive been searching for my dads old comet for a long time and cant find it. he sold it over 20 years ago and the person that we sold it to put flames on it.

4. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Yes...the front axle is actually a Chevy axle with Chevy spindles.The owner was running a small block Chevy at the time.This is the Comet the Hampsmires found later and took back to Illinois.When the Hampsmires found the Comet it was painted blue and called Dominator II.The Comet was actually street legal and a daily driver.

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

6. 1965comet

1965comet
    from edmonton

Hey guys I already have the crites hood and fenders but thinking of the doors bumpers and trunks. My car is being used for street/strip just wounding what the wight savings would be with these parts. Also van the doors be used with the stock guts windows,window cranks and such our are they race only application thanks for the help. Josh

7. Merritt

Merritt

Josh that's a great question, I was wondering about that too. Also a company called Glasstek (glasstek.com) has 65 Comet fiberglass parts, they also have "headlight buckets" I haven't called to check out what this is.

Roy let us know how your new motor works.

8. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

When I replaced Ernie's Fairlane steel doors and fenders with Crites units, I was BLOWN AWAY with the weight savings. With Lexan windows, the car shed around 200 lbs if memory serves me. Its a bit of work to fit it all up, and make it look like steel, but well worth the effort, especially when the car runs 9.50's all day long!!!

Take a look at whats involved:
    http://public.fotki.com/teddisnoke/ernies-furious-fairlane/

9. 65COMET

65COMET

I saved $600 and just gutted a set of stock doors and installed fixed Lexan Windows,you can pick them up with one hand!Crites pieces are well built,not the lightest around,the Glastek stuff is lighter weight,not sure about the quality.The headlight buckets are actually the fender extensions that house the headlights.My 65 weighs what it weighed as a pure stock car,of course now it has a full cage,back half chassis,Kirkey seats,fiberglass front fenders,bumper and hood,plus the lightened doors and aluminum interior panels.The new engine feels real strong,a ton of torque,the real test comes Thursday at the track with some T&T!!! ROY.

10. Ford Blue

Ford Blue

Really diggin' those old Comets!!!!

11. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

12. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Dave told me about this the other day. Awesome. Can't wait to get my Comet done and join the fun.

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thats a NICE shot!!!

14. Merritt

Merritt

Roy your right about the stock doors, I did that with a Chevy Monza some years ago, the weight difference was amazing.

15. 1965comet

1965comet
    from edmonton

Thanks guys I think I will order the doors and bumpers soon also does any one know the contact number of the company that does the fiberglass patch 1/4s and has anyone used them thanks again Josh

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Josh;I think they only do 64s,but it is the Comet Ranch,I can't find the phone number,I bought some tail light gaskets from him,will see if I can find the receipt. SOCAL PETE;you are down there close to Todd Hoffman and John [Scrap Iron]Richmond,get on that Comet!!! ROY.

17. 1965comet

1965comet
    from edmonton

Roy thanks I plan to do the body work this winter just gathering parts now :) did you use the stock bumper brackets are the fiberglass ones from criets thanks josh

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Josh;I took a stock steel set at lightened them by drilling BIG holes in them then cutting between the holes.They just have to hold that paper weight front bumper up,the bumper isn't there but for looks anyway!!!!! ROY.

19. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Yep
    I know Todd. Talked with him and Dave at Barona's recent show.
    Comet should be int eh roll cage shop this week. I hope!

20. Is anyone interested in an informal get together of FE powered vehicles at Cecil County Dragway on 10/29/11? They are running a RAM series race that day and always offer a test & tune option as part of the day. The last couple of years I've attended this event and gotten as many passes as I've wanted. The track is always prepped very well for this event and the air is usually killer at Cecil that time of year. I'd almost guarantee you will run your best pass ever there during this event.

I've talked to the promoter of the RAM racing series and we can have our own section of the pits too. We could do a little grudge racing and some serious bench racing too. Very informal, just a chance to get together before the weather turns.

The only cost would be the normal test & tune entry fee. Cecil County is in Maryland near I-95 for those that have never been there. Very easy to get to with lots of drag racing history there.

I'm not looking to make a dime on this. Just trying to get a group of FE powered vehicled together for a good time. You don't have to race to be part of the event. Just show up with a FE powered car or truck and park with the group in the pits. It doesn't matter if you have real AFX Comet or a Edsel. If it's FE powered show up and meet others with the same interests in engines.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

21. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

A big time thanks to Roy. He went out of his way to check out a used Jerico transmission and Mcleod soft-loc clutch for me last year that was sort of in his neck of the woods. I bought it and finally made it to the track Saturday.

I made it to the semi finals in a four speeds only class and it shifts awesome. My last two passes were the same right to the thousandth. I also had a new personal best in my 29 years of ownership at 11.55 with a really tired 351C.

Roy is a wealth of knowledge and enjoys helping us out. I hope his new engine rewards him with some low 10's.

Thanks again, Brian

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;thanks for the kind words,your check is in the mail!!!C-YA in a few weeks,then on to Canada!!!!Congratulations on your day at the races!!! Three Pedal Cars ROCK!!!!! ROY.

23. This was taken at Cecil County Dragway. This shot could be recreated on 10-29-11 at the FE Get Together......:D

The place still looks basically the same.

24. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

I don't remember seeing this Hurst ad posted...

Thought it was pretty cool!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Cool Comet A/FX Story of the day.

Funny you should post that pic. I just got a call yesterday from a gentleman in SC that has the actual Trophy that Ronnie Sox won at the Winternationals. I'm hoping he will let me borrow it for the 50th anniversary shows comming up. He says its still in excellent shape. He had called looking for a good picture of the actual trophy and was hoping I had one. He had seen this Hurst Ad pic and couldnt figure out why that trophy in the ad was different than the one he has.He Called Buddy Martin up and found out that one in the ad was a copy made up to resemble the original and was used as a prop for photos with other winners also for Hurst. Its close but the original is almost 6 feet Tall. Well I was able to help him out as there is an actual photo of the original trophy Ronnie and Buddy won in 64. Thanks to Fran Hernandez's Daughter for Posting some personal photos from there private collection. Again thanks to the family , Hopefully I'll get to see the actual trophy next year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They do look a little Different

Cool Stuff

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  26. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

27. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Incredible shots! The large building in the background is still there. But- does that look like a young Ann Margaret??? I heard a rumor she was a trophy girl before she went on to big screen stardom??

28. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Here's a shot of Roy at speed from earlier this evening:

[​IMG]

29. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;thanks for posting the pictures!! It was a mixed outing with the new combo.The new 418W is strong,was hoping it would be a bit milder as I used my old roller cam and heads,but I was wrong!!Had some clutch linkage issues,easy fix,then on pass #3 just after I hit 2nd gear it shut off like you had turned off the key.Got off the track,checked out the car,hit the key and it fired right up and I drove back to my pit!!We did some basic checks,decided to put it in the box and bring it home. speedyb;I just noticed the wheelie shot was posted by you,Thanks!!ROY.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011