Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

Without question one of the most successful cars of all time.Fact for fact the winningest MATCH RACE car of all time.I am glad it was restored at WHATEVER cost to represent FORD history and to be seen by many.

2. Falconred

Falconred

I think we have had this conversation before, it's not worth hashing out again. Looking forward to seeing you and your dad again down south.

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I actually have a pair of these JC Penny slicks! One is mounted on a Kelsey Hays rim, the other loose. They even say A/fx on the side. Wild stuff!

4. 65COMET

65COMET

I ran the J.C.Penny,9X29.5X15 slicks on my Comet when I was running in Stock Eliminator.If I remember right,the tires were made by M&H. Dale;are you running Fontana this weekend? ROY.

5. Muttley

Muttley

I also have an old set of those mounted to a pair of Ford steel wheels. I bought them (tires only) at the 2010 January Turlock..........the guy said if they didnt sell that weekend he was going to mount them on his Chevelle and smoke them until they blew. I felt like the speed Gods were happy with me for saving them from such a horrible demise. I need to wash and hit them with some tire dressing so I can display them properly in the house. Penneys sold all kinds of aftermarket performance stuff.

[​IMG]

I'd love to find one of these shift knobs:

[​IMG]

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;you always find the coolest stuff!!!! Do you have any pictures of the slicks mounted? ROY.

7. Muttley

Muttley

No, they are just sitting in the garage collecting dust. I'll get them out sometime in the next couple of days to clean them up and shoot some pictures for you.

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I saw a old B/FX Comet at Byron Dragway back in the very late 70's or early 80's. I got the guys number for a friend of mine in Indy who has a real T-Bolt and some other FE cars. They drove over to IL. i think to check the car out and decided it was too rough for them......still kicking their self in the arrrs over that one. Anyway the car said " BEACH BOYS" on the side of it. Anyone remember or know of this car today?

9. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy- yup we are racing! I sent you an email??

Just got off the phone from a two hour interview with Doug Glad, over at CarCraft. Yup- its actually gonna happen!! Stay tuned for the month the feature hits. You know, we are all just trying to keep up with Roy now!!!:D

10. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Hi Terry! You'll have another chance to buy the Spence Ford car at Mecum. I'm guessing it will be a little more pricey this time around, though. I'm sure I'll run into you and Jerry somewhere this Summer. Probably Ford Carlisle.

Mike

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;is it still going to be a"special"issue? I replied to your e-mail,the photo is on page 169,thread # 3362 on here.I like the night photo the best but I would take both for my photo album.Hopefully I'll see you Saturday at Fontucky,depends on how much work I get done on my Comet. ROY.

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Not sure what the issue is. Just glad it'll be happening!

13. Roy, Get your engine done yet?

14. Bowling Green or Bust!!!!!!!!!!!

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Fast Eddie;NO!!!!! All the parts are now at JGM,so it is in their hands.The clutch and flywheel are at McLeod,so that mess is in their hands.I am in final paint prep on the shock towers.I will"ONLY"need to build the engine,install new rear gears,install the engine and the clutch-trans-driveshaft.I still will need to build headers and re-plumb the fuel system and plumb the cooling system,install the hood to see if it clears the intake,ETC.!!!!Oh,and service the F350 and trailer, NO WORRIES!!!! ROY.

16. Roy, what are you going to do with all your free time:D good luck with your build. Cause you know there will be speed bumps along the way.
    Roger

17. Not sure if these were posted yet! :)

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;I'm trying not to get too stressed out,it is not working too well!!! How are you doing on your Comet? You guys doing your race again this year? ROY.

19. Roy:

The Falcon is still at paint and I should get it back the first of the month, I need to get all my junk ready to go also. I did get hooked up with a enclosed trailer, I still need to send in my registration and get some new tires.

20. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Wally Bell
    ex Sox & Martin 1965

Attached Files:

21. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

As far as I can tell,the Spence Ford B/FX Cyclone didn't sell at $160,000.00.And the Dyno Don A/FX Cyclone didn't sell at $425,000.00.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  22. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

I heard the Res on Dynos car was $600,000
    Did not here what it was on the B/FX

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

The reserve on my Comet long after I die will be much lower I'm sure!!

Pushed the Rocket to a 'typical' 12.79 @105 at the PSCA event, during the test and tune. I'm pretty sure those PSCA guys really do not know what to make of my sky high-jacked front end. Goes against everything they know about aerodynamics!;)

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Most PSCA guys know how a car looks upside down and on fire!!!!

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Well, I had a GREAT DAY racing! Hell, any day racing is great! The car ran a best ever of 12.75 @106 (I'll take that- thank you very much!) and- I even managed to tree the ever codgy and very competitve Ernie the Attorney!! Hmmn. Must have been a fluke, as I've never even seen a pro tree before yesterday!! Oh well, take 'em when you can get 'em!!

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/psca-and-fontana-events/psca-5-21-11/img-0156.html

26. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Love that car. How long did you run it and what do you remember is your best win. Anymore pics of it?

[​IMG]

27. Wally bought that one from Sox and Martin I believe. Wonder where it is today ?

28. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

here are pictures from mecum auction

Attached Files:

29. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

more pictures

Attached Files:

30. dscomet

dscomet