Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Tempest Gasser project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kansas Transit, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Kansas Transit

Kansas Transit
    from Glasco,Ks

Well I just got the steering box mounted so I thought I would throw up some pics, next in line is the collapsible steering shaft and I have found a place to make me a mandrel bent draglink to clear the balancer on the motor, just thought I would share.

Attached Files:

2. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

Powered by Pontiac :) looking good!

3. Butch M

Butch M

4. triumph 1

triumph 1

Very Cool! Are you going to use a 421?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  5. Kansas Transit

Kansas Transit
    from Glasco,Ks

Thanks guys, yeah 455+30

Attached Files:

6. That's a great year and body, gonna haul ass.

7. Very cool..........

8. Kansas Transit

Kansas Transit
    from Glasco,Ks

Here's a pic of my other one that is already done,

Attached Files:

9. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

That 's going to be a cool ride!

Your Northwest of Manhatten, we used to go there and drag race on the 1/8 mile drag strip back when I live in Olathe Kansas.

11. My mom and I shared a 63 LeMans GT in 66, my senior year in high school. I had a lot of fun in that car!

12. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Always loved the '63 Tempest...out of what used to be close to a hundred model cars I had as a kid, one of three remaining is a '63 Tempest Gasser with straight front axle and Hilborn(sp) injectors sticking out of the hood. Keep posting updates.

13. 63 Tempest body is beautiful... lookin good!

14. jesse1980

jesse1980

Great car, I'm looking for a 63 tempest to make a super duty clone. Awesome build man.

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

going to be nice...

16. Kansas Transit

Kansas Transit
    from Glasco,Ks

Thanks again all for the kind words, as I'm sure you are all aware these "builds" never seem to go as intended, we were/are hoping like hell to make Norwalk this year for the 63 Pontiac reunion, but man, still have along ways to go!!!

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Neat car! I too have always liked the 63's. :cool:

18. super-six

super-six

What's the details on this car? That is one sharp Tempest.

19. Kansas Transit

Kansas Transit
    from Glasco,Ks

Hello SS, it was a completely rust free car that was totally dismantled and then the whole floor, from the firewall back to the bumper was cut out and it it's place was a trimmed and stretched (4") complete floor pan and frame and running gear from a 1985 GM "G" body car.

So even thou it looks like a perfect 63 Lemans on the outside, it has the GM four link rear, full frame, front disc's, power steering, etc.

Also has a 30 over Pontiac 400 with a turbo 400 tranny, posi rear. It's runs, drives, turns, stops, and rides like a mid 80's GP.

The interior is done with a 65 GTO buckets, console, and rear seat restitch,BUT I can not take much credit for it, all of the hard work was done when I got it.

It had some small issues that I have addressed since then, but I did not build the car. But whoever did, did an amassing job and must be a very anal person, ( I mean that in a good way,lol) I do have all of the construction pics of the car, somewhere.

Thx for asking,

Stan

20. 55yak

55yak

Hey Kansas Transit, I totally love your Tempest. You don't see many of them any more and I think they are very cool. I met a guy by the name of Jim Christenson who lives in Mt. Shasta City, Ca. who used to race the the Super Duty Tempests for Mickey Thompson along with Hayden Proffit and Don Gay. He is an old retired guy like me but has some very desirable racing parts he has kept from the Sixties. You should look him up. He is still a walking talking encyclopedia on the front engine, rear tranny Tempests and has some special super trick billet driveshafts that he says was the only thing that would hold the torque of the S.D. 421's.