Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Sprint Tach- Best way to connect the signal wire?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Fisher400, May 17, 2021.

1. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Hello,

I am nearly finished wiring my 63 Sprint Repo Tach. I need a sanity check on how to wire it. Not generalizations (like the instructions) but input from someone who did it and didn't burn up their tach. Original wiring and not "messed with". Original Sprint car, tach was missing.

So far it is:
    • Installed on the dash.
    • Ground connected.
    • Tach light connected (works and looks great).
    • Red wire added to the 3 port power plug near the ignition switch.
    • The question is where do I connect the white tach signal wire? Is it as simple as running the wire to the NEG post on the coil? Or is it spliced to the resistor wire under the dash? My preference is running to the coil. Clean, easy and probably what Ford did at the factory... I see conflicting info on the web and want to do a sanity check before I just "try it". The instructions that came with the tach are below: THANKS!

upload_2021-5-17_8-1-56.png

Joe Travers likes this.
  2. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes, the coil terminal connected to the points or electronic conversion. Some aftermarket ignitions have a tach signal wire..

Joe Travers and Fisher400 like this.
  3. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Thanks for the reply, Ok so white wire to the negative post on the coil? I am running points by the way. Truly stock lol

pprather and Joe Travers like this.
  4. Truckedup

Truckedup

5. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Well it appears this tach isn’t working right. So I have the black wire grounded under the dash. The grey wire to the aux light port that the radio dial light plugs into. The tach lights up with the light switch on. The red wire is plugged into an empty port where the under dash light or cigar lighter plugs into and is powered from. I have 12v for sure with my tester all the way to the tach. The white wire is connected to the distributor/negative post on the coil. Does not operate when the engine runs. Lights up with the head light but does needle does not operate. Am sorry missing something??

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Did you get this sorted out?

7. Bjk3

Bjk3
    from Charlotte

Did you get the tach working???