Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 Ford Falcon charging system question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borntoloze, Jul 17, 2010.

1. My neighbor just bought a 1963 Ford Falcon (with a 6cyl). It has an alternator and a separate regulator. Problem is the alt is not hooked up (the wires are there). My father inlaw thinks that maybe the '63 would have had a generator not an alternator. Anyone here know which it came with? Going to try and give my neighbor a hand with this thing, it's his dream car (it is a ragtop) but he isn't very handy mechanically. Any hints as to which wire goes where would be great. He did mention there is a wiring book out there for '63 Falcons and it only costs $17 but he hasn't bought it yet (kinda overextended himself with the purchase of the car). The wife won't let him buy anything else for it at the moment. Any help with this would be great appreciated. Another thought just crossed my mind, is there an easy swap to a newer alt that has an internal reg?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I can't tell you everything you need to know about this, but I can tell you the Falcon originally was equipped with a generator. More than a '63 shop manual, your friend needs a '65 or '66 manual as these had alternators and will have appropriate diagrams. You will also need a regulator that is matched to the alternator on the car. Actually, you probably should first determine if the alternator is a) a Ford unit, b) what model and amperage. Somewhere on the housing there should be numbers stamped that can supply the needed data.

Yes, it should be just as easy to install a later model internally regulated unit.

Ray

3. Thanks for the info Ray, that should help us get started. I have no idea what the alt that is in it is from, or whether the reg matches it. I think the direction I/we will head is to get an internally regulated Ford alt (from a wrecking yard) and go from there.

Thanks again