Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 Ford Econoline P/U questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kermit, Feb 3, 2007.

1. kermit

kermit
    from WI

I found a 1963 Ford Econoline P/U in excellent original condition. Stock six auotmatic. Straight body, good glass and interior runs great needs tires(checked).

My questions are :What is one of these big back window trucks worth? And secondly, I have seen them with SBF motors. How do you swap out a motor in one of these? Looks like a fair amount of work.

Did Ford ever offer these with a V8?

Thanks for your time.

Kermit

2. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Not sure of value, depends on condition and location. Big back window? they came in 3 and 5 windows, the 5 window being corner windows. V8 conversion is easy to do. I did a 302 in a 65 and only had to build a saddle crossmember for the trans mount. less difficult if you use exh manifolds. pretty quick with a V8 too!

By the way, the engine goes through the passenger door. I don't think Ford ever offered one with a V8

They are fun, light trucks. REBUILD!!! the entire brake system you won't be sorry

Have a blast!
    Dave

Attached Files:

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

They're not worth a whole lot, and they are deathtraps on the highway.... But they are really cool !

4. Scrap Heap

Scrap Heap

It's a good deal if you can find one with the tailgate still on it.

5. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I agree with scrapy, the tailgates are worth a fortune if you find one. In fact if I had one, I'm not even sure I would run it!

6. I've seen them on evilBay for surprisingly quite a bit. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on the part of the sellers.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Go to vannin.com - they have a list of links for classics, including at least two links on a V8 engine swap. That's not too difficult, but lowering them is a royal pain in the ass. There are tons of parts out there (Dennis Carpenter and Mac, to name a few) Lots of fun, but as stated before, a deathtrap. If you kicked your leg out, you could probably dislodge the headlight bucket.
    There's a link to one guy "shadow" who is rebuilding a '61 van, who has installed a custom roll cage that doubles as air duscts for an aftermarket A/C system. There is no telling what you can do to those old econolines with a little imagination. Have fun!

8. I think Restorit had a coupl of 'em awhile back for about 1,200-1,500 apiece. Something like that. I don't know if that's a common price I think they usually go higher than that.

If I were building one to drive and not as a hauler I would put the V-8 in the bed. Someone is going to say that that is not cool or will ruin the value of the truck but they do handle and hook up better with the engine mid-way. Its an easy swap to make that way also.

I've seen a ton of 'em with the mill in the dog house and they do go in through the pass door. Also a fairly easy swap if you want it in the stock location.

9. guiseart

guiseart

gonna leave mine with the (swapped-in) Maverick 200 for awhile, thinking about a 302/C4 swap in the future... who knows. I'm giving the 200 a few power parts, it might be all I need.

Ugly is good... nobody will steal it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Try "Petersen's Complete Book of Engine Swapping No. 4" copyright 1975. Pages 190-192. Sorry, no scanner at this end, but someone else might have it....

11. wethebmx

wethebmx
    from walnut, ca

econolines are awsome, they are a little bit scary at first and they are just for cruising, since you have almost nothing protecting you in the front, but they are too kool to let that stop you. the stock motor runs pretty good too, but the gearing is a little low, so the freeway is strictly 55-60. i want to get a econoline pretty soon here and use it as an almost daily. they look kool with an ol bike in the back.

o yah, DEFINATELY REBUID THE BRAKES. they skid all over the place

buy it. drive it. dont be scared. haha

12. You will be surprised when you read up on this one. Just about any combo of small block Ford will fit with all Fomoco parts.

13. rev106

rev106

They are worth what someone is willing to pay. I got my 63 5 window, running driving for 1800. I've seen nicer ones for more, and crappy one for less, this was about 5 years ago. I'd say a few (3000-6000) for a really nice one is fair. The vans are more common and a lot less expensive. The Automatic is more rare as most I've seen are 3 on the tree. They did make a v8 w a 289 in the latter years, mid to late 60's up till 67 when they changes body styles. I belive it was called a super duty and had a 9" rear end to boot. In 65 they put chrome strip on them to make them more fancy to help slumping sales (of the truck)

I dropped my motor in about 4 hours and I had to drop it out the bottom off the axel. Had to take the whole doghouse off. If you widen the doghouse you may be able to shoehorn a big motor in there. The dog houses were different from different years, perhaps one for a newer van that had a v8 would give you the room, then the seats become an issue and space is tight. I love my truck, they are fun and have great cargo hauling features. I have a 250 six and a C4 trans, it gets me around ok.

14. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Go for it! You'll really enjoy the Econoline. But like everyone else says, go through the brake system. For the money, go with a disk kit from D&D Brakes (www.dddiscbrakes.com).

I've got a '65 van -- still has the 3-on-the-tree and 240 L6, but works great as a swap meet parts hauler. My son and I have taken several trips. Yeah, not a blue streak on the interstate, but hums along just fine.

15. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

My dad used to badger me about my 69 dodge van and tell me to not go and run into any poles, 'cause I'd lose my legs. My dad had the experience of nearly going through the windsheild of one as a passenger.

16. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

they are not deathtraps, have been driving mine for 35 years. have had so many engines in it I should have zippers on the doghouse.
    I have pulled a 16 foot trailer over 10k miles hauling other rods with it. I now have a 302/c-6/9 inch combo. Works good. Had to lower whole drivetrain 3 inches to get it to handle in mountain corners better. started out at 2200 pounds from factory and mines weighs 3450 now. Yes the brakes are weak, but easy to improve

Attached Files:

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

a v8 swap is not easy in a 63. 61-64 had a different crossmember and a smaller dogbox. Putting a v8 in it will require lengthening (and maybe widening) the dog box and building a crossmember. You will need a different radiator and throttle linkage.

65-67 had a tubular crossmember. Both the 170 and 240 crossmembers will work with different modifications.

61-67 Econos came with 144, 170, or 240 inline 6s. They never came with a v8. The Heavy Duty version was a 240 I6 with a 9" rear end. The 144 and 170 versions came with a very weak 7" rear. You will kill it with a v8.

a 289 or 302 will fit in a 65-67 with relative ease, but a 351 is wider and will require more modifications.

FYI, the Econo transmission is the only transmission Ford made that will work without a lot of modifications. That trans hung from a donut under the van/truck. Other transmissions will require building your own support and linkages.

If you get a 65-67 crossmember, you will be able to bolt in a 170, 200, 250, or 240 I6 or a 289 or 302 v8. The 61-64 crossmember will allow you to bolt in a 144, 170, or 200 I6.

18. I'll be damned, I have that book. Let's see if I can get some pics posted:

D'OH!!! Pictures are too big to get the clarity you need. PM me with your email address and I can send you the pics.

19. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

The Corvair Rampside pick-up was the Deathtrap,:eek: well that's what Ralph Nader said!:D

20. ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat
    from Canada

I opt for a jet ejector seat with parachute and a hole in the roof! ....how would you know, if you haven't had it in a bad frontal crash? I wouldn't like to have a jolsting match with an SUV or truck in one of these.The dodges, chevies, and volks buses were all the same deal...some thin gauge metal and two feet of air space to your precious kneecaps...and oh yeah the paint on the front, I forgot.

21. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's already online!

http://www.wingsisp.com/emboss/swap1.htm

I'm working on an article on how to swap in a bigger 6 or a v8, if anyone wants to see it. It's a work in progress though.

22. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

There is one in my area with a 460 Bud said it was easy. built a crossmember and plugged it in. I can imagine stopping the extra weight!

23. Whew!! That's good 'cuz my in box is about filled up with PMs from the ladies wanting to know... well, what they wanna know is probably of no interest to you guys. :D

:eek: Hell, I can't even say that with a straight face.:rolleyes:

24. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Well, if I was so all-fired worried about it, I'd sell 'em all, never get on a Harley again, and just drive a freakin' Volvo.

25. While we're talking about engine swaps and Econolines, anyone want to throw out some ideas about mounting the motor in the bed?

26. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Seems like the good news would be that you've got plenty of room to work: no steering linkage, fender, or firewall clearance to worry about.

The vans had a 300-pound counterweight mounted in the rear -- don't know of the pickups have this, too. If so, you might consider removing it to keep the truck from being too tail heavy.

Should be one helluva ride! Plus, you won't have all the heat drifting into the cab during those hot Georgia summers.

27. BadMonkeyMW

BadMonkeyMW

Deathtraps? You must not ride motorcycles.

28. Hellfish

Hellfish

hee hee!

29. I don't have to worry about hot Georgia summers anymore, I just got the boot. I'm headed back to the Great White North.

I can't find the link now, but I saw a photo of the Little Red Wagon with a removable rear end and engine cradle. The whole works slid right out the back so they could work on it. I don't know about removeable, but I want to know more about that cradle, or how to engineer a "frame" (in a unibody truck) to support the load. I'm also guessing that the driveshaft would have to be either super-short or non-existent (without getting into an Eldorado motor and transaxle).

30. get on the site: oldeconolines.com i have a 65' econoline pickup and those guys answered any and all questions regarding 61-67 econoline trucks and vans.