Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Falcon Sprint power steering delete

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike51Merc, May 15, 2012.

1. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Guys:
    Please bear with me as I have a lot of Falcon questions. I've got a 63.5 Sprint with Eaton power steering that I want to delete. I have the big steering sector shaft (1 1/8).

I've found that I can't buy a new manual drag link to replace the power link and I don't feel like combing through the scrap yards. I've also read about swapping in '65 parts, but that only pertains to small sector shaft boxes.

I need a parts list for an economical swap, or else I'll be heading for a Mustang II swap instead.

2. 63 1/2 plus a few years, V8 Falcon/Comet/Fairlane/Mustang?,,, stuff should work

3. Dude, you're in luck- I just ditched the power steering on my 1963 mix-master Falcon 2 door sedan.

If you're sure you have an inch and one eighth sector shaft on your steering box and you already have V-8 spindles this is the schnitz.

The conversion will also improve your front end steering linkage geometry by moving the inner tie rod ends inboard of the pittman arm and idler arm, thus elimintating most of that nasty bump steer.

1963 PS to 1965 M/S conversion parts:
    Pittman arm 65 V8 Mustang C5ZZ-3590-A <O:p</O:p
    V8 inner tie rod ends X 2 C5ZZ-3A131-D<O:p</O:p
    V8 outer tie rod ends X 2 C5ZZ-3A130-D<O:p</O:p
    V8 65 Falcon Center link C5DZ-3304-A <O:p</O:p
    V8 Adjuster sleeves X 2 C2AA-3310-B <O:p</O:p
    V8 Idler arm C5ZZ-3352-A <O:p</O:p
    V8 Idler arm mount C3DZ-3351-A

I have 77 Granada spindles so I needed Granada outer tie rod ends; no biggie....
    <O:p</O:p
    You can buy all of the parts except the center link/drag link from Mustang vendors- and it will be cheaper than the rip-off Falcon specialty vendors.

I'm not gonna' spoon feed ya' anymore

Google search "Falcon V-8 steering conversion"

Later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hey, I appreciate the tip, but I just dropped $170.00 on the Borgeson adapter to delete the Bendix valve. I guess I'll live with what I got for a while and upgrade later.

I just started prep for the Shelby drop. Have you done that?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Dude, no. I ain't plannin' on Autocrossing, cuz this ain't no 356C 1600SC.

Find the tweedy old Falcon News Forum and look for a young dude named Craig sumtin'. He did the drop and built a hell of a a car to boot.

Buncha' old farts there, I mean really, really old, 'fraid to sully their pristine rides by drillin' holes in 'em.

I'll just replace all my rusty old control arms and spings some time in the winter.

Seriously dude, buy the parts from Mustang joints. Screw the Falcon places.

Lotsa' good info here:

http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringsysteminfo.html

I thought about the eleminator deal; it wouldn't have changed my F'd up tie rod/drag link geometery.............

The dope's kickin' in now; time to hit the rack.........

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  6. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

7. This thread is back from the dead, huh?

Nope, both inner tie rods are the same, far as I know.

Here's the list again, without the weird stuff that appeared with the forum change over.

Pittman arm 65 V8 Mustang C5ZZ-3590-A
    V8 inner tie rod ends X 2 C5ZZ-3A131-D
    V8 outer tie rod ends X 2 C5ZZ-3A130-D
    V8 65 Falcon Center link C5DZ-3304-A
    V8 Adjuster sleeves X 2 C2AA-3310-B
    V8 Idler arm C5ZZ-3352-A
    V8 Idler arm mount C3DZ-3351-A

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I eventually (this year) took BurntOutOldMechanic's (BOOM) advice and swapped '65 Falcon steering parts. The inner tie rods are the same and both # C5ZZ-3A131-D.