Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 63 Falcon Build Thread - Stockcar for the Street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nash510, Feb 27, 2013.

1. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

I've received a few requests from those monitoring the "Vintage Stockcars for the Street" thread to do a build thread on my 63 Falcon.

Growing up in the sixties I liked the look of the stockers I saw at the local short track - low, radiused wheel openings, super-wide tires all around.

Perusing the H.A.M.B I collected several images that served as inspiration for my project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    AHotRod likes this.
  2. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

I started with this gasser project I bought years ago. It was a perfect find as the straight six and 3 speed had already been removed and the purchase price included a complete front clip from a 62 wagon and some other body parts. As it has turned out, I really only used about 40% of what you see here. There was extensive rust over the rear wheels and a the car had been tagged in the left rear. The floorboards were solid however (in the end that didn't matter).

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  3. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Cutting to the chase, this is what the car looks like as of now. These photos were taken quite a while ago but all work that has been done since then is really under the skin so the appearance really hasn't changed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    desertdroog and AHotRod like this.
  4. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Love it. Post more details!!!

5. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

That is "out of the box" cool!!!!! Love it! More please. What colors will it be? Red/white Woods Brothers comes to mind.
    I had an OT 74 Montego I thought of doing the same thing with.

6. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

I started by cutting out the shock towers and installing a Pro Motorsports Mustang II front suspension with adjustable coilovers. I also installed lowering leaf springs in the back. This gave me a 3 inch drop. After cutting the fender wells and and adding the wheels and tires I wanted, it was clear to me that it needed to be lower. I figured lowering a full six inches would be ideal. Going lower than three inches would not be possible within the constraints of the exising unibody so I decided to build a tube frame. First, out came the floor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

impressive build, I have a 66 chevelle that I have working on, I would like to see more pics of yours, thanks for sharing 66 tintop:):):)

8. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

I started with the front of the frame first. I had to cut out the Mustang II crossmember I had just welded onto the stock chassis. The cross member became the reference point for the rest of the frame. This is the beginning of the frame. Note that this frame was only going to be as straight as my garage floor was flat.

Attached Files:

9. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

I didn't take a lot of pictures as I was building the frame but the following show the rear part. Later, the rear cross member you see here was removed and I went with a different design. Aside from not having enough clearance for the driveshaft, it was just plain clunky.

Attached Files:

10. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Thanks Edsel. I was just talking to my brother last week about what color I should go with and the first thing out his mouth was "Wood Brothers."

11. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

thanks for posting pics, not a lot of stock car builds for street that I have seen, my 66 is too new to post on the hamb, but is much along the same deal as yours, good luck with your dream 66tintop:cool::cool:

12. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

yes I vote for Wood Brothers colours :D

13. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Thanks TinTop

14. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

I'd love to see pictures. As far as not being too new for the H.A.M.B, there is an awesome 69 Chevelle build posted on the Vintage Stockcars for the Street thread you should take a look at.

15. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

nash510 - I have seen that 69 chevelle on the hamb, very cool, I could email pics to you,as I haven't figured out how to post pics on here, I am better at building stuff than computers, pm me your email address and I will send some pics, maybe even share some idea's, I have found out ,once you start out build a tube frame chassis for one of these stock cars for the street, many challanges arise, much-o patience is required tintop:):)

16. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Thanks Alex. Stay tuned.

17. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Nice build man, this falcon is going to look awesome when your done with it. I'm surprised the factory never raced them on the circuit, I reckon they would have done quite well being so light.

The raced them here in Australia but had to make do with 200 inline six and 3 speed manual though!

Anyway, Subscribed :)

18. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Ps, what size wheels and tyres you got there? They look mean as!

Also, any ideas on a engine yet?

19. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

What a great look!

20. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Cool build. I've been thinking I'd like to do a Holman Moody style Fairlane one day.

[​IMG]

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

I really like these kinds of builds. Takes me back to my youth, as you said. Nice job and keep us posted.

PS- there's a video of that Fairlane^^^^^^or a similar one, tearing up a road course, disposing of Porsches etc, on Ytube. Great stuff!

22. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

well gonna add stock car style falcon to my to build dream list now! very rad build and great craftsmanship keep it rockin!

23. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Nash510- these photos remind me, when I was building my car, the roll cage and tin work cause a bit of havoc ! 66 tintop I sent you 1 pic and description

24. cakes

cakes

Holy crap this is awesome

25. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

One thing that was an absolute must was a single side-dump exhaust through the right rear quarter panel. The first picture shows the front part of the exhaust and the second picture shows the exit. I didn't get a picture of the middle part which is unfortunate as that is where all the "fun" was. From the muffler behind the driver's seat I routed the exhaust up over the driveshaft, added a resonator, and snaked the tubing through the right side of the frame. The tubing is three inches in diameter. the side exit in the photo is a short section of 4 inch tubing inside of which, and recessed back a few inches is the the end of the three inch exhaust tube.

Attached Files:

26. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Nash510- all of this just brings back nightmare of build exhaust , I used a NASCAR 1" x11" x 36" boom tube flush with bottom of rocker panel, I don't want to do it again, I feel for you, it is not that easy , packing it all in there ! Keep goin it will get done

27. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Your 66 is incredible!

Funny you should mention the tin work. I think your description of havoc is appropriate. I had to work within the contraints of the frame I made and my crappy little sheet metal brake which can't seem to handle anything longer than about 24 inches. Therefore I was forced to make my floor little piece by little piece. Each section fits within the frame so that the top of the frame becomes part of the floor itself. One thing I learned was that triangles are your friends.

The first picture shows the seat frames. The rest of the photos are of various sections of the floor.

Attached Files:

28. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Nash510- I think when you build a car with many fabricated changes, you are also building your self character , home builds always have so many quirks to them such as lack of equipment and some know how, always a sacrafise with limited stuff, more money works, but then what fun would that be. LOL

29. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Exactly!

30. 65COMET

65COMET

nash510;very nice,great work! Build pictures are a great way to tell your story!!! ROY.