Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 comet tail light help please!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Julio, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

Hey guys, So i was leaving work a week or so ago when my headlights wouldn't come on. So i started looking at the wiring for the switch, everything was fine then they magically turned on after numerous tries. this happened a couple times then a few nights ago the same thing happened, jiggled it around (for some reason that helped?) and was fine, but then my tail lights would not come one, and still dont come on, the brake lights dont work either, but the turn signals do!! so I guess my question is any suggestions on what it may be? I looked all around and everything seems up to par (under gauge cluster wiring), but I did read that the turn signals are connected to the tail lights possibly? so the second part of the question can the TRIDON 552 that regulates my turn signal be malfunctioning and only be working for the turn signal? I would go and get another to just check it out but money is incredibly tight until pay day. I am terrible at wiring so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys in advance!
    -Julio

2. Willy301

Willy301

If your 63 comet is anything like my 63 falcon, it sounds like your wiring is getting old, or you have some loose connections, either where the wiring connects to the switch, or inside the switch itself. You might start by taking the switch out of the dash and clean it up real good, the fuses are all right there on the switch, and may need a good cleaning and inspection. I actually put a complete wiring harness in mine, it fixed all the stray lighting issues in mine. The wiring that came out of my 63 was kind of small as I recall, and the new harness had some slightly larger wiring...or at least sheathing on the wires was thicker. At any rate, I got rid of the scattered fuses and now it is all in a fuse block where I can find them! Good luck on finding the culprit.

3. LOPESphotographics

LOPESphotographics

Where did you find your harness?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. corvair63

corvair63
    from denver

I had the same problem with my falcon make sure all your grounds are good before you replace the wiring harness sand down where ever you have a ground at and hopefully it fixes it

Good luck

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Willy301

Willy301

I got mine directly from EZ, but Summit, Jegs and almost any mail order have Painless harnesses for sale as well...