Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 63 Comet C4 Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RednekYoga, Jun 23, 2020.

1. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Hey HAMB,
    Project is coming along. Rebuilding up a 66 289 for my 63 Comet. Need to ditch the old Merc-o-matic 2-speed. Picked up a C4, but the tranny mounting is way different. Current crossmember is about 3 inches further back than the mounting bolts for the C4, not to mention the C4 mounting pattern is totally different. Anyone out there got any ideas about fitting out the Comet for a C4?
    Thanks as always,
    RNY

loudbang likes this.
  2. Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    RednekYoga and loudbang like this.
  3. Yep, one of those. Do shop, I've seen them cheaper and more expensive. Unless you have a '64-65 Falcon/Comet C4 tailshaft housing that has the weird mount....

loudbang likes this.
  4. And yes..look around.. I payed way less than that..I wanna say 80 bucks or so..on EBay..

loudbang likes this.

5. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

FalconParts.com …. $79.95

LynnW

loudbang likes this.
  6. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

7. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Also, I realize that the since the C4 is about 2.5 inches shorter than the merc-o-matic, my drive shaft will end up being too short. Is there a longer yoke out there?

8. Nope, not that much longer. You'll need a longer driveshaft.

9. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Actually I measured the overall tranny length and the C4 is only about an inch shorter. I should be able to use the same drive shaft I think.

10. Be careful with that... The rule of thumb is you push the yoke all the way into the trans then pull it out about 1" to 1.5". Go beyond that and there's a very real risk of not having enough spline engagement as well as allowing excess radial play. I don't know what the minimum spline engagement should be, but I wouldn't go under 50% and I'd make very sure that the yoke isn't worn and the tailshaft bushing is good also. Even a small amount of radial play can quickly take the bushing out, then the output shaft.

In the '60s and newer there wasn't that many U-joint sizes used, Ford and GM used some of the same sizes on various models, you may be able to find a correct-length driveshaft at a boneyard.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve seen extra long yokes listed somewhere, they are about 2” longer than stock. Can’t remember right now where I saw them....

12. You have to be careful with those, on most I've seen that are longer the extra length is 'blank' inside, no additional spline length.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You could be right, I've never seen one in person, only in a catalog or a web site.