Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Buick Wildcat Rear End Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KQQLCAT, Apr 5, 2011.

1. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

I have a rear end out of my 63 Wildcat that I can't get apart. Here's what happened. I did a burnout and had 125' of fun till the car lurched forward and all of a sudden I had a posi. Well the shaft on the spider gears spun and now I can't drive out the roll pin that holds the shaft. I have been able to line it up but it will not come out. Need advice before it goes to the scrap yard.

Thanks

2. Willy301

Willy301

The problem is likely due to the pin "smearing" when it broke causing it to enlarge the hole some. Perserverance and patients are your 2 best friends here, but if you can torch the center pin out enough to remove the axles and get the thing on the bench, you might be able to salvage the center section. Or, there are one or 2 guys around here who could likely just torch the roll pin out enough to remove the center pin. Good luck on it.

3. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

I have it on the bench now. I don't have a torch.

4. I would not use a torch....never had to....You tried to align the pin..no go/
    Now turn the carrier so the shaft and pin are up....wack it with a drift pin and a BFH.
    Most of the time the pin shears and it can be removed with a very small chisel.
    I saved a lot of rear ends(mostly Buicks) this way when the pin broke....Buffalo in winter time....(Lockport)

5. George G

George G

PM me if you need a posi