Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 63 Belair 2 door conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1963hoopty, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and jeffd1988 like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

A hardtop would add a ton of complexity to the project. And for the record, I like the hopped up 6 cylinder. I just don't see that combination of pieces as being a "gasser".

cactus1 likes this.
  3. Let's not lose sight of the fact that our friend , after a relatively complex 2 dr. changeover, wants to hack the wheel openings out, and make the tires stick out, like in the 70's.
    I just wanted to remind those who are encouraging him here.
    I think the 70's cars he remembers were probably ET bracket cars, of which there might have been about five in the world of any historical significance .

flynbrian48 likes this.
  4. Well if you allready have the tires...

benchseat4speed and flynbrian48 like this.
  5. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Charlie Chops 1940 is right about there not being any Gassers out of 59-'64 Chevys back in the day. But the Super Stocks were jacked up for traction too and took on that classic gasser attitude. Interesting project doing the conversion of a 4 door into 2 door

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

The best looking bubble top clone I've seen was a 62 with a 59 Impala roof. The roof line winds up looking lower then the clones with 61 roofs. I sure wouldn't mind having either one.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  7. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

[​IMG]

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and Latigo like this.
  8. I'd just find a 2 door. Converting to a 2 door would make more since if the cars were near extinction. Way too much work when you could just buy the 2 door and save yourself ALOT of work and time and have the car you want quicker. It'll also save you the "what have I got myself into" abandoned project.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

benchseat4speed and slowmotion like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I'd leave that one alone and go find a neglected two door to build my gasser/fx car out of. You don't need or even want a runner you just need a reasonably solid body and decent frame and a title or good paperwork that you can get a title with.
    That would leave you the family heirloom to drive or cruise and a hot rod project that doesn't kill off the family heirloom if or when the work gets to be too much. You also have the 4 door to cruise in and not be sitting there saying "awh shit what the hell did I do" when things just don't go together as planed .
    I full and well understand the want to with the car you have but my personal experience and being 70 with 46 years of hot rod experience behind me says building a new car rather than cutting up the old car is a lot wiser idea.

benchseat4speed likes this.
  10. samurai mike

samurai mike

drugs are bad mmmm k

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

None of this belongs on a traditional hotrod forum

koolkemp and benchseat4speed like this.
  12. toddzies

toddzies

Low Budget hit it right on the head, not only do the look classy but easier for the entire family to ride with ya'. After all, our goal should be getting everyone out having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. sololobo

sololobo

I think this may fall into the "not worth the effort" category, nothing wrong with a more door. Get a tu-door if you can't live with the nice 4 door that you already have looking awesome. Just my two cents!!

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

I say your plan throws the sentimental/family heirloom value out the window. Just get a two door.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  15. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I f----g hate the word 'gasser' and this is why. Not trying to s--t on your dreams dude, I love 63 chevys, I love gas class cars from the 60's, but those two don't intersect, ever. X-frame chevys are stock/super stock cars, customs, lowriders, and they're cool when they're original. Your car looks sweet as is man, just leave it alone. Especially if you're leaving a six banger in it.

As far as the two door conversion thing, I've done it, it sucks, don't do it. If you need 'garage time' there are 63 2-doors out there that need tlc, just save your pennies and buy one.

koolkemp likes this.
  16. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Do not do this. Few things look worse.

flatheadpete likes this.
  17. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Hack it up. Our 'Sitting and Rotting' thread can always use more material.

Seriously. Got the skills and tools? Do it. And finish the job right and completely
    ...or just restore and fix up it as the 4 door that it is, 'cause as a long held and valued family heirloom, you will refuse to part with it.
    So if you don't get your rear in gear fix to it up one way or the other,
    Or if you hack it up to make it a '2 door' and then don't finish it, its just going to end up sitting around and rotting into the ground anyway.
    Like a million others have.
    If you're serious, stop diddling around cobbling in stainless steel scrap.
    Properly formed repair panels for your Chevy aren't that hard to obtain.

A '63 Chevy 4 door is by no stretch of imagination a 'Traditional Hot Rod".

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  18. Well, It does need the left rear door painted , so might as well make into a 2 dr while he's at it.

19. Clik

Clik

Embrace the doors. You have a nice economical family cruiser and trying to make a two door gasser out of it is a mistake. Wrong car for that.

20. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I disagree, chopping up cars to suit your own needs and tastes is part of hot rodding.

Squablow, flatheadpete and clunker like this.
  21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  22. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I don't see the reason to take out your frustrations on a nice car. Lol in all seriousness I'd go with a different car for a gasser older cars always "look better". But then again I feel sorry for every car that has ever been turned into a gasser as I despise the look. The lower the better in my book.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Gasser look cars definitely have place in traditional hot rodding. However, in all reality, I think they've jumped the shark already. Take a look at the F/B GASSERS page, if you don't believe me.

benchseat4speed and scotty t like this.
  24. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Couldn't agree more. 30 years from now when some kid wants to make a gasser out of his honda civic and do a 2-door conversion he'll post it here.

25. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Cut up a decent 62 post to 'help' make a 63 4-door a 2-door?? I fail miserably to see the logic. Complete waste of two cars. Not one piece of sheetmetal interchanges 62 to 63.

26. samurai mike

samurai mike

talk to the salmon. it's easy to swim down steam, hard to swim up stream. if you want to swim up stream streach it and add two more doors, limo style!

27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

1963hoopty I am sorry you posted your question on this forum. Not because I think you have a bad idea. I am an avid hot rod and custom guy. Been building cars for myself and customers for over 40 years , over 200 cars! your project is an easy one. follow Squablow's examples and google converting 4 door cars to 2 doors and look at all the post on other forums and video's . this is evidently a restoration forum here led by a bunch of "experts" who would not know how to customize a car if their life depended on it. And next time state that you want to fashion the looks of your car as a 60's drag car, since most people on here do not understand that the term Gasser is a early 60's slang term referring to the Gas coupe/sedan and roadster street class's formed by NHRA in the late 50's ! And yes 63 chevys competed in those classes with souped up 6 cylinders at that. Larry

28. Larry, I, for one appreciate your experience and enthusiasm. But I don't see the point of bad mouthing a bunch of HAMBers here , many of whom have already figured out that this ain't gonna happen.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/any-chop-top-62-64-chevys.972634/

29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_1271.JPG Is this what you are looking 4 it has a 250 .PM me if interested I have two many projects