Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63-'67 ford/mercury 427 "r" cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

'65 r.jpg '65re.jpg Here is the burgundy "R" '65 Galaxie I mentioned in a past post.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Frank,
    Thanks for the update.
    If that is the same car I saw in MA it had a lot of work done early 90's.

3. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here's a old photo scanned from Eastern Drag News of the Reading Ford's 1963 427 boxtop taken at York US 30 in June 1963.

[​IMG]

droppedstepside likes this.
  4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

The Glidden car mentioned earlier in this thread was once owned by my brother Steve Dillman. He got it after Bob sold it to a guy in Madison In. It changed hands at least two more times localy then went up north to MI or Can? We were told that this car was a Holman/Moody prepped car. Did it really bring over 100,000? How do you know this? is there any links for info on this car? Thanks, I know my brother would like to know about it. Tom

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Frank, I'm on a roll lately. First the H/M trip last week and yesterday I visited with John Ulrey of the Ulrey Bros in Semour In. Got to look at some old FE stuff and hear stories of AA/S Hi/risers, 427 Fairlanes and AF/X Comets. In our neck of the woods they were the Ford gurus. I'm glad that you and other Ford guys share your knowledge and history with all of us that didn't have the chance to live it the FIRST time around. Tom

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

butch leal.jpg Thanks Tom.

Here is a very rare photo I have not seen before. It is Butch Leal driving Mickey Thompson's '63 "R" Galaxie Lightweight.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  7. Deuces

Deuces

There should be an all FORD car show and swap meet coming up at the Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan... Anyone here know the date for that show???... Thanks! :)

8. Deuces

Deuces

Nevermind I found it! Sunday August 7th 2011.. All Ford car show and swap meet at the Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan... I think parking is like 2 bucks.. Don't quot me on it though..

9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Tom, here's a picture of the Ulrey's AA/S Hi-riser Galaxie from back in the day.

[​IMG]

10. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here is a pair of lightweight Galaxies running at the 1963 NHRA Winternationals. Tasca Ford vs Les Ritchey driving the Bob Ford entry.

[​IMG]

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Kentukian, Nice pick...I learned from John Ulrey that my brother Steve drove that car at Indy in 65. I asked my brother about it {he's 13 yrs older than me} and he said yea' it qualified for top/stock but broke a oil pump p/u and didn't get to run in eliminations. Sheesh, you think he might have relayed that story to me! Tom.

12. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Tom, Didn't the Ulreys race a '65 Custom Sedan...maybe around the same time your brother had the Glidden '65?
    Lars

13. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

No pics...but a "story"...

Local (neighborhood) guy, Tom Stephenson, ordered an R-code '67 Fairlane tudor, Turquoise/fawn, which came off the transport with a knock. No problem, as it's next stop was to have the engine yanked and prepped for Super/Stock. Full blueprint, CraneCam, headers, Detroit Locker 4.71, M&Hs etc. Flat-towed around Southern Ontario/Western Quebec. Tom had it painted 'n lettered with a BIG snake curling up from the rear quarters to the roof...and named it the VIPER!

He got married the next year, and sold the car (as-is but repainted, Racemasters, 4.71s 'n all) to a used car lot. The salesman there, Ed Payne, took me for a drive...yowsa!! Until the '90s, THE most brutal "sedan" I ever drove in, on the street! Capable of running 11's @ 120 mph, then. Tom's total race-ready investment (in Canada) would have been about $5Gs, then.

Sold from the lot (asking $2,495!) to a fellow who will remain nameless, who (so the story goes...) road-raced a guy in a 383 Charger from a bar 20 miles away, home. Made it about 1/2 way...scattered the '27! Replaced with a 390...lost interest...sold to a "G.I. Joe from Oswego NY [Fort Drum?]", goes the story...

Whereabouts, 31 years later, unknown. But I have a photocopy of the original bill of sale with the serial number...MSRP $3,750...

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I think that was a car they prepped that was named "RESPECT". Saw it at Edgewater alot.

15. Here ya' go...:D

Attached Files:

• 79-1.jpg
      79-1.jpg
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
  16. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Could it have been born as a 'factory' 427 car?? What do you suppose happened to it?

17. i know that pic was taken at edgewater and ive seen a few other vintage edgewater pics on here do you know where they are coming from? another site? or????

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

If you are lucky enough to have one of trhese fine automaobiles you have a gold mine. The engineering work was superb for the era. Ford was really making great strides in all form's of auto racing. They competed in the Drags, Oval, Road Races and NASCAR track racing and had a lot of winners. A nice 390, 406 or 427 in todays market attracts a lot of interest and if for sale a lot of people interestd in buying. BUT... bring money and a lot of it.
    Nice cars but rare.
    Normbc9

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

jake king.gif This is the late great Jake King's "Little Henry" T-Bolt. This would be the last car Jake drove before joining Sox & Martin.

The T-Bird is also powered by a Ford 427.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Deuces and droppedstepside like this.
  20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice rigs.....
    Cheers.........

21. Hey Frank: Any chance that the pic of Jakes 427 T-Bird was made at Concord Dragstrip...???
    That hill in the background just stirred up a few braincells...

Stan

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

Yes Stan, I believe it is Concord Drag Strip. That is where I watched Jake race the most in his driving career. He raced a '62 Galaxie Lightweight, a '63 Galaxie Lightweight and the T-Bolt. I bet you were there too.

23. Many ,many Saturday nights were spent out on Roberta Rd....
    Watched Jake, Ronny & Buddy, Dyno Don,Phil Bonner,"Iceman" ...all the greats ran there at one time or another...saw Tommy Ivo( with Don Prudhomme crewing ) pull in with a '58 Caddy towing a Buick FED ....Them were the days !!!
    Stan

24. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I found this pic of a '63 427 boxtop raced out of Hull-Dobbs Ford of Memphis on a Lakeland Dragstrip website. Picture was taken in 1963 when the car was new. Those were great days for sure!!!

[​IMG]

25. My favorite "R" Code is this red on red '63 1/2 Lightweight!:)

1963 Ford Galaxie 2-Door 427/425 HP, 4-Speed

- 1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie
    - R-code 427/425 HP engine
    - 4-speed transmission
    - Assembled at Schott-Hamco Ford
    - Ford factory fiberglass inner and outer fenders, hood and trunk
    - Aluminum Bumper and bumper brackets
    - Raced at Beechmont and Edgewater dragstrips in Cincinnati, Ohio
    - Took 25 years to restore with NOS parts
    - Completed restoration in 2008
    - 31 miles since restoration
    - 1st place Carl Casper Louisville, KY 2008 and 2009
    - Top 25 GoodGuys, Bowling Green, KY
    - 1st place Beatersville, Louisville, KY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

According to the results on the Mecum auction website, the bidding at the recent Indy auction on the red '63 427 fastback pictured in the previous post went to $70,000...and it did not sell!!!

27. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Sign of the times........ the bottom has fallen out of the market that would have had this car closer to $200K.
    Tom S.

28. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Would that be a factory Light Weight? There is a difference in value between a Norfolk built, documented light weight and one that was assembled by a dealer. Barrett Jackson Scottsdale had a dealer built car that the TV commentators mistakenly called a factory Light Weight. Very confusing to viewers who thought the car was a bargain.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  29. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

30. 76cam

76cam

That video was awsome... Thanks for posting that.