Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 63 1/2 Galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Sep 11, 2018.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have this buddy that is a big time Ford guy. He happens to own a gravel pitt operation and has more money than he could spend in probably 10 lifetimes. He has a stable of really nice Fords, most are so nice he hardly drives them for fear of a rock chip or scratch. Last winter we were drinking beer and shooting the bull when he ask me if I ever drove a 427 63 1/2 Galaxie. I told him yea, back in the day I had drove a couple of them and they ran pretty good for a Ford. Two weeks later he called and told me to stop up sometime , he had bought a Galaxie XL. The one he bought was a maroon with white vinyl top matching numbers 390 four speed with the drive train removed but came with it. Pretty decent looking car. He said he was going to build an aluminum block 427 side oiler for it with a HD top loader and Detroit locker. Long story short, that's exactly what he done. The local Ford guru put the engine together and it dynos at 485 HP at 5200 rpm. We put it through the paces today and it does pretty good. He did scare me a little when he was beating on that fresh engine and the dual fours sure do suck the gas, we went about 60 miles on 3/4 of a tank. I tried to talk him into disc brakes on the front when he was building it but he said you guys didn't have disc back when these cars were new , I won't need them. I think he may have changed his mind about that after today. With all his money he never forgets when its my turn to buy lunch and he drinks the cheapest beer he can find. When it comes to his cars money flows like water, go figure!

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Some pictures for us Ford fans if you get a chance. I love Big Fords with round taillights.

3. Me too. Never too busy to look at a picture of a 63. :cool:

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Photos... and a video of the car driving would be awesome!

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Still waiting.......:confused:o_O:rolleyes:

7. And maybe sound also:D.

Malcolm likes this.
  8. 485 at only 5200? The 427 was known for it's ability to turn high RPM (the NASCAR boys ran them at 7K for 500 miles!), this must be a pretty mild build or a low RPM stroker. Still, it seems he may be leaving a fair amount of power on the table...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

I got to see the ultimate Ford collection up in your neck of the woods a few years ago, damn impressive no matter your favorite mark.:eek:
    OK now pics of the 63...:D

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Tell us about that collection. Is it open to the public?

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Private last I knew of. Possibly viewable by appointment, not sure. He's a Ford guy, with a trove of 'left-nut' blue oval cars, along with some very highly desirable examples of other makes.
    http://www.snyderspecialtycars.com/

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Kool, we travel a lot always trying to find great, out of the way places, especially car related. Thanks

Bones

13. earlymopar

earlymopar

A car my oldest brother had in the mid 60's was a black on black 63 Galaxy hardtop with 406 and 4 speed. What a hard-pulling car that was and with a sound that made you weep!

- EM

14. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I had a 63 1/2 but it was only a 352 with an automatic... but the styling was great. Can't wait to see the pictures.

15. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I doubt if it was the same collection. This guy is pretty private. He only has about 9 Fords.:rolleyes:

slowmotion likes this.
  16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

He built it to be a driver with lower compression to run on pump gas. Believe me, the way he drives he doesn't need any more power than it's got. This is the first car he has ever owned with a 4 speed and he shifts it like a dump truck:eek: He is finishing up on his 427 powered Cobra kit car, I will not be riding in it!!

17. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Just for shits and giggles
    I owned this car for 10 years sold it in 2000,
    there you go an image of a 63 1/2 500XL 390 cruisomatic

Gal 2.jpg

slowmotion and BuckeyeBuicks like this.
  18. slowmotion

slowmotion

I didn't figure it was, just sayin'....
    FWIW, when I was a kid the neighbor lady, my mom's best friend, had a new 63 1/2 fastback. Dark blue, black bucket interior, console, 289, factory wire wheel covers. She was a looker...:D

19. 2935ford

2935ford

Back in the day when I lived in SoCal and we did the cruise to the A&W on Hawthorne Blvd, there was a fellow who had a 63 1/2 427. Man that thing was a thumper.

20. ahshoe

ahshoe

Watching Mecum last week and saw a '63.5 Galaxie XL convertible go for only 9K. It looked very nice. Love that year but I'm into '61 Starliners now. Love them even more!

sunbeam likes this.
  21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The car or the neighbor lady, or both? The cars and the ladies had a lot more class back then. I thought I was the only little kid back in the day that had an eye for the older chicks, I used to go to PTA meetings at school just to check out the mommies:eek:. Now that I have matured (read that as getting older) I have to go to my grandkids ball games to check out the young mommies:D

slowmotion likes this.
  22. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

23. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Here you go all you big Ford lovers. The pictures are in:D He brought it down today to get the A/C charged. This guy is like a 16 year old that just got his license! He says he can't wait to get up in the mornings so he can drive it to breakfast. The Galaxie has made it to the top of his list as a driver. He beats on it like it crazy and can't take off with out jumping on it like it was at the drag strip. He says it is so great not to have to worry about rock chips and getting it dirty. I am glad he is enjoying it, hope he don't wrap it around a tree!

s55mercury66 likes this.
  24. Nice car; thanks for the pics. For his sake, as well as the car's, I hope he doesn't wrap it around anything.

Ask anyone that knows me, he can't love driving it anymore than I do mine. Sometimes when I'm in mine, I'm 18 and invincible again. :)

25. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Yea, he is 63 going on 16:rolleyes:

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Thanks for the pics, Buckeye Buick. Would you know if Brent Auker still doing bodywork there in Logan?

27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

He and his brother are both retired. There has not been a finished job come out of that shop in years but there is still plenty of junk sitting around up there.

28. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The stock 250 Hp 352 could shred those skinny Mickey T's. They really don't stand a chance with the 427. Very Cool car, glad the owner enjoys it.

29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Great car!!! Even though it's not a Mopar, I would love to drive it. I am glad that he is loving it. That is why we all love our cars. Whether it's a GM, Ford, Mopar, or one of those "other" makes, It's a feeling that you get, that can't be experienced any other way.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Center of the Galaxie likes this.