Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Mercury: fuel tank sender wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rladams65, Oct 2, 2021.

1. rladams65

rladams65

I am trying to get the fuel guage sender wire off the sender unit at the tank - and it does not want to let go. Where is it supposed to be connected?

In the first picture I assumed it was 'connectorized' where the black wire from the tank and the yellow wire from the guage come together (similar to how the wires on the brake master cylinder or solenoid are plugged onto a post), but this does not seem to want to pull apart.

In the second picture I thought maybe there was a spade connection at the tank (similar to how the oil pressure sender was connected). But that does not want to let go either.​

Or am I misreading the manual {Disconnect the fuel guage wire from the sender unit}? Does that mean 'cut it"? Do I need to peal off that heat shrink and the connector is under that fat part in pic 1?

I just want to know before I:
    • cut the wire and put a butt-splice in there
    • try and find a replacement sender
    • do without a gas guage
    upload_2021-10-2_10-29-56.png

upload_2021-10-2_10-33-33.png

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

It's a simple bullet connector that looks to be rusted so bad that it has grown together. Cut it out and replace it or splice it.

rladams65 likes this.
  3. Your first picture does look like it might be some kind of a connector. The fuel sender wire for that vintage of Ford was often yellow but usually connected right to the sending unit. If it's been there awhile maybe it will need some extra force to come apart. If it wont come apart, cut the wire on both ends of the "connector looking thing" and make a repair there when you put it back together.

Running without a gauge doesn't fly in my world. :eek:

rladams65 likes this.
  4. rladams65

rladams65

Center of the Galaxie likes this.