Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Falcon Wagon questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bandreese, Nov 13, 2015.

1. bandreese

bandreese

Hey everyone I have a 62 Falcon wagon sitting in my garage that is bone stock with the exception of a better radiator and new tires. Runs great, no real issues mechanicaly. It has rust of course on the roof around the rain gutters but the rest is good. It's been in my garage now for 3 years and my girlfriend wants to fix it up now. My question is this. I am a GM guy and have never touched a Ford wagon.c So I need some help here. should I find a donor car and cut the roof off or just patch and fill this one? Should I just sell it? If I see it and find another wagon for her what are these worth? Thanks for any feedback.

Attached Files:

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  2. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Is that rusted thru? Hard to tell, is the gutter that way all the way around the car? Sand blasting those areas are tough, but can be done. Then as I'm sure you know the inside will have to be addressed also. You would have to be prepared to replace metal, or like you said another roof. How easy are those to find? Nice wagon by the way, it looks worth fixing to me! Then again finding a better one is not out of the question, and spendy.
    http://www.luckyoldcar.com/automobi...r=1&wppa-cover=0&wppa-album=72&wppa-photo=456

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  3. rjones35

rjones35

definitly a keeper!! thats cool!

4. That's a pretty nice looking wagon.I would repair it .Heres mine{after unloading it off the trailer} after I sold it 12 years ago and found it sitting in a garage for the last 10 years. You know I had to have it back and enjoy it. ALL STATION WAGONS GET LOOKS!!!! Bruce. 001 (12).JPG

5. abe lugo

abe lugo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not an easy feat to cut up and patch up a roof correctly, I cut up a '64 Fairlane parts wagon, that roof was a few layers of metal in some places, almost bulletproof, maybe patch the areas you can, when you open up those areas, sand blast and primer inside before working the outside.

I believe these was a thread on this exact issue a few years ago, it was thorough on how much work it was.

Also note you will be removing the headliner, windshield and anything else that is up there in the way of the work. It burns with welding.

The stainless trin around the rain gutter is easiely removed with a small rubber mallet and paint stick as a pusher. work your way around.

You know in this case I would recommend, taking the trim off, grinding down all the areas and maybe sand blasting. Then checking what all needs patch panels. If you have full rust through you have to go in and clean it.

In this case I would consider something along the lines of leading it. then sealing the rain gutter properly and call it done.
    Although the perfectionist on this board and the welders will tell you otherwise. Im sure you ahve other projects you should be putting more effort into.

Its a nice wagon, clean up as much as you can seal those areas and paint, and use the wagon.

It will end up being much more work than its worth to have all that completely patched up.

you want to have cleaned sealed up so no more water gets in and let your girl enjoy the wagon.

If you are actually wanting to make this a project and change the roof, it up to you, if you actually want to chop it as well, once again up to you.

That said don't expect more than 10K for a finished project wagon, if that. It s a nice wagon.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Doesnt seem like that long ago a old car like that could be bought for a few hundred dollars (1980s) maybe 1200ish in the 90s now everything is in the sevral 1000 dollar range, running or not, at least thats what the asking price is.
    Lotsa high end cars on ebay and what few project drivers etc. are on there are also out of range for my taste.
    craigslist has also grown kinda bland with overpriced (making it uninteresting) junk in the last year or so..............
    I still want another 55 or something else cool but.............???
    I think I may just be getting too old and out of touch to keep up.

Sorry for the side tracked rant ( I like the little falcon wag)but anyone else ever notice how cool a car is, until you hear the price (if it has one) then you are kinda turned off, on the car..............maybe its just me:(..........:)

Johnboy34 likes this.
  7. bandreese

bandreese

Thanks for the reply. I think your right and I am going that route and I am in the process of cleaning it all the way around to really see the pain I am going to endure. I was at the Autumn Goodguys get together yesterday and saw a couple of theses Falcon wagons half ass done asking 15k? WTF... I guess i am out of touch on anything but Cadillacs but now I am looking at putting 5 or 6 into this and letting her drive it for sure. Everyone tells me wagons are getting hot and overpriced now so it seems logical to keep it. Thanks again for the advice and I think I am going your suggested route.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  8. abe lugo

abe lugo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man, just keep an update on how it goes to help others that come across the same issue. I think that is always the point here, helping others from what you learned and how you did it.

I'm getting to the age where, there are things I should have done with certain cars and things I should not have bought.
    I feel like a lot of these posting are guys that just need to get their old car running and safe. Then start having fun hotrodding.
    That one fancy Caddy in your Avatar BTW!

9. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

If you haven't seen this yet here is a link to MP&C's work. Very informative, I have self taught myself using his Technics and am having good success. I think around page 6-7-8 ? is roof repair similar to what you need. It will give you a great insight as to what may be involved, besides just being cool to see everything he has done. Good Luck!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/55-210-wagon-progress.788490/