Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 62 C10 Wiring Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowroder, Feb 17, 2020.

1. lowroder

lowroder

Fronts work as they should.
    Never had a front issue.

2. I asked about the front because that would help locate the problem to the switch

Yep the left and right are touching somewhere.
    Is your left wire yellow and the right green

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

lowroder likes this.
  3. lowroder

lowroder

Jim ... Yes The Colors Are Green An Yellow .. Left An Right. Brown As For Taillights.
    Talked To American Autowire Thats Who Manufactures The Harness For Ecklers. They Suggest I Might Have A Plug Issue.. Possibly Wires Somehow Making Contact Inside Plug... They Dont Believe Its In The Socket Area. Sooooooo..... Guess I Have To Cut My $64 Harness At The Plug An Check Wires.

4. mopar362000

mopar362000

Do cut your harness.Unplug harness from taillights both .Get test light ground light to frame turn on park lights brown wire then turn on left turn check to see if is flashing and the brown wire is staying on without pulsing then check right turn if the wires work correctly plug in rear housing 1 at a time. I think your problem is in your taillight housing short element is turn brake on 1157 bulb.Jimmie King

5. What Mopar said. A bad eliment in a bulb can cause all to flash, rotate them to the front and put your front bulbs in the back, you said they are working correctly.
    Dont cut yet!!!!!
    Get your test light and check one at a time. You need to get a different mind set when you are chasing wires if your upset when you are doing it you will miss something.
    You can take a battery and a couple of wires and play with the new harness and tailights while it is still on the truck to see if you can get just one light to flash. Just bring the plug to the back sit in the floor and make your lights work. This will help you learn what is happening.

6. I say this all the time, when you have a strange light issue, the 1st thing to do is start checking the bulbs. I keep a couple of old 1157 bulbs in my top box that I know are good. I marked the brass with a sharpie so I don't get them mixed up.

Outside of an odd miswire now and then, I have great luck with installing a new harness. Really no surprises but now have jinxed myself.

7. lowroder

lowroder

I have two brand new bulbs..
    I removed the bulbs an checked ea socket pin.
    Both flash my test light same as a bulb would.
    I haven't actually removed my harness from the housing yet.
    But I'll do this an re run my checks.
    The sockets are actually part of the housing.

8. lowroder

lowroder

The gentleman from American autowire..
    Said after what tests I done.
    Its possible something touching in the plug molding.
    Cause the wires run separately up to the tail light housing.
    An I have separate ground wires going to frame .....
    So theres good ground.
    Stay tuned. I'll be back at it this weekend.

9. There is always the possibility that it is in the plug we just hate to see you cut and it not be the problem. If you do cut it you can always get some shrink tube and solder and shrink it. Chances are that you will never need to unplug it ever again anyway. Good luck think it out and keep us posted.

10. jaracer

jaracer

If you have a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) you can connect one lead to battery ground using a jumper wire, with the lamp on, connect the other lead to the ground at the light, eg. the housing. If the meter reads more than 0.1 volt, you have a bad ground. With really dim lights, you may see 8 or 9 volts on the ground side. That's proof you have a bad ground.

You can also check for high resistance on the power side by connecting one lead to battery ground, and the other side to the power side of the lamp; the lamp must be on during this test. You should read within 0.2 of battery voltage. If battery voltage is 12.6 and you see at least 12.4, you are good. Less than 12.4 and you have a bad connection somewhere on the power side.

11. lowroder

lowroder

So...
    As suspected with the wire check tests....
    My gut feeling was it's the new harness plug.
    So....
    Cut it off.
    Wired up my original plug to the new harness from American autowire. An Gentleman we have correctly working taillights...
    20200425_125049.jpg

12. Feels good to win one, good for you

lowroder likes this.
  13. lowroder

lowroder

:)

14. Or it could be a bum harness plug.... good find.

15. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl