Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Buick Special, My attempt at a mild custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Flat-Foot, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Thanks bro! The support and advice I have gotten from you and the guys has been a huge part of why I dove into this thing.

I will admit I have amasses a decent amount of tools through sheer luck, as far as skills go..... pictures are forgiving. My work is far from perfect but I have learned a ton with this car. That was the idea from day one, I wanted to develope a little bit of skill for a better project down the line.

Thanks man! They are cool little cars. JamesD's photo shop skills are insane. I agree about the quarters and tail lights

Go for it! I am always glad to see another little buick getting some love. Look up Bloodyknuckles 61 Skylark build... pure bad ass.

2. jrdeleon0430

jrdeleon0430

You've made great progress on your Buick. It's inspiring. I've subscribed to this thread and look forward to seeing more! Keep up the great work!

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Keep it up! You need to teach those Iron Lords a thing or two about mild customs. :)

4. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Hah!:D Those guys are too busy will Early ford hot rods, full custom 54 Chevys, frame off Mercs, and Historic 55 Gassers and more.

5. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I have gotten a little bit done over the past few weeks.

Finally stripped and worked on the rear quarters. They came out ok, In my head I am Brian Bass in reality not so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car has been long overdue for some exhaust. When I got the car the stock exhaust fell off after a few hundred miles. For the last two years I have had this single glasspack rigged under there. It actually sounded pretty good but the placement led to a lot of fumes in the car.

[​IMG]

So today I rolled on down to the exhaust guy and had it done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finished product. It took some creativity on the part of the exhaust guy since there is no room under there. I am happy with the way it looks and sounds. Also the fact that there are no fumes in the car is a huge plus.

[​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  6. Ummm....Awesome!!!

BloodyKnuckles

7. That's sweet, Kev! Bellflowers are awesome!

8. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Thanks buddy

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    chriseakin likes this.
  9. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

My buddy Delton found me a killer set of NOS 13" caps. I still plan on switching to my 15" wheels as soon as I can afford tires. For now though I think they really changed the look of the car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    chriseakin likes this.
  10. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

11. Looks really, really good. Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

See you in the morning.

BloodyKnuckles

12. 88to52

88to52

awesome car!! I have a question, I have never had an encounter with these cars, what is the rear suspension? is it coil spring?

Just curious because looking at them i think i want to look into getting one, i love the styling of them

13. rwhite692

rwhite692

Hey just checking in....Car looks killer, Kev Man, keep it up

14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Yes coil springs all the way around.

15. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Thanks! Still messing with it here and there but I am collecting parts for a roadster project. Probably going to sell this one to fund the model a.

16. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

One word defines me for the past year SLACKER! Well not really, I've been working two jobs and hardly put any effort into the car. This past weekend a few of my clubmates came over and we yanked the motor and trans out. Plan to get everything cleaned up, new valve seales and replace every gasket and seal I can. The car has always run great but recently started smoking and developed a bunch of leaks that got worse over time.

I also stripped the remaining red paint off the roof. I found a couple small dents and a little bit of rust just below the quarter window.

Plans are to get the car in some kind of color, reseal the engine and trans, paint the engine bay, get the seats redone, make new (nicer) door panels, new carpet, headliner and.....................airbags out back. I love the way a negative rake looks but don't want to scrape everywhere.

17. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

18. You will love the one I just picked up! Looks like the orange one that was photoshopped. I'll post some pic's when I get home....
    FYI-The Wheelsmith,in Corona,Ca, carries 14x6 and 15x6 wheels with the 4 on 4 1/2 bolt circle. Just got me some 14" chrome ones for mine.

19. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

That's awesome! Can't wait to see it

20. Here's the "BEFORE" pic's....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  21. I have made some changes since these photos...
    Lowered it(3"-front,4"-rear)
    White steering wheel
    White door panels
    Removed the stupid Skull brake light in the rear window
    Shorter Bellflowers(18")
    Chrome wheels(14")
    New tires(175-85-14)
    Removed the 3" bullets from the grill
    Removed the tri-bars from the headlights

AND it's For Sale! Well...soon,haha

22. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

lookin good lose the gas door

23. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

That thing is wild bob. I'd love to see the chrome 14'S.

I was on the fence about it but your probably right.

24. Won't get them for two weeks. Have to be made. $375. for four with baby moon caps. Don't know if i'm running the caps yet.

25. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Wow that's a good deal.

26. Gonna work on today when I get home...then I might start my own thread,to cover the changes.

27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Well it certainly has been a little while since an update. I had all intentions of starting on all of this over the winter but life got in the way and it wasn't until March that I tore into it.

For the past three years I have driven the crap out of this car and it has never once let me down. But over the last year and a half it has developed some serious leaks. The engine bay was always pretty ugly too, so with the help of my club members we decided to pull the engine and trans, re seal everything and give it a little makeover.

A little alcohol and some good friends made this a lot more fun
    [​IMG]

Isn't that just the cutest little v6 you've ever seen HAHA (in hindsight I should have just put a v8 in)
    [​IMG]

and here she sat, just like this for a few months....
    [​IMG]

I cleaned up the stock valve covers and had them chromed by a friend of a friend who knows a guy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the meantime while sourcing all these obsolete gaskets I decided to get the last of the red paint off the car.

[​IMG]

Aside from one or two little dings the top of the roof was in great shape. The a pillars need some love but we will get to that later.

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the engine bay and gave it a little satin black paint job.
    [​IMG]

Then it came time re assemble and paint the engine. I took it over to my good friend and club member Kasey's house. Kasey was a life saver and helped me out a TON. We used POR15 olds gold to make it a little different. I think if I did it again I would reduce it and spray instead of brushing it on. I am still pretty happy with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some more gasket hunting and re assembly at Kasey's we loaded it up and brought it back to my house.

Kasey and Dick trying to work in this bastard of a transmission

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready to go back in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it's in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came the fun of remembering where everything went (remember when I mentioned alcohol being involved in the removal?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

The first ride was great! No leaks and running like a champ. I was so stoked!!!!
    [​IMG]

And then I came out in the garage the next day and for some reason smelled transmission fluid.....

[​IMG]

It seams that after it sits for a day or two the fluid flushes back from the converter and pukes out the base of the dipstick tube... not quite sure what to do here. Kasey thinks the internal seals are shot. Because this trans is such an oddball we are currently working on alternative plans.

Untill then I am gonna enjoy it! I just have to keep a pan under it and carry a gallon of fluid with me at all times! :)
    [​IMG]

I cannot thank my club enough for all the help. And my boy Jason who came in at the last minute helped get her purring like a kitten.

Before (when I got the car)
    [​IMG]

After (click for video)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  29. falconizer_62

falconizer_62