Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Buick Special, My attempt at a mild custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Flat-Foot, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Figured I would start a thread so I have one place to ask all my questions. Also anyone who is familiar with these cars your input is appreciated.

I bought this car a few months ago. It was a good deal and it will be a good car to learn on. I have a ton to learn. I haven't done much with it other than some minor electrical stuff. I mainly drove it as is for the summer.

First thing on the list is to lower it a little. Next will be floors, that will probably be a pretty big project. From there I hope to get a v8 in it. Still undecided if I want the 215 buick or a sbc.

Right now the end goal I have for it is a light gold (like JJ Barnhardts 32) with a pearl white or silver roof, maybe some scallops. Shaved door handles, mirrors, emblems, and molding. Chrome 15" steelies with baby moons and skinny white walls. Interior will be white tuck and roll with pained parts in gold.

Here is the car as it sits today:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Had a pretty good day yesterday with the help of my dad and brother.
    Cut 1 1/2 coils from the front and 1 in the back. Has a much better stance now.
    [​IMG]

Cut out an old rotted section of exhaust and put on a new piece. Ended up cutting it down a little further than this pic.
    [​IMG]

Also got the center caps on which turned out to be the most time consuming. Welded bolts on the dust caps in the front and used threaded rod in the back after tapping out the hole.

[​IMG]

All in all nothing major but it was good to get a few little things done.
    [​IMG]

If only it looked as good in person as it does in this picture.

3. yumyumchoppers

yumyumchoppers

these cars are cool I have the same one. The only problem witht the 215 is the bolt pattern on the bellhousing. Good luck finding any trans that will bolt up.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I see no reason to not stick with the V6 or upgrade the V6, the 215 would be minimal gains really. Though transmissions are not all that hard to find, You should be able to get a complete engine and transmission from a Rover at most salvage yards. :eek:

5. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

Looks like a totally different car. Nice job of the first step! I like the red & black theme. Got any more pics?

6. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Thanks, there are a couple on my profile from the day I got it. Ill post them on here as I get things done.

7. Looks much better. How does the 6 run? I know that our 215 ran great. The trans on those are the biggest POS in the world. They are a bastard trans and are not compatible with anything.

A 700r4 from a 2.8 V6 S10 is a good swap but will require some trans tunnel adjustments. The reason this trans is a good candidate is the bell housing is much smaller than the full size 700s. The torque converters are, I believe, a 10" insted of an 11". You will need an adapter from aluminumv8.com.

Just some info.

When are you coming to one of our shop nights??

BloodyKnuckles

8. duchan

duchan
    from Antigo, WI

I have the same car 62 special v6 auto with 13 in wheels all stock I got it about three years ago I plan to make it a simple custom. I converted the wheels to 15in steel with 5 on 4 3/4 with spider caps, I took hubs off a 65 chevy corvair for the front , and the rear I welded the holes up and drilled a new bolt pattern, it was a bitch because the axle has 4 large holes and once welded its hard to drill but can be done. it sits pretty low spring are wore out. I plan to put a v8, 65 buick 300 in it some day but it will take alot of work, the v6 runs great i just might keep it in their. If you have any questions let me know.
    The picture is when I first got it, I need to take more recent ones

Attached Files:

9. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Ron, the v6 runs like a champ just a very slow champ. I may try and get down there tomorrow night. I am going to ny next week and I might be picking up some parts for jeffry james, so I will definitely come by after that.

Duchan, glad to see another one. Post some more pics when you can.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I like the Buick V6's, and you can definitely do some upgrading to them, they don't have to be slow. Later V6 with a 200r4 would be a real good swap.

11. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I will have to look into upgrading it. Haven't seen a whole lot out there for that motor.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

There's alot more for the later 231, stuff like this Kenne Bell manifold
    And transmission options are better. Or this one and there are others like this.

There are Offy's and Edelbrocks still available new as well.

13. ever ride in a grand national buick? later buick stuff would make that thing fly.

14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Finally losing that ugly side molding. Unfortunately the 50 screws that hold it on are all rusted and won't turn so I am drilling them out one by one. I tried one of those extractor bits and it didn't do it.

[​IMG]

15. lawman

lawman

Clean little ride !!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

16. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

well not so much of a built update but an update none the less. I just enrolled in a 4 month auto body class at a local community college. I will get 8 hours a week to work on the car. Will post pics as I go.

17. Bellflowers.

BloodyKnuckles

18. FF, I didn't get to talk to you at the IL's party, but your li'l Special is saweet! I've always liked these and the Olds and Poncho cousins.

I'll catch you the next time I'm down to see Boobie and the gang!

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I vote for the Grand National V6.

20. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

That's the best thing you can do. I took the class, had a ball and repeated it for a few years running...

21. robleticia

robleticia

Sweet ride, love that body style!

22. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Turbo V6 like the GN as other's have said. That is a nice car.

23. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

While the turbo- v6 would be a blast I think if I do anything it will be the 215

Absolutley will make sure I say hello next time.

24. tcb-1

tcb-1

25. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Personally, I like the little aluminum 215's. Have had some good luck in the past with one in an Austin Healy Sprite. Ran like a bomb!

26. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

I didn't know GM used 4 lug wheels on anything that far back.
    Nice ride.
    Find a 215 out of a TR8 and get the tranny with it.
    Didn't Rover use it in some of the Range Rovers and Land Rovers?
    Though, that may not be any easier to find either...:rolleyes:

27. Yup! Rovers had these (or variants) all the way up to '94, I think. (Or is that when they went to fuel injection from carbs?)

28. JEF, Corvair had 4-lug in '60. Think that's the first one, tho!

29. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

The largest problem with engine swaps in these cars is the tiny tranny tunnels and shallow driveshaft tunnels. I have a 62 with a 300/th200 combo. I had to butcher the tranny tunnel and make a new cross member for it. next will be a new driveshaft tunnel while keeping or modifying all the crossmembers that are needed in it. P.S. for the 300 swap u will need a left side 215 exhaust manifold. Offy V6 intake manifolds appear regularly on ebay. I kept my 198 and rear end from my special for a future T-bucket project, cam and intake were bought on ebay. Good Luck Terry

30. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Progress has been a little slow but is starting to pick up

Took the fenders, bumper and hood off to strip down.
    [​IMG]
    Got both fenders down to bare metal. Going to fill in all the holes except the for the fake portholes. Was on the fence about keeping the special emblem but I decided to lose it.
    [​IMG]
    I have been insanely lucky with rust in these fenders. This is the worst of it.
    [​IMG]
    There is hardly any bondo either. I know I wont be this lucky when it comes to the quarters.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011