Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Bel Air Daily Driver Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 4, 2013.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

that came out pretty nice for rattle can paint and clear, good job.

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

thanks dude, I was pretty stoked with the results. your truck is lookin freakin awesome man. I wanna get back on mine so bad

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Then do it!

Thanks! I have to still work out all of the bugs on mine, so I have been doing that.. I got the brakes tuned in so they lock up when they are supposed to or pretty close. Pretty sweet ride so far! I just have to save up for the SPAL fan to replace my cheap Chinese one. I keep getting the thumbs up from a lot of people when I am driving around the block

How far are you into the carpet install?

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Interiors not goin in till next week. Im waitin on the seat upholstery and all the panel upholstery for the doors, kick panels, package tray and misc stuff. I also ordered sound deadener/heat insulation from lobucrod in the alliance vendors. Great reviews and great price so im gonna do that on the whole floor after I rustoleum the floors first. Then carpet and rest of interior

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. F.C.Fury

F.C.Fury

Oh man, I'm loving this! I had a 62' 4 door hard top impala back in high school. I still think about that car every day!

6. nice looking more 4 and the room ....

keep up the good work ...

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Im about to order some supremes. Im goin with a reversed set and need to figure out my backspacing. Anyone have pics of 14x7 reversed on a bel air. Couldnt find much online. I need to get out there with a tape and make sure itll clear

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I sprayed the rest of the interior trim with the duplicolor dark blue metallic and cleared it. i also picked up some powder white pearl, a Hyundai color from duplicolor and sprayed the tissue holder. i will also be spraying the steering wheel this color.

heres the trim sanded....

[​IMG]

and sprayed.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the clear fogged up on this one but it dried fine and turned out just like the rest :confused:

[​IMG]

and heres the powder white pearl...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

the center post trim pieces had this vinyl effect stamped into the metal which i though looked like shit because it was the only piece in the entire car like this and matched nothing....

[​IMG]

so i smoothed em out, soon to be sprayed blue to match after bodywork...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

this is a sneak peek of whats to come on the interior. i just layed the covers over the seat for a quick look. package tray and door panels will be similar style. ill post pics this weekend when everything goes in :D

[​IMG]

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nice looking covers and the trim is looking good too

12. 1959apache

1959apache

looks terrible :p

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks guys lol. Hey apache ill be pm'ing you soon for aome interior tips and working with vinyl lol ur truck looks sweet

14. 1959apache

1959apache

Alright dude, let me know. Do you have hog ring pliers?

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Im gonna pick a pair up this week, how many rings should I get? Tractor supply has 100 for 3 bucks

16. 1959apache

1959apache

That is fine, you shouldn't use that many, but you are new and are bound to mess up on your initial install. That box is a good amount. Are you just doing the front seat or the back seat as well (assuming both)? I may have to facetime with you to show you a couple tricks, its easier than trying to write a page on how to turn it inside out and peel it over while keeping you out of trouble.

Do you have pictures of the inside of the new cover(s) and have you peeled off your old one yet?

17. unit8

unit8
    from Idaho

That is one sweet daily driver!

18. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

very cool car--id drive it

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks guys

Apache, Everyone said to just put those covers over the originals? Ill get you some pics when I can. Im doing both seats, all door panels, kick panels and a custom package tray. Also re wrapping armrest pads with pleats.

20. 1959apache

1959apache

You can, people have done it many times in the past, is there much padding on the bottom of the new covers? What about the old seats, any tears? What about beading on the old seats? Is the seat broken, any springs broken? There's a right way to do it and a "let's just do this for now" way to do it.... I know your attention to detail and you are going to be bothered by something not coming out right. You tell me what you want to do with it and how far you want to go. It seems with the interior painting that you are doing that you want to ride around in something pretty nice.

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Decent amount of padding on the new covers. Original seats are solid and foam n springs seem nice which is why I didnt want to go through the hassle of removing the old covers if I didnt have to. Few tears on the surface. None are deep or losing foam

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

It is my daily, and I want it to look nice but at the same time a minor imperfection isnt gonna bother me. If i were going full on ground up build like my truck then I would stress over it. But im just lookin for a solid quality lookin daily

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Reverse supremes came today !!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

can I ask where you got them?,thinking about changing the riims on my car

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Summit believe it or not. There the us wheel supremes. Reinforced well on the backside and shipping is free

26. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thank you,they are in back yard .may just be putting a set on my56 delivery. thanks aalot

27. 1959apache

1959apache

nice looking wheels!

You can cover the old covers with the new ones then from what you have said above. If they didn't have foam under the cover then you may have had an issue, especially with tears, there will be a low spot on the cover and you will notice if the foam is missing. Do you have beads on the original seams of the seats? I would consider removing them if you do before installing the new cover.

Did you get the interior stuff installed yet?

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ok thats what ill do then. and no not yet, I have off work today and tomorrow so ill have a nice 4 day weekend to try and knock it all out. today will be tearing the dash apart and painting the dash and other pieces. hopefully tomorrow and Saturday will be the carpet, seats, and door panels

29. 1959apache

1959apache

The seats are probably going to take several hours (half a day at least) since this is your first time. I wouldn't plan on getting much else done, not trying to burst your bubble, just saying expect the worst. Sometimes those premade covers are not made quite right, plus it is difficult for a beginner (especially with you being short like me) to put covers on by yourself if someone doesn't give you a couple tips (they are hard enough to do by yourself when they are vinyl because you run the risk of tearing them). so you may have to play around with it until you get it where it needs to be. Ill PM you my number and we can facetime if you have a iphone if you have questions.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

sorry for the long delay. my laptop and phone have been on the fritz and work has been crazy. the duplicolor paint didn't work out. had wayyy to many issues getting it to lay right. sprayed it krylon navy blue instead. also stripped the floors and painted them and put in sound deadener from lobucrod here on the hamb. great stuff to work with at a great price.

floor getting ready to sand and paint...

[​IMG]

dash gutted and started to throw a coat of cheap paint on the floor....

[​IMG]

dash sanded n ready for paint...

[​IMG]

basic adhesive to hold down the sound deadener...

[​IMG]

dash taped and ready to paint. double layer sound insulated throughout the car.....

[​IMG]

quick fit for the carpet.....

[​IMG]