Register now to get rid of these ads!

62-65 B-body/RB headers-who's running what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al K, Nov 14, 2009.

1. All right,you B-body guys;who's running what for headers if you've got an RB mill? My '64 Sport Fury(with a 413 in it) has power steering AND power brakes. Most of the units I've seen will fit power steering,but not power brakes. Hmmm;looking at mine,I see what looks like a fair amount of room back by the booster. What is the problem,clearance-wise? Am I going to have to convert to non-power brakes to run some tubes? From what I've seen,it's looking like TTI might be my best choice,as the other quality brands are listed as NOT fitting power brakes. In fact,most of various company's listings/specs don't even show potential fitment issues.

So,what are you guys running,and what fit issues did you run into? The last thing I want is to buy a quality set of pipes and have to resort to ball-peen technology to make them fit. I've matured(somewhat) from the days of header-bashing. But,back then,I couldn't afford the "good" stuff,so certain "modifications" were expected with the less-expensive pieces.

Thanks,folks;any help/advice is appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. junkyardkat

junkyardkat

I had a 62 belvedere and a 440 in it, I used a set of heddman headers a little pricey at the time but they fit great.

3. Thanks,junkyardkat;did you have power brakes on yours? I'd rather not give that up,if I don't have to. My advanced age and all that... plus the benefits of better stopping ability.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I have TTI's on my 65 the best header on the market.

5. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I ran a set of Hooker SC on my 63, but it was an all business car.

6. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

The Doug's B-body equal lengths are real nice. I plan to convert the Coronet over to a dual circuit master with manual discs up front, but I don't intend to use a booster. That's the setup I usually see on '62-65 stuff.

7. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I have a set of old, I mean OLD, Hedman's on my '63 Dodge and I guess they are okay. They do fit around the power steering box, but it is a really tight fit! I had to heat one tube and put a big whang in it so that it wouldn't rub against the box. Also, the paint that was on the headers from the factory was just pathetic. Be sure if you use Hedman's to at least strip the paint off and redo with a quality header paint.

I have a dual circuit manual master cylinder, so I have no issues there.

If I had to do it again, I would go for TTI's, for certain.

8. You know,I've seen header listings for '66-or-'67 and up platforms,and some that are '62-5 specific. Hell,I've seen a '62-73 listing. What's the difference in chassis(62-5 compared to '66-up);just the K-frame,or is there more? I'd also like to stick with 1-7/8" tubes;my mill won't require 2" pipes.

Could I run just a dual master in place of the current single mc/booster,and from what model/platform?

Folks,I'll say it again-THANK YOU!

9. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

I have a set of chassis headers that came off of a 63 Belvedere with power steering and power brakes...they were ordered through Mopar magazine..Bob Mosher ordered some sets at the same time because they were really good..they are jet coated as well..This was years ago..
    I wont have any pics until Monday..pm me if you are interested..
    We took them off to run fenderwells...

10. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

11. YES! One of my favorite "alternate" sites,but I haven't seen any header info either. There's a lot to look at there,so maybe more navigation is in order.

Ramzoom,you've got a PM. I'm interested.

...and tomorrow,you can all help me figure out some wiring issues. What fun!

12. I have the headers off my 74 440 charger on my 63 Dodge 426 MW. Mine are Hooker super comps. They are real close at the steering box and I had to cheat slightly so the centre link TRE wouldnt rub but to be truthfull they have been on since 2000 and almost 39000 miles so? My pal run Hooker Comps on his 400 Mirada (82) but the same application as my SCs. On his though the tube that gives the most trouble on mine goes over the top on his. I suspect they would work better.
    What is the difference? 65 and earlier have the engine set forward more than 66 an later. I beleive it is about 2 inches but it has been years since I measured one so I may be off on that. I get very frustrated with the header companies. The moving slighty of one single pipe would in many cases allow the headers to fit all from 62 to 74 . I have modified a few set to fit these earlier chassis and it is not a big job. Pass side usually fits perfect anyway. TTI are real nice but why would i pay 700 to $1000 for headers when the other brand guys can get theirs for a couple of hundred.
    I do have a set of NOS headmans , the old 2 piece ones from the early 60s. these came out of Dave Sticklers old building but are missing gaskets. Also theya re only 1 5/8 which was fine for an early 383 , 413 but I want at least exhaust valve size which is 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 (approx) Eddys are 1.81 as are many others and MW were 1.88. I like to have my primary at least that size or as close as I can get practically speaking. The 62 to 65 Group is a wonderful resource and they are an absolutley great bunch of folks. You can not go wrong parking your computer there. They will do everything they can to help you out and answer your questions.
    Don

13. Primer King

Primer King