Register now to get rid of these ads!

62-63 caddy steering wheel spline fit a chevy column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, May 24, 2013.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Anyone know when caddy steering wheels switched to the common chevy size and spline count? I am looking into getting a 62-64 or so steering wheel but I need to know if it will fit a chevy column.

2. ryno

ryno

I wanta say 68 or so, they changed, look up a billet adapter, and it will say the years

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, looks like 1967 was the first year of the switch.

4. Just pulled a 63 caddy column from a wrecking yard and was planning this steering wheel swap on my 62 impala, did you find it worked? The threads on the column shaft are messed up so I'm having to repair that first before I can pull the wheel to find out.

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I ended up taking the whole caddy steering column with the wheel but I did not compare the steering wheel yet. Too busy driving the car, will be an over the winter thing since I need to notch my steering column up into the dash as well. Too low right now to use the bigger steering wheel.

[​IMG]

6. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Caddy and either Buick or Olds wheels used a larger splined shaft than the Chevys.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I am sure that is right, when I looked up the adapter it looked like 1967 was the year change. I may end up cutting out the center of the 63 wheel and welding in a chevy center, or posibly changing the whole column depending on how much of a PITA the electrical will be.