Register now to get rid of these ads!

'61 T-Bird 9"....how wide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boogeracng, Jul 6, 2011.

1. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Been all over the internet and tried the search option here....no luck. The charts I've seen don't reference the Thunderbird. Anyone know the width (WMS to WMS) for a '61 T-Bird?

2. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I got a 57 and its pretty short. Small bearing and all.

3. dont know about a 61 but a 60 is around 55inch from perch to perch

4. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

about 60 1/2"

5. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

To clarify, I need wheel mounting surface (WMS) or axle flange face, to WMS. Perch width does nothing....they will be moved anyway. Thanks anyway for your input.

6. 61TBird

61TBird

Since it's late and I don't feel like taking the rear wheels/drums off and actually measuring...:eek:

This chart has it at 56" housing flange to housing flange.
    http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Fordrears.html
    Add a couple inches for the axles and you'll be in the ballpark...:D

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Although it drives me nuts that people insist on giving (nearly) useless dimensions for rear axle width when what is asked for is WMS to WMS...........However, that said, IF the housing is indeed 56"......the requested dimension should be about 61"......give or take a 1/4".

I base that on having just measured '57 Merc & '58 Edsel housings and axle shafts for another HAMBER. My housings were 55 3/8" from outside to outside the housing flange. Total calculated width WMS to WMS was 60 3/4". I didn't depend on the housing dimension however, I am just citing it as a reference. I measured the axle shafts, included the diff gap and added for drum web thickness to arrive at that figure. So, if in fact the housing is 56", then 61" should be very close. Hope this helps.

Ray