Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 Mecury Comet Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 067chevy, Dec 31, 2011.

1. 067chevy

067chevy

Just got this car given to me. I've seen a couple 61 comet gasser's but would love to see some more pics to get an Idea of what to do with it. Right now it just out side Austin, TX and I will be bringing it home with me this next week. I already have a grill lined up and I have a low mile 460 and c6. So show me what you got.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 067chevy

067chevy

No 61 Comets? This must be a rare car. LOL

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

You might have to wait more than an hour, all the guys with '61 Comet gassers might not be hanging around on the HAMB right now. :rolleyes:

Especially on NEW YEARS EVE!! :eek:

4. alaskaal

alaskaal
    from Delaware

That would make a great gasser!

5. 067chevy

067chevy

Anybody have anything to add.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I didn't see much online so I did a "quick & dirty" of your car. I'm sure that 460 will wake this puppy right up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The shock towers will have to go somewhere to get the 460 in there, but it should be cool, unique, and fast when you get it figured out. Hope you have a good plan for body and trim stuff; those aren't nearly as common as their Falcon cousins.

8. 067chevy

067chevy

Found a GRILL FOR IT AND and some other trim pieces. As far as the shock towers go they will have to go and will do a straight axle and leaf springs.

Nice photo shop work there OahuEli. I can't wait to get to Texas and drag it back to Nebraska. I'm leaving today.

9. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

Econoline straight axle. 9" rearend. Possible myth is that early 60's Fairlane V8's had a 9" that bolts right into the Comet and Falcon.

10. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

11. 067chevy

067chevy

I remember that and found it again when I googled. That chop top really doesn't do much for me though.

John Surber likes this.
  12. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

Holy Shackles, Batman!!!!

13. Nice find:cool:......I am a Chevy guy but certain other gassers do it too......and the 61 Comets make exceptional cool gassers......suggestions......high revving SBF.........4-speed.........white on blue.......subtle lettering.....of course straight axle......aluminum painted bumpers.......early Mustang buckets......Hilborns and tear-drop hood with c.i. on teardrop, ole skool tach on dash. Just some Ideas......I have only seen one last year and it really caught my attention. Wish I had a pic of it . Hey, congrats on the car....you will get some reaction on here soon. :)

14. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Cool car for a gasser for sure. I even kinda like the ebay chopped roof too, Good luck and keep on posting build pix. John

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

[​IMG]

Please tell me custom rat gassers are not the next wave...

16. Powerband

Powerband

I got my '61 from a junkyard @ 10 years ago. It sat as lawn art until recently. Now driving it and although it's not quite a gasser - it's kinda' done, just like I wanted .

Best of '50's Jet Age styling and one of last American cars with BIG HONKIN' TAIL FINS ...

[​IMG] <> [​IMG] <> [​IMG]

[​IMG] <> [​IMG] <> [​IMG] <> [​IMG] <> [​IMG] <> [​IMG] <> [​IMG] N> [​IMG] <> [​IMG] <>[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

.. come on , name another car with fender mounted GUNSIGHTS...

[​IMG]

Have Fun

'61 T'Bolt Six:

Blueprinted D6DE Ford 250 Six; Jahns Racing cast pistons at @ 10:1CR, Clifford Shot Peened and Balanced Rods, Clifford 272H Cam, Line Bored & Balanced Bottom End, Torque Plate Machined .070 Cylinder Overbore, Sealed Power moly rings, Clevite &#8220;77&#8221; tri-metal main/rod bearings, FE Chrome-moly pushrods, Stainless steel 1.88 intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, Ported and Polished chambers and relieved valve shrouds . Cloyes timing set, Melling blueprinted HP oil pump, Clevite Anti pump-up lifters, Fisher custom Harmonic Balancer, Offenhauser Tri-Power 3X1 aluminum intake manifold w/ Offy progressive linkage, Modified Holley 1904 series glass bowl carbs w/ K&N air filters, Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Re-Curved Duraspark electronic distributor, GM HEI ignition trigger, Indexed Champion racing spark plugs, Brass expansion plugs, Glyptal sealed engine block, Detroit hipo gasket set, Clifford blueprinted racing engine oil additive, Polished aluminum alternator, timing chain cover, thermostat housing, water pump and PCV., Matte black/alum. 6=8 Clifford valve cover. SFI 157 neutral balance-lightened racing flywheel spinning Centerforce Stage II Clutch, T5-Z Cobra 5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, 8&#8221; 3.80:1 TracLoc Posi rear, Shelby Traction Masters and sway bars, Mustang front strut bars, Scarebird Disc front brakes, Fabricated subframe connectors and crossmembers, 8 Point Roll bar, 5 point Safety Belts, Mustang 5.0 alum. racing radiator, Perma-Cool electric pusher fan, Holley fuel pump/pressure regulator, Hooker 6602 dual out longtube headers, Smithy silencers, Original tube radio and vacuum wipers and front fender Gunsights&#8230;

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  17. Saw this one a couple months ago in a magazine. I thought it was done up pretty well being a Comet fan myself.

[​IMG]

18. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I saw this car at a NHRA Reunion once. I like the idea of a chopped Comet mid 60s gasser with a straight axle.....but it is a little too ratty. Lose the zoomies and long shackles....add a blown big block....period wheels....nice paint. Hell you'd have to name it Wild Thing.

19. A couple more....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Like you wouldn't shit your pants if this pulled up next to you at a light.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

maybe from laughing so hard...:rolleyes:

22. derbydad276

derbydad276

same here

23. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Look at center fold of new 2012 Summit racing Catalog

24. 067chevy

067chevy

Just looked at that but its a 63 Fairlane not a Comet

25. [​IMG]
    those taillights are TITS!

26. Read my mind.

I wouldn't use a 460, too modern. A MEL, Y-block or small block ford(kinda lame) would be more appropriate, or even another make of early engine.

27. 067chevy

067chevy

But I have a 460 in an 1982 Ford ambulance that only has 33,000 miles on it and runs like a top.

28. sololobo

sololobo

That is a way cool little Comet. Great lines and looks to be quite solid in spite of living outdoors for a while. Rock on bro. ~sololobo~

29. jazzbum

jazzbum

agreed. that is an exceptionally ugly car.

30. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

Sweet '61 Comet, love the cats-eye lenses and pancaked trunk lid! What kind of rims are on the back, it's hard to tell in the pictures but they have a different spoke to them (4-spoke radirs?). Check out the October 2011 Car Kulture Deluxe - at the back there is a write-up about a 1961 Mercury Gasser called "Mercury Poison" (I've seen some pictures of it posted on the HAMB). Here's a link to some pictures of the "Mercury Poison" gasser...

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/gotdrt/vehicles/15089

[​IMG]

Enjoy!
    Tom - Glass_Packs