Register now to get rid of these ads!

'61 Ford Falcon 4-door

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by Beach Bum, May 14, 2014.

1. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

City: Redondo Beach

State: California
    Price: 5000 obo
    Backstory

In 2008 my son decided he wanted a cool old car and found this Falcon locally. The car was owned by a Falcon enthusiast and looked really good and had been recently painted and came with lots of receipts for new parts. The car drove well enough if a bit slow but my son just wanted something to go back and forth to school and tool around in. He's now graduated college and is job hunting so bought a newer car. As much as I like old cars I have too many other projects so no time or space for this one. This could be a great project for someone with some skills and enthusiasm.

Body

The body is generally solid. This has been a California car it's whole life as far as I know. Previous owner said the car came from the Fresno area. Floors and rockers are rock solid with only light surface rust on the underside of the car. The right front fender got bashed as you can see. The front bumper and the end of the valence are tweaked as a result. All are repairable but it may be easier to source replacements. There is a shallow dent right behind the right rear door. Biggest issue is the paint. When we got the car the paint was fairly new and we were told that it had a full glass out paint job including door jambs, engine compartment and trunk. After we had the car about a year, the paint started failing. I don't know if it was applied poorly, mismatched materials or what but there are areas where the color coat is separating from the primer in large chunks. Biggest area of concern is at the base of the C-pillars and rear window. The paint has lifted and moisture has gotten underneath and there is now surface rust. As far as I can tell there is no rust-thru.

The stainless trim is all there and in good shape, some light scratches but no twists or dents. Bumpers were re-chromed some time ago but show some rust pitting. Badges and lettering are all there and in nice shape.

Interior

Probably the nicest part of the car, front and rear seats reupholstered and the door panels were replaced, all by previous owner. The front seat is from a later car and has headrests. All the trim and handles are originals in decent shape. Some of the plastic knobs are a bit rough and the chrome shows some pitting. The dash pad was painted with Mar-hyde and it's flaked a bit. Carpet is in good shape and not worn. Headliner may be original but has no tears, some wrinkles at the edges and may need to be re-stretched. Most of the door rubber and window seal were replaced probably when the car was painted. All the glass is in good shape with one little star in the windshield. There are 3-point seat belts for the front seat but no belts for the back. There is a nice AM-FM-CD radio with iPOD connector in the glovebox. For some reason the radio portion has stopped working however.

Drivetrain

Engine is a 170ci six and is not original to the car. The engine is from a '63 I believe. Mileage on engine is unknown and I don't think it has been rebuilt. Compression is 125 to 135 across the cylinders. It has a newly rebuilt Autolite 1100 1-barrel carb from El Monte Carb Exchange. Starts and runs well. Updated with breakerless ignition and alternator. Car has been upgraded with a C4 3-speed automatic. The 1-2 shift is a bit harsh but otherwise the trans works well. It does weep a little fluid and I haven't tried to track that down. The battery is the wrong size and the hold-down is kind of mickey mouse. Stock rear axle with recently replaced rear pinion seal and U-joints. Exhaust pipes are fairly new but the muffler looks older and I don't think is the stock one. Both in good shape.

Suspension and Brakes

Suspension is stock. Front tie rods and ball joints are well past their prime, may be original and should be replaced soon. Shocks seem OK. Steering is original manual and has a good bit of slop. I'm sure the steering box could stand an adjustment. Brakes were upgraded to front power disks with a Detroit Classics kit. However, the brake effort required is really high. You really have to stand on the pedal. It may be that the 6-cylinder doesn't pull enough vacuum for the booster to work properly or it might be there is a problem with the booster. I haven't looked into it that much but I think it should work better than it does. Car rides on 14” steelies with P185/75-14 Kelley tires with lots of tread. Spare tire is same as the tires on the car but needs the valve stem replaced. Hubcaps are from an early ‘70s MoPAR and fit the style of the car nicely.

$5000 or best offer.
    email: koblinger@verizon.net
    IMG_7986.jpg IMG_7987.jpg IMG_7990.jpg IMG_7991.jpg IMG_7992.jpg IMG_7994.jpg IMG_7995.jpg IMG_7996.jpg IMG_7997.jpg IMG_7998.jpg IMG_7999.jpg IMG_8003.jpg IMG_8004.jpg IMG_8005.jpg IMG_8006.jpg

abescustom likes this.
  2. Beach Bum

Beach Bum