Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 buick brakes......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tore, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Tore

Tore

I`m looking for a new brake set up for my special
    I need better brakes and to go from 4 lug to 5 lug (astros)
    running a 215 manuell and airbags
    annyone know if there is a reasonable set up ?

2. Tore

Tore

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

for the front i'd look into if maybe scarebird or somebody makes a disc kit for it. for the rear i don't know if you can retap those drums or not....ken....

4. Tore

Tore

looking for a bolt on kit.

5. 28pontiac

28pontiac

Is this a Special / Skylark?

I have a 62 Olds F85 which is basicly the same car and have been considering the same thing.... I think a M/C from a mid 70's camaro would work -disc brakes, but no power. (There's not enough room for the booster with the structural member) For the front, I think rotors and calipers will work as well, which are 4 3/4 on 5 with homemade brackets out of 3/8 or 1/2" plate. The rear axles don't have enough meat on them to redrill, which is where I stopped...

6. DrJ

DrJ

Are '64-'65 rear ends and/or axles and front hubs compatible and 5 lug?

7. Tore

Tore

I realy would like my new astros to fit
    It goes with the stance and style I`m working towards.

8. DrJ

DrJ

ECI makes a disc brake kit for '62-'67 ChevyII/Nova cars. It might fit or they might make one or be adaptable to fit your Buick.
    Call them at 203-872-7046 and find out.
    If the person answering the phone doesn't know, ask for Ralph.

According to the picure in my Motors repair manual, the rear hubs have holes between the four lugs.
    This makes redrilling impossible but you might be able to make or get an adapter to go to 5 lugs, I see it having to carry 4 new position lugs and one longer lug that goes all the way through the adapter and the wheel...
    The adapter is bolted on with the four lugs.
    The adapters would probably be about an inch thick (2.5cm) and affect tire/fender clearance.
    They make adapters to mount 5 lug wheels to 4 lug later VW's I think.
    Might be compatible size.

9. 28pontiac

28pontiac

64-67 rears are way different.... It wouldn't be a bolt on... The axle tubes are different dia.s, the axle dia. is different, the track is different, etc. The upper and lower control arms are different widths / angles... Not to say that it can't be done, I thought the keyword here was bolt-on...

There are 4 holes between the lugs on the rear axles, thus no meat to re-drill...

I never thought about the Nova drums being 5 lug (on some).... I am curious about drum dia. and bearing sizes.... The bearing size and shoe size for 64- up A Body is larger.... (As measured on my 66 Buick Skylark Convertible, vs. my 62 Olds Cutlass...) I am also curious about the Nova rearend.... I believe it was leaf, but are the axle sizes and splines the same? HMMMM....

On ebay there are adaptors for BIN for 4 on 4 1/2 to 5 on 4 1/2 for $150.00 but add (subtract) almost 1 1/2 or 2" of back space...

I've been considering the same thing off and on, but pretty much have decided to get 14" steel wheels off an early Mustang, painting them a complementary color (not red) and a tasteful baby moon or poverty cap.

10. 28pontiac

28pontiac

Maybe I will just put my Pep Boys skull and crossbone spinning hubcaps on it to match my erecter set wing, poorly adhered vinyl racing stripe and coffee can exhaust / fart can, that way I can haul my Chinese rip-off electric scooter...

Not really..... But I do keep thinking about early chromed steel or aluminum slots.... The kind that a lot of guys were putting on their Vegas back in the day, but they're beyond the scope of what is considered Traditional.....

11. fms427

fms427

Go to "Scarebird"'s website - he is an Alliance Vendor - and makes a kit to add front disc brakes - using the 4 bolt pattern.

12. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

We do make a kit for this, but as 427 says, it uses the original bolt pattern. Some guys like the 5 lug Ford pattern - we can do it, but would be a custom deal.

13. fms427

fms427

Tore - unless you already have the wheels - look around - the 4X4.5 is fairly common on most wheels - was used on old Mustangs among others, I think. I'm building a 62 Buick Special conv., and have decided to keep the 4 bolts. No really easy way to change !! Scarebird, I'll be calling !!!!

14. Tore

Tore

Thanks for the info !
    The Scarebird kit may solve my frontwheels.
    yes, the astros are inn my shop and I dont want annything else (stubborn I know)
    Tore.