Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 61-64 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jul 9, 2009.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man thats nice....drooool :D:D

2. ryno

ryno

i dont think id do that!

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet Ponchos, Guys! Keep 'em coming. I love the black/red two tone w/ red stripes. Also, the '65 with Astros looks great. Can you still buy those wheels?

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. 36 poncho

36 poncho
    from ny

View attachment 925349

View attachment 925350
    i had to slide my '60 in here.dont mean to offend, but i had to join the fun. It has orig bench seat,spaghetti shifter- 4-speed s-t-10- tri-power 389
    steelies with cheaters and pie crust for that old drag look

6. 36 poncho

36 poncho
    from ny

7. Parts Man

Parts Man

Cant find my pics right now. First car i owned was a '64 Tempest convert. 326 w/4 speed trans. All the old folks at the local cruise night were jealous when a 16yr old rolled up in it.....LOL Wish i still had that car. Haven't seen another one in person. Probably all got converted to GTO clones i guess.

8. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

here is My 63 grand prix from the late 80 early 90s
    Paul
    [​IMG]

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff, How in the heck can you need "more room" in the trunk of a '64 Bonneville? It's as big as a pickup bed! :)

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does he have a driver's side rear quarter panel for a 2 dr. HT '64 Catalina? If so, hook me up.

11. SOLO

SOLO

Here's my work in progress 64.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      509.5 KB
      Views:
  12. WQ59B

WQ59B

13. WQ59B

WQ59B

14. poncho loco

poncho loco
    from sw ohio

My '62. Owned by a little 'ol lady. 65,000 miles,power steering and brakes, and blows cold air. I cut the front coils, and heated the rear. Stock wheels painted purple with chrome lugs and clear hubcaps.

Attached Files:

15. This blue car is a pic of a the former Don Gay 61 Cat owned by a fella I bought some parts from and a couple other pics I liberated from here and there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  16. Has anyone ever seen a tech article or thread anywhere about how best to swap Pontiac 8-lug wheels/brakes for a more conventional wheels/brakes?
    While I don't currently own one, someday I'd like to build a custom '64 Grand Prix and as much as I love the look of the 8-lug wheels on a stocker, I'd most likely want to mount my own wheels.
    Any and all suggestions are welcome.

17. Kinda cool seeing this thread come back up as I spent most of today working on my 61 Safari and a bit on my green Catalina bubble top.
    A little here and there, will eventually get to enjoy them both. Also going to be building a 61 Ventura to sell. Have Over 5O full size Pontiacs from 61 to 64, many are parts cars if anyone is looking for somethig, contact me here in Arizona [email protected]

Also hosting a cool Pontiac/Buick/Olds show and race next month on November 13. There should be a good number of these 61 to 64s there.

These are among the best looking cars ever made.

Wanted to ask everyone here something.
    Has anyone bought one of the aftermarket larger front sway bars for these cars and used them? I see a 1 1/8" front bar on ebay and wonder how well they work? I bet they work pretty good.
    I have already clipped the frame on my 61 Safari using a later Pontiac wagon front frame but, am considering buying one of these bars for my bubble top which uses stock frame. anyone?

18. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Thats cool!!

I have the same 62 Bonny 4 dr hardtop!

how many coils did you cut off the front???

19. Heres my latest project.. new windshield and all new rubber should be in by next week. torching the rear springs soon too. lookin for a set of chrome reverse to put on here. 5 on 5 15''s

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      485.7 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      294.4 KB
      Views:
  20. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Well not exactly in the same style that you guys are building but this is my '63.

[​IMG]

Just always wanted to build a gasser and I love the 59 to 69 big cars. So I'm combining the two.

[​IMG]

Mark L

21. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Any more info on this one?

Attached Files:

22. thunderplex

thunderplex

...just putting this thing together. ...front disc brakes, 4 speed trans, Mad Dog headers, rebuilt 389.

...It's for sale.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

23. Unfortunately no, I can't remember where I got that pic from as I just save them from here and there on the web. It is a damn cool 4-door though ain't it?

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang. I've got to get finished with my '41 Plymouth and get back to my '64 Cat.

25. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Buddies 63 Cat that I love and have had a great time working on. Still deciding on a stock car theme or not on it.

Attached Files:

26. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

I love it!! It looks great!

27. Jonny Tooth

Jonny Tooth
    from Victoria

lovin all the pics of the ponchos, i need to do the rear quarters in my 64 laurentian, canadian model of the catalina. dose anyone know what cars ar interchange able? and where i can get them? i want my car done by the spring.

28. Jonny Tooth

Jonny Tooth
    from Victoria

bttt come no one know where i can find Quarters

29. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There's not a lot of tech advice needed, you just take off the 8 lugs and put the regular ones on. :) In addition to the wheels you need a set of conventional drums appropriate to the age of the car (1965 and newer big Pontiacs had wider front drums.) The brake internals (shoes, etc.) are the same, so you just pull off the 8 lug drums, put the conventional drums on, and then bolt on your wheels.

FYI, 8 lugs weren't standard on 1964 Grand Prixs, most of them came with regular wheels so chances are you won't have to worry about it.

Finally, there are several ways to upgrade from drum brakes to disk brakes, but that's a topic that's been covered elsewhere many times.

30. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I believe the only direct interchange will be off another Laurentian of the same body style. There will be differences between two door and four door cars, and I'm pretty sure US cars will be slightly different as well.