Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 61/62 vs. 63/64 Olds 98 Suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmarcus, Dec 8, 2019.

1. cmarcus

cmarcus

Hey all,

I am going to be acquiring a 1963 Oldsmobile 98 Custom Sport Coupe next weekend, and one of the first things that will need to happen is an altitude adjustment. That being said, looking at Jamco's site for lowering kits, it is a little confusing to me as to why the 61/62 kit would be $150 less than a 63/64...

Can someone school me on what the potential reason would be? Is the suspension setup that different? Could I get away with the kit for 61/62?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Why don't you cut a coil up front & torch one turn on the rear springs if you want to save money ?
    If you have $$ to burn, dropped spindles or uprights is the ''high tech'' way.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

It may be the cheap way but you give up cornering unequal length control arms are set up for a given height. When a car leans in a corner they are designed to keep the tire flat on the road. When you change angle of the arms by cutting the springs it throughs the ability to keep the tire flat on the road off.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I doubt he's going to be cornering his 98 at speeds so great he'll have to worry about the tire tread being flat in relation to the pavement.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've seen off ramps on interstates that are posted at 25 that I would hate to try at 40

6. cmarcus

cmarcus

Thanks guys. I’ve cut coils on previous cars and want to do it right this time. Still curious on how much of a suspension difference between 61/62 and 63/64. I know there is only about a 50 lb difference.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would caution you to not make any judgments based on the illustrations by the seller. It is fairly common to use the same image for similar, but actually different in detail, products. I would contact the vendor and ask for more details before I'd decide to 'cheap out' on the suspension mods.

Ray

9. cmarcus

cmarcus

Hey Ray,
    Definitely wasn't going based on the photos - that was just a screenshot showing the two part #s and prices. That is why I am on here asking if anyone knows the TRUE difference between the suspension setups. There is only a 50 lb curb weight difference in the cars. I can't imagine that little difference makes such a huge difference in coils/shocks? But I am no suspension genius, hence why I am here. I did reach out to Jamco to see if they could provide some clarification.

10. cmarcus

cmarcus

I started emailing with Tony G over there, and he has been extremely responsive. And according to the BBB, they are no A+ accredited....

He just got back to me and informed me that the kit was put together wrong (it appears that he literally put together the Deluxe Lowering Kit upon my request, and it is now a Jamco part #...pretty awesome customer service in my book!) and the price has been fixed to reflect.

So, all good on my end!

charleyw and 302GMC like this.