Register now to get rid of these ads!

60s Vans making come back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A4ord

A4ord

Gee,it seems the little Commer gets around.Here's some photos at Kelly's place last week.Interesting to see what's gunna happen to it.Got a 70's Van book somewhere,try and find it soon.

Attached Files:

2. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

there were a few vans at the route 66 car show in san bernardino last year. i thought i took more pictures (some of the interiors of these things were crazy), but I can only find this one :(

Attached Files:

3. A4ord

A4ord

Found some early van photos(70's),not the best shots but love the interiors. The little Hillman was 30 years ago and was it built by Pete Chapouris? Would he build another one? Keep on roddin'.

Attached Files:

4. I remember the Gladiator, one of my favorites.
    [​IMG]

5. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A100 all business , no hippie shit .

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Van slam is making a comeback! I have been predicting it for like 2 years and then last week at the local cruise 2 showed up! They still have a show for them up in Courtland.
    My parents still have their van slam 70s Dodge van. I plan to 'barn find' it sometime in the next couple weeks!
    Unfortunately they de-shagged it in the 80s to make it more "family friendly"!

Are you a 2%er? ;)

7. I love vans. I've had an itch to build an early 70's econoline for years.

8. slow64

slow64
    from MB, Canada

The guy that sells me dog food has a sweet yellow Econoline on vintage torque thrusts. Very 1968.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Great pictures and links guys.THANKS!.............anymore out there?

10. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

In 1972 when the twins came along we outgrew the '68 Plymouth Satillite and we bought a new Ford E100 302/C4 and a camping we went.

Here are a few pictures of vans from my files.

Attached Files:

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

my dad and uncle both had vans in the 70's. They were bad ass. my uncle still has his with the mural and all. I was just talking about this with a friend the other day also.

12. OLLIN

OLLIN

13. More amd more customers are comming in to have us do estimates for 70's looking paint...alot on the vans. Please don't bring back paneling, cobwebbing and endlessline..........
    Here is a few pics of our most recent jobs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The van below is owned by a local hotwheels collector that wanted us to paint his van with a big nod to the redline hotwheels SUPERVAN.
    [​IMG]

A little photo shop revealed a van that was lil too 70's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below is what we finally decided on and ultimately dilevered to him
    [​IMG]

Go here for full build pics:
    http://www.cleancutcreations.com/mpgmcvan.html

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Vans are way cool, they hold a lot of sheep if you take the seats ou.

15. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i had 2 vans when i was a hippy,2 bikes when i was a biker,4 or 5 cars as a rodder, hell i may buy a house oneday

16. Some of you guys may remember me posting this before but what the heck...
    We're revisitin g vans, right?

This is a contemporary take on a late 70s early 80s style So Cal surf mobile.
    [​IMG]

...Oh, and I love the flame job clean cut creations

17. John B

John B

I've been thinking that I need a vintage van for my trophy shop. Sure beat making deliverys in my everyday driver (Saturn)

18. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Wow, that tie dye is sweet! Is that paint or vinyl? How is that done? I'm impressed!

19. It's a full vinyl wrap. We scanned one of my tye dyed shirts and blew it up. We did this one on the cheap for a customer to give to his brother on his 50th Birthday. Needless to say he was stoked!!!!

20. x2 - Saw some old school VW bus pics. Definitely good to see somebody busted out their old school pics and put that site together.

21. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I wanted a van in 1981 when I was 11. Now? Not so much.

Back then, I also wanted to take George Barris's kustom van painting course, so I wrote off for the introductory brochure--and, of course he sent me like 11 of them, trying to get me to spend money I literally didn't have.

Wish I still had the brochures--it was swingin' '70s bad George Barris with big smoked shades and muttonchops.

"... so I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time ... "--Abe Simpson

22. 55olds88

55olds88

It wouldn't surprise me a bit, I have been saying for a couple of years about the only thing that hasn't been re-cycled is vans....

23. JamesG

JamesG

Here's our club van there we will prolly never build.

[​IMG]

24. ozbumpkin

ozbumpkin

Plan for this van is go kustom with a 289 Windsor is do-able as these vans have a Sunbeam Tiger floor pan & brakes.

Attached Files:

25. cretin

cretin

kinda hard to pick up on sarcasm when its typed on the internet

26. DrJ

DrJ

Anybody remember the VanAddicts from San Gabriel Valley?

27. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

made fun of them in the 70's, now curiously intrigued.
    1LowLeSabre: that is bitchin'.

28. Can't sleep so going to throw my 2 cents in. actually been thinking for awhile..."What the hell happened to all those Custom Vans from back in the day?" Being from the rust belt (Cleveland, Ohio), most probably rusted out.
    My older brother took me to many van shows. Hell, they even had one inside the local mall (circa 1977?) Some of the workmanship in these rolling dens of iniquity, was simply amazing. I have some old photo's but would have to scan them. Will try this weekend.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

JT

29. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

CLEANCUT???Why the wrap? if you do paint...got a lot of "issues" with wraps....Was it that much cheaper to do for the customers budget ??? How long will it last with normal use...fading,cracking ...just got an issue(Limited edition) of "Wraps -magazine)...they show some absolute horror story photos with wraps. Like the imprint going RIGHT through the vinyl and "staining" the paint underneath . Plus some ugly photos of cracking, alligater skin ,pealing and tearing with age. Fill us in .

30. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

jbird just went to the 25th van nationals in july.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.